Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

You could simply ask for a 58mm UCLp from Chris at flashligthlens.com and he'll get them made. UCLp's he can do in single piece requests, same thickness though of course.

Think I did this twice.

I read a clause on his site about a minimum order for a custom size and assumed it applied to glass and UCLp, lol. I really like the lens so I’m sure I’ll be ordering from him again.

That’s not whining. That’s a very legitimate complaint and I’m surprised and disappointed to hear this and I will absolutely pass this on to Simon. Whether or not this came from his manufacturer he needs to know this is happening as it effects his reputation. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. While I only have one L2 the glass is perfect. It’s not the beautifully invisible UCLp glass you are describing but it is absolutely clear with no visible flaws. I’ll alert Simon to this issue.

Today I received a second L2. This one came from BG and was ordered just 15 days ago. My first L2 came direct from Simon.

Looking closely at them, I cannot tell them apart, same all over and inside, same box and what-all.
Also the newer one has the same sporadic problem with half-press to change modes. Sometimes works, sometimes takes several presses.

As for output, they look the same so far. I will be making a mark on one of them to signify which is which.

Very happy with both of them.

Ok so I don’t want to muck up this thread with the negatives, but I am communicating all of the issues to Simon so they can be worked out before the next batch is produced. It sounds like VaKo may have figured out the problem with the few driver issues. What I would like is for anyone that has a visible flaw that appears to be from the manufacturing process to PM a picture to me so that I can show Simon exactly what the issues are and he can have the QC issues addressed. I’m not talking about a minute scratch in the anodizing but true manufacturing defects if any are visible. I’ve invested a lot of time in this and I love this light so I will do all I can within reason to make sure the few bugs are worked out. Thank you all for your feedback.

Your communication in this thread & with simon is very good. I really like what you’re doing and how you’re handling things. Thanks again J-Dub for sweating it out for all of us. Appreciated :wink:

Well shucks. Thanks buddy. I’m happy to help and to be a part of all this great forum and it certainly is nice to hear that it’s appreciated.

Heck a compliment like that deserves to be followed with good news…

How’s this?

Here is the link to buy it Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com
It’s about $3 more than the XM-L2 version and you have three XPL-HI tint choices. :bigsmile:
I’ll add this and more info to the OP later today. I thought he was going to wait until the next version but he hit me with this link this morning. :beer:

I spoke with Simon about the driver issues. Thanks again VaKo for the feedback. Simon did his own checking and found the issue too. I’m sure this will be remedied in the next batch. He is now adding a little solder blob on the driver that resolves the issue so an L2 purchased directly through Simon from this point on should not have the potential driver issue. The machining must be just a hair off because not all L2s have the problem. It stinks that this happened but the fix seems easy enough for anyone who owns a soldering iron.

His exact response when I told him what VaKo described was “I found this problem, now I add tin at the edge of the driver”.

+1

Any info on the XP-L HI center ring being sold separately?

Thanks

I’m just happy it’s all going so well. I won’t know until tomorrow about the centering rings being sold separately. It might be a little difficult since it’s just a tiny piece of plastic. He will certainly need to have a minimum quantity. What I can tell you is that is if you are already placing an order for anything he sells you can just message him and he’ll include them with your order. If you’re just looking for one or two he’s probably not going to charge you anything. I think that’s going to be easier for him than selling them separately but I did ask and I will post his response.

On a shinier note, extra reflectors will be made with an upcoming production run of the L2 and should be made available for those needing them for custom build purposes. If however you received a damaged L2 reflector send me a PM.

I thought the new L2 with XP-L HI was supposed to have different knurling? Or is this still in the original hosts?

XP-L HI center ring in pack of 10 pcs. would be great as they should be good for C8 also ?

Yes, the new one will have different knurling… and an extension tube… and a different driver. This is not that. This is still the original design but with XPL-HI as the star of the show. I actually didn’t expect to see the XPL-HI in a stock L2 until the new design was released. I’m guessing that when he made the centering ring he had to try it out and then had a wow moment when he saw the results. He just dropped this one on me in the same email telling me the Green S2+ was listed. I was surprised and quite pleased.

Nice. Beamshots are impressive

I believe he said they were designed for a 9mm opening so if that is the same as the C8 then it will work. I could check my C8 when I get home tonight but somebody here probably knows. The other centering rings he has listed are sold in lots of 20 at $0.19 each so I’d assume they will be listed the same and the price will be about the same. Even if you need to buy 20 it’s only $3.80 and you can share with other BLF members in your area for the cost of an envelope and a stamp. :slight_smile: As I’ve mentioned before though if you’re placing an order for anything else and only want a few, just send Simon a message through the store and he will add smaller quantities to the package. That’s how I’ve done things with him in the past. When I ordered my S3 I wanted to add a clip but the minimum quantity was 5 and I had no use for the other 4. I sent him a message and it was no problem He just threw the clip in with my light. Didn’t charge me a penny. I’m not promising that he’s giving away goods of course but it’s not unheard of and my point is that he’s very easy to work with.

Just a quick note. I added more info about the XPL-HI version to the OP with all the details on the three available emitters.

XPL HI V2-1A CW 6500-7000K (this comes standard)
XPL HI U6-3A NW 5000-5300K (add $0.50)
XPL HI U6-4B NW 4500-4700K (add $0.50) This one is on the warmer side of neutral.

I also confirmed with Simon that the slight machining error effecting the driver function on some of the current L2 lights will be corrected in the next version and any L2 shipping from Simon now should already have this fix.

If anyone one missed it and does have a driver issue I explained the fix in post #588 Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

Edit I corrected the XPL-HI descriptions

Should be -- ?

XPL HI V2-1A CW 6500-7000K (this comes standard)

XPL HI U6-3A NW 5000-5300K (add $0.50)

XPL HI U6-4B WW 4500-4700K (add $0.50)

Also, no way is a 4B tint WW (Warm White) - it's just a slightly warmer neutral. 5's are also still neutral. This is Simon's posting of the WW designation.

3 is warmer than I care for, if you send me a reel of 5’s I’ll trash em for being orange.

Perspective, I guess.

For me, by definition, neutral is absence of tint. Warm at all is warm white, as it transgresses on white.

That is entirely my fault. Simon simply gave me the color values. I simplified it into the three basic categories but you are correct that 4500-4700K is just a bit more on the warmish side of neutral. That’s my bad; however, those are the three choices available at this time.

For the record I think they are decent tint choices, especially considering the difficulty of finding good tints in HI right now