Convoy C8 w/Cree XM-L2 modding questions

I’m new to all this so please bear w/me! My light is a Convoy C8 w/Cree XM-L2 (T6-3C 2 group 3/5 mode, “new” version as seen HERE). Bought it for casual use around the house. All stock except for an AR glass lens from Outdoor Store.

Before getting into the mods I’m considering, I have a question. While swapping lenses, I lost the small plastic spacer that sits between the base of the reflector and the LED/star. The way it sits, without the spacer the reflector and lens is tight w/o any movement and the reflector will not touch the star with the end cap tight, so I’m wondering if it’s okay to go without the spacer or if it has to/should be there. I have a replacement spacer that fits correctly, but I like the beam w/o the spacer.

How is the reflector not touching the star ?

The reflector wont be touching the star as the height of the isolator is missing. I’d suggest working out what the minimum thickness the isolator can be to get the reflector to sit correctly and sand the isolator down to suit.

The reflector has a lip on the large end that lets the reflector locate on the ‘bell’ of the light. The depth of the LED/star below the bell is greater than the depth (or length) of the reflector. So the reflector is in no way dependent on any contact with the star/emitter, to hold it tightly in position.

I have an isolator that fits correctly- it takes up just the right amount between the reflector and the star.

What I want to know is, can I simply leave out the isolator or does it have some other necessary function?

Unless the MCPCB (star) is secured to the head of the torch with screws, then you will need the isolator(centering ring) to apply pressure to keep it in place. It may just be held on at the moment by the surface tension of the thermal compound. (although it is possible that the thermal compound used is also an adhesive).

Second purpose of the centering ring, is that it’s a centering ring, which should guide the reflector opening over the LED to make sure it’s in the middle.

Yeah, it’s screwed down. Thanks everyone for the help. Imma leave it out for the time being. I have some plans not yet finalized that’ll require a different pill so the whole thing’s gonna change anyway.

I see now, your link to new version is the new 2 years ago version, mine are the new recent version, my reflector will hit a Notigon without the spacer centering ring.
seams like people are after the pilled version of the C8.

Sorry, I wasn’t aware there was a newer version than mine- although I do recall some discussion revolving around pill vs. no pill, just don’t recall if this was about the Convoy C8. I know just enough to be dangerous…

ETA I bought mine from FT, it was actually advertised as a XM-L. It wasn’t until recently I realized it was the newer (2nd, gen?) version that has a XM-L2 on a pill. Blind hog vs. acorn type deal.

I am also learning, I tried mine without spacer and it spread out the beam on my new C8 with xpg2, big difference in lux.

didn’t make much difference on my M2 xpl hi with or without the spacer.