COMPARISON: Wurkkos TS10 v. FWAA

I like both lights, but neither are perfect.

FWAA:

• Beam pattern is too floody
  • no aux leds
  • stock clip sucks. However, the alternate deep carry clip is quite good when modified to remove the extra bend.
  • Overall, I’d rate the FWAA is more reliable than the TS10. I’ve never had an FWAA fail, but I have had individual leds in the TS10 fail.

TS10:

• Stock beam pattern and color temperature are both quite a bit nicer than the FWAA.
  • Stock clip sucks, but it is possible to get a slightly better clip.
  • CSP leds are very sensitive. I’ve had a number burn out during ordinary use (fully topped off battery running in turbo. But I do not refresh the turbo. Instead I led the temp sensor reduce it). Running a light in this manner isn’t abusing it. It should be able to handle it. But in my experience, the CSP leds tend to gradually dim and sometimes burn out. I’ve had this happen on two different TS10s. I also no longer use Vapcell H10 with these lights since they clearly can’t handle the current. On the upside, the CSP leds are extremely cheap, so I was able to reflow fresh LEDs on. I was able to buy 10 CSP leds from Wurrkos for about the same price as a single Nichia 519a.
  • Smaller selection of “premium” materials. TS10 was available in aluminum and brass. FWAA was available in aluminum, titanium with a variety of finishes, copper, ti-cu.

Both lights are very compact and quite mod friendly.

For everyday carry, I find I prefer the grip and form factor or a Sofirn SP10 Pro modded with the leds star and bezel of a TS10. This gives a nice little triple with sideswitch. And it helps the CSP leds that the SP10 Pro’s driver does not deliver very high current. I added a cut down washer around the button to reduce accidental pocket activation.

Is it possible to buy the ts10 bezel and led board separately from Wurkkos?

I hesitatted to comment here because I don’t have the FWAA. But the grip thing caught my attention. After reading this I played with my TS10 quite a bit last night. Now I had never noticed any grip problem, so apparently I have had no problem with it in the past. My experimentation just confirmed that. The light is a bit slippery, but in either the “cigar” or “handshake” grips I had absolutely no problems maintain control of the light. . Nor did I feel like I was in danger or dropping it. So it is a very small and smooth light, I don’t think control is a problem (for me).
As I said, I have no FWAA lights to compare it to, so whether it is better or worse in this regard, I cannot say.

1 Thank

Maybe. You might send a message to Carrie or Terry on here to ask. They seem to be a little more hesitant to sell parts that don’t involve warranty issues compared to Sofirn, but they’re friendly. (Actually, I read here recently that someone asked for a Wurkkos part when talking to a Sofirn aliexpress rep/chat and got what they wanted that way. Early on, Sofirn on ali sold me some of the cool Wurkkos blue switch trim rings without any hesitation and for cheap.)

Looking at the business end of both lights, the TS10 reminded me of something. Whereas, the FWAA did not. I finally figured out what I saw in the makeup of the TS10 emitters; the triple spiral of a triskelion.