Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

I’ve ordered the host but cannot decide on which emitter to use. Could someone who has tried multiple emitter in this light provide a mini-rundown of the differences.

I see most people are trending towards going with an XP-L HI for its superior throw. I’m worried that going this route would make a light with excellent throw but poor flood. Would a normal XP-L make a floodier light which would be better for general illumination in 0-100m range?

While I rely on others to mod my lights at this point I can tell you that if you’re looking for flood this is not the light for you. Due to it’s design it pretty much a dedicated thrower without major modification. It does have a fair amount of useful spill but the hotspot on this light even with a dome-on emitter is really tight and really bright. The stock light comes with a dome-on XM-L2 and it’s truly the tightest spot I’ve seen from a dome-on and the XPL has the same size emitter so… The hotspot would be distracting IMHO if you wanted flood from this one. You could try stippling the reflector for a bit more diffuse beam pattern. I’ll let more qualified people take it from here but that’s my two bits.

Having a few XP-L HI throwers and not a single a XM-L2 (only XM-L)

My next build will be a XM-L2 U3 3D from intl-outdoor.com

Great tint and great U3 power

How a XM-L2 U3 3D compares to XPL V6 3D is something I’ll let someone else with more experience post an answer.
Does the larger XM-L2 footprint handle 5 amps better with my soon to arrive 17mm MTN-MAXlp HP 4A-5.5A Low-Profile Buck Driver - 5V-15V
?
Will be running 2*18350 until a 2 cell tube is available.

Just a hint for screwing up the driver retainer as anything with fine threads is easy to cross thread. Turn the retainer as if you were unscrewing it whilst keeping it square. You should be able to feel when the threads drop into each other. As soon as this happens start turning the retainer the opposite way to do it up making sure that the retainer is screwing up squarely.

The milling on the socket appeared to be the problem, out of alignment. So if you screwed in the retaining ring normally it wasn’t making full contact. Forcing it down and soldering in place made all the problems with driver go away and the switch operates exactly as one would expect.

I’ve had problems with this flashlight, but I have been able to illuminate a cell phone tower 380m from my living room window. And that is damn cool.

I also ordered a L2 host from banggood with coupon for $25

Will use a FET+1 driver but can not decide which led. I am going for throw!
Dedomed XM-L2 V6 1D
XP-L HI V2 3C
Dedomed XP-G2 S4 2B

If you want max throw go with the dedomed XP-G2, but if you also want high output I would go with the XP-L HI.

Considering the ridiculously tight hotspot this the L2 has with the stock domed XM-L2 I think the XPL-HI would give awesome throw. Simon said he’ll be adding the XPL-HI centering rings to the store soon. Did I mention the next batch L2 is coming stock with XPL-HI? Probably AR glass as well if it’s produced in time. If not it will be added as soon as it’s ready and at the very least will be a selectable customization option from Simon’s store just like choosing your emitter tint. The AR glass option is also being added to the S2+ and C8 on Simon’s store.

Im suprised AR isnt stock for C8, let alone L2 :o ?!

Simon doesn’t (or at least didn’t) personally put much stock in AR glass. Since he wasn’t impressed by it I stressed how much we flashlight geeks are impressed and want it in our lights. So he is listening and he is accommodating us. He’s always used quality glass but AR coating is icing on the cake and squeezing out every extra lumen does matter to most here.

I see, but reading all the thrower test threads here where people check output before/after various upgrades made me believe that quality AR lens together with other upgrades makes for substantial output increase.

I agree. That’s why I asked him to start making AR coated glass for the L2. Based on my last conversation with Simon it will be an option when you order an S2+ or C8 and will come stock on the L2. If all goes as planned it will be AR glass by the time the next L2 batch is produced and available for purchase separately if you already have an L2 and want the AR coated lens.

J-Dub74 , it seem you are in touch with Simon, will you ask him what had happened with the Convoy c8 pressure switch?
Or at least could you ask him to sell us tail caps only? i had no luck in that matter

Mitko,
I just sent him an email on your behalf with that question. I’ll PM you if/when he responds so we can keep this thread about the L2 :wink:

I ordered my L2 from Banggood and it came with the crappiest lens I’ve ever seen on a flashlight that I’ve purchased. It was cloudy all the way through. I put a fet+1 and a xp-l hi in it and the beam pattern was awful. I ordered a couple of 59mm UCLp lenses from flashlightlens.com, shaved 1mm off of each one since the lens for the L2 is 58mm, then replaced the crappy glass lens in the L2. The difference is unbelievable. You can’t even tell that there’s a lens in it. I don’t know if it was just a bad batch of lenses or if Banggood is selling garbage. The reflector had a couple of bad spots in it too. I’m through whining now, the beam on my L2 looks great.

You could simply ask for a 58mm UCLp from Chris at flashligthlens.com and he'll get them made. UCLp's he can do in single piece requests, same thickness though of course.

Think I did this twice.

I read a clause on his site about a minimum order for a custom size and assumed it applied to glass and UCLp, lol. I really like the lens so I’m sure I’ll be ordering from him again.

That’s not whining. That’s a very legitimate complaint and I’m surprised and disappointed to hear this and I will absolutely pass this on to Simon. Whether or not this came from his manufacturer he needs to know this is happening as it effects his reputation. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. While I only have one L2 the glass is perfect. It’s not the beautifully invisible UCLp glass you are describing but it is absolutely clear with no visible flaws. I’ll alert Simon to this issue.

Today I received a second L2. This one came from BG and was ordered just 15 days ago. My first L2 came direct from Simon.

Looking closely at them, I cannot tell them apart, same all over and inside, same box and what-all.
Also the newer one has the same sporadic problem with half-press to change modes. Sometimes works, sometimes takes several presses.

As for output, they look the same so far. I will be making a mark on one of them to signify which is which.

Very happy with both of them.

Ok so I don’t want to muck up this thread with the negatives, but I am communicating all of the issues to Simon so they can be worked out before the next batch is produced. It sounds like VaKo may have figured out the problem with the few driver issues. What I would like is for anyone that has a visible flaw that appears to be from the manufacturing process to PM a picture to me so that I can show Simon exactly what the issues are and he can have the QC issues addressed. I’m not talking about a minute scratch in the anodizing but true manufacturing defects if any are visible. I’ve invested a lot of time in this and I love this light so I will do all I can within reason to make sure the few bugs are worked out. Thank you all for your feedback.