Convoy H1 - Disassembly, Testing, and Modding

okay, thanks, I looked up what film it is.
How can I tell which lens is compatible?

edit: these types? https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/5pc9ct/convoy_s2_tir_lens_1015254560strip

Not thoseā€¦those are the usual 20mm for the S2+ and such. He started selling a smaller 17mm for the H1 with a square mount for 5050 emitters (XML, SST40, etc). Lots of options now. If you want to try some different angles he may be willing to mix and match the 5pc order if you send him a message (sometimes he does, sometimes he doesnā€™t).

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803132006913.html

Thereā€™s probably some at the popular Yajiamei Optics Store, tooā€¦they sell them with and without the holders so be sure to look at the dimensions (like a lot of 17mm listings are actually 15mm optics). Itā€™s a good shop but the shipping these days makes it less of a bargain. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1100564393

1 Thank

If you have the OP lens, DC fix works wonders on the convoy headlamps. Especially the H3. Itā€™s so ring-y. The h3 feels kinda dumb, heavy 21700 for only 1 emitter, but then you put a little dime sized thing of DC fix on it and boom, itā€™s instantly amazing. And now that extra 3amps and the runtime from the 21700 makes sense, shine through the DC fix. Now you donā€™t have to worry about the DC fix soaking up too much output and the light being too dim, DC fix doesnā€™t get in the way of anything. And any traces of rings are completely gone

I bought the H2 by accident, instead of the H1ā€¦ and it has a clear leans instead of TIR. And Convoy doesnā€™t want to sell me a mixed set of TIR lenses.

ā€œProfessional Outdoor Lightingsā€ on Aliexpress was willing to send me 1x45 degree and 1x60 degree TIR lenses. I just received them and Iā€™m trying to figure out how to mount them.
The TIR lens doesnā€™t fit when I slide the TIR lens into the original reflecting cone, the stack is too tall. If I remove the reflecting cone, the TIR lens isnā€™t mounted tightly. I tried removing the white ring under the cone, and the stackup is slightly too tall thread in the front piece.

Edit: I removed the front glass piece and its rubber ring, now it fits, I guess.

Any pointers?

I learned this week that the ones that come stock with a TIR have a little copper shelf behind the board that lifts the emitter up a little closer that the ones with a reflector donā€™t have. So thatd do it. I guess youā€™d take the board out, put that shelf behind it (itā€™s like the size of a dime but thinner, and solid copper) and thermal paste them back together. But thereā€™s also variations between reflectors. Also the TIR doesnt have a gasket.

I see, interesting. does anyone have the dimensions of that copper shelf?

It might be in the the convoy tactical ring thread in Simonā€™s reply to me. Also thereā€™s a picture that I took in that thread too. Not a great one

I took it apart today and remembered this. Better late than never. I donā€™t have calipers but its this big

Fits right in that little spot of aluminum. Iā€™m calling it 17mm x 1.5mm assuming convoy boards are sized right. Picture next to a 20mm x 1.6mm convoy board and a Canadian dime. Little bigger than a 16mm x 1mm board, little thicker. Not quite as thick as a 1.6mm board. So thatā€™s my guess. Maths!

1 Thank

thatā€™s great, those dimensions I can work with. Iā€™ll try to mill my own spacer. thanks!