Convoy L1 - A rare bird

Got this L1 model in the recent Convoy blemished sales. I’ve never heard of this model. Seems like a very old design with a giant pill which accepts 20mm star and 20mm driver.

It came with a 1st gen XML and a 7135x6 driver. Removed them right away and put in an SFT-40 6500K and a spare 6A linear 12 mode groups driver that I removed from upgrading a M21A. It immediately breathed a fresh life into this aging model.

Beam is typical deep reflector thrower beam. With a OP reflector the hotspot is somewhat diffused but still quite throwy.

There is a stainless ring on the tail which can be removed. It made the button very deep and a bit hard to press but it looks good so I will keep it on.

The tactical ring has very sharp edges which hurts the hand after holding in for bit, especially coupled with the hard to press button, it really digs into the skin. As a result I sanded down the edges to make it smoother.

Overall not a bad hunt for $11. It has simple and robust construction that you can take completely apart. With a modern driver and emitter upgrade it can be a good backup thrower.

12 Thanks

Nice. Thanks for sharing the tear down photo.

Looks like you did a tasteful job of sanding the tactical ring.

2 Thanks

Looks very cool. That tailswitch cavity looks hella recessed though - but I guess the tactical ring gives you more purchase to activate it ‘cigar grip’ style. Looks really deep in there though.

3 Thanks

I want to say these go back to the early Fasttech days but may be wrong on that.
Regardless do remember them and this is why people should not “FooFoo” older flashlights, some were built like a Brick Sheethouse.

Personally like the big threaded pill vs integrated shelf as it gives more flexibility to thicker mpcb boards and lens thickness without a problem.
It is the little brother to the L2 like here;

Comparable version of L2 is the K-08.

Convoy also made a dual 26650 version of that L1 model under the Lustefire brand (I know what a great name)
Think I may still have one of those in the basement MIB, will look later this week.
Edit; just looked and it is model Lustefire U2-D01.

2 Thanks

I love it

Where is the Convoy blemish sale.

It happens every Chinese new year. When Convoy took off all the flashlights from Aliexpress listing, Simon will put up listings for blemished / old models for very cheap and they were often sold out within a day. Next time when it’s Chinese new year, visit Convoy Aliexpress shop everyday to try and grab a good one. Most of those only have very minor surface imperfections but they all come with old drivers and emitters like XML, XML2 and 7135 based drivers. Makes good host if you can replace the drivers and emitters.

5 Thanks

Will definitely check, TY

Classic neon green tailcap boot, those were the days :stuck_out_tongue:

Great teardown, cool warehouse find from Simon, I missed the blemish sales, I’ll have to watch next year.

1 Thank