Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

Has anybody done a review on a stock L2 XPL HI with measurements (lumens/lux/throw)? The ones I’ve seen are from after a mod/mods of some sort.

I realize that this is pretty much built for modding, but if the intent is as a gift to a non-flashaholic… Errr, they probably won’t care much, I guess. Just out of interest, if the figures are available somewhere.

Thanks!

Any buck driver for Convoy L2 ?

I want to power an xp-g2 with 4.5-5 amps from 2 cells. I know about the MTN buck drivers , but i was looking for something cheaper .

Modding the default driver as you prolly know how will give you a steady 4.5 amps at the emitter

I didn’t know it was moddable.
What resistors i need ?

Its About 80-85k cds( start at 100k but rapidly ramps down), about 900 lumens ( the V2 1A version at least, at 3amp tail current)…the real throw should be like 300 meters TOPS( again, real USABLE throw)

Kinda weak though this host is for modding not for default using.

One could make the argument that Mr. Mitko tends to have strong opinions. :wink:

This is a public service announcement:

Keep in mind people that opinions vary…

Here is my take if anyone cares to hear it:

The L2 has EXCELLENT build quality and is a good thrower stock. :+1:

Properly modded the L2 goes from good to great. It’s a killer host. :+1:

I do agree that it is much better modded but I respectfully disagree that it is not a good stock light.

Like most throwers it really comes to life with more power to the LED and a bit of tuning for perfect focus.

…and now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Hi Guys,

I made a few small lights comparisons.
First photos of 100m on the right side tree.

Next photos 200m on the right side tree.

My stock L2 XPL-HI V2 1A 200m nicely lit, the light there is also strong. 300m illuminated up there but it was not dark. The tree can be seen from her.
It’s a f@*g good stock light!

Just a hint, looks like you reduced the number of colours in your animated GIF to 32 or 16… this looks not very good, better use all 256 colour values if possible.

K.

Well its a major BLF sin for me to keep that beauty as it is, especialy comparing it with the new C8 that deals 70k cds by default, dont you think?
yet, the driver could be modded and with those new mcpcbs( it has new ones indeed, non dtp ones but good) one could easy reach 160-170k cds without any future investments exept reading for tips and tricks in BLF and some handywork ofc

See? From Bulgaria to the Heart of Texas it’s a widely known fact that a flashaholic modifies his lights, regardless of how they perform out of the box. It’s a given! :smiley:

Are you sure it does 80kcd stock? That sounds really low for stock 3A xpl hi.

My L2 driver arrived defective, but I put in a qlite 3.04A and an XPL HI v2-3b on noctigon to try and get near stock numbers. I got 136kcd.

100% m8, you dont know how many of those i`ve modded so far…it starts at 100-110k, then raidly ramping down to 80-85k, test it yourself
Its the driver issue ,(that is fixable), but as long as you use 3.0a amps qlite driver you are good to go…or good to go till those 7135 start throttling due to the heat :slight_smile:

MTN has good drivers, also Dale/Tom here could help you : a 20mm fet DD driver is the way to go here, with a V6/U4 or why not W2 and 1800-1900 lumens/280k cds it destroys everything in that price range

The one thing that we need now is a single battery L6 SMO based host :smiley:

I finaly made mine today( 10x to J-Dub and Simon ofc), with a W2 DDed emitter and a dual switch offtime driver( simple 4 modes + moonlight) it gives nearly 1900 lumens and 343k cds, the hotspot is great too: L2 looking one

It has the potential to become a legent as X6/C8

P.S
With a sliced XHP70 it gives like 140k kcds( driver not modded yet, by default), tons of lumens and the best hotspot seen on a SMO reflector so far( at least for me)

drools

I’d rather like to see a L2 with momentary side switch. My L2 with short tube, FET+1 and dedomed XP-L V6 1A is a great thrower (about 280,000 Cd), very handy, and with momentary it would be perfect.

Ha! Well said m8! :wink:

Thanks for reminding me about DTP for the L2. It will be stock soon. So many irons in the fire I can’t keep up!

Yeah…we had it bad enough before you started your mission to megalumenate the flashlight world Dale.

I’m trying to figure out why you haven’t turned the L2 or L6 into a quad yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t mean that to be a challenge…or do I? :cowboy_hat_face:

Man, if only I had some influence with Convoy… :weary:

Oh…wait… :smiley:

The L6 host is on it’s way. It will be listed in the Convoy store very soon. :+1:

Oh, but then there’s the single battery thing… :frowning:

Oh…wait… I forgot that I asked Simon to make a single cell tube with the threaded simple and tactical rings and to make it 3mm longer so that it will work with a greater variety of cells including a double 26350 configuration and he agreed to do a small run. :+1:

Maybe someday I’ll be able to talk him into making some more smooth reflectors… :wink:

Stay tuned y’all

Excellent! Will that tube be available before the end of the year?

Thanks for the info (stock L2). I knew it could be modded… Didn’t realize how many different ways and how far you can take the mods to! Whew!

I tend to either keep a light bone-stock if it’s “good enough”, else strip it down and use it only as a host. And nowadays, if I can get just a host, I would.

Just got an L2, played with it a bit, and like it a lot. (Except for thee finish. Kinda rough, feels like one of my parkerised bayonets…)

To me, the beam leaves a bit to be desired (kinda ringy), but it doesn’t suck. I’d be very interested in hearing about the “tuning” for perfect focus. Some say leave a bit of a hole in the middle, others say not. Unno, never played with that either way.

Brightness, nah, I’m not interested in swapping emitters all that much, not in this donk. It does okay, and the nice tight beam has a great throw, pretty much what I was looking for in a thrower.

Haven’t cooked it long enough to tell heat transfer issues or anything of the kind.

So yeah, I’d generally give it a thumbs-up right out of the box.