convoy l2 ideas thread

Thanks for info. That was the one MRsDNF said was noisy. So if one user says its noisy, and another one can hear noise (even if its just slight) Ill put my money on something that could have less chance of noise when buying a 5a driver for multiple cell use…

And yes, option two was the one you linked to. (My link in post 26 works perfectly, but something got messed up when I got quoted in post 34)

I literally had to hold the light against my ear to hear it tbh, and go into a silent room to pick it out, I like the mode spread, and it fit for what I needed. I’ve certainly never had a problem in use.

Im quite sensitive to the whine, so I try my best to avoid it. I can live with it, I just prefer not too.

The last two days I have seen two guys asking about if the whine on their flashlights were normal on this forum, they worried there was something wrong with their flashlights.

I like be able to give a flashlight to someone, or know that I could sell it and dont have to say. “Its supposed to whine like that, its not broken. Perfectly normal… :p. Just put it on high and enjoy all the light!!! Low and medium are for pus…… 0:) ”
Anyway, men usually loose the ability to hear high pitch noises… Im still below 30.
The Qlite nanjg 105C was a real game changer for me. Now I can enjoy 8+ AMC 7135 drivers even on medium. :party:

So, have you decided on parts now? :slight_smile:

for now, nw xp-g2 on alu star (I’ve got a couple) and the 3a driver above (I’ve got one), if I like how this turns out, I’ll get some sink pads (I’ve got an xm-l one, just need a bare xm-l2 emitter) and up the driver current.

if I’m not keen for any reason, I’ll sink pad my nw xm-l2 (or get a few bare ones) and drive it with my 5a driver (assuming it fits).

I’m going to try the mtg-2 to make sure if it fits or not for anyone interested, I may even power it up to check the beam :bigsmile:

I do have high hopes for this host, the driver area is a pain in the arse and could have been better planned ( much deeper, with a reversible retaining ring, 20mm recess on one side, bigger like 23 - 25mm on the other to take the bigger drivers ) ok, it seems to be designed to take a 20mm 3 - 8.4v driver, but surely the designers had some interest in serious lumen output…. :bigsmile:

its arrived……

I’m going to have a play tonight I think. :bigsmile:

Nice! Quality looks great!

-Garry

quality is very impressive, the tube walls are a little thin but its feels a similar weight bare to the stl-v2 pictured that’s loaded.

I really dont think any of the five amp drivers will fit, I do however think an mtg-2 will fit, I’ll find out tonight. I’m planning on xp-g2 3d at 3 amp for now, see how I like it…

Why? Pill depth?

-Garry

How does the quality compare to the torchlite Gordz?

The driver opening and depth really prevents the use of larger drivers, I’ll try the 5a one tonight but I’m sure its a no go.

With regards the torchlight, its an entire step up in design, much heavier duty, much longer tgreads, in that element the convoy doesn’t come close, I do like the convoy reflector though, its threaded so you can easily set the best focus without shims and the like, plus, there is no pill, everything mounts direct to the head, its quite frustrating as that’s the best for heat transfer, yourjjust going to struggle to develop the heat due to the driver options.

If you were to combine the best bits of the two, you’d have an awesome host, just remember the torchlight should have been twice the cost of the convoy….

Thanks Gords, good to know as I was considering one of these 2. I’ll have to mull over it.

the convoy is nice, I’m far from disappointed, and if I had to pick only one, it would be a hard decision, since they are both going to be totally different builds though I don’t intend to have to choose.

it lives J)

I’ll do a full report later on, I still have to tidy the living room….

I was just waiting for it to turn dusk. A quick test against my fandyfire stl-v6, bare in mind, the fandyfire is a cool white xm-l, the l2 is an xp-g2 3d (neutral white).

I don’t know the exact range, but from our back door out across the park and backs of our row of terraced houses, there is a pub, we can just about see the roof and the chimney, the fandyfire can light up the wall but struggles to light the chimney, the l2 clearly lights up the chimney and roof.

So, we’re talking a nice nw tinted light that easily out throws one of the most respected budget throwers, I’m happy with that. It also has a nice useful spill thats not too bright, a criticism levelled at many xm-l throwers and provided you use the supplied (xm-l) convoy l2 centring device, provides a decent pretty ringless beam with a smooth corona to the hotspot. I will attempt wall shots another evening but the hotspot easily blanks out the stl-v6 hotspot at any range.

Sounding good! Lets see them photos! (And be sure to get that living room cleaned up before Mrs. Gords yells!)

-Garry

ok, it appears I only took 3 photos of the build……guess I’ll have to do a strip down.

Here’s the build thread anyway.

http://www.flashlight-emporium.tk/led-flashlight-modifications/convoy-l2-from-fasttech/msg405/?topicseen#new

beam shots. I found a setting thats at least something like what I see an seems to lock settings so its hopefully constant.

Any all are 4 meters from the wall. All on high

Xp-g2 convoy l2

fandyfire stl-v6 standard emitter and driver

convoy on left, fandyfire on right

quick outdoor shot of the l2, my phone cant pick anything up at the range this thing can hit, even in my high ambient light area. I cant wait to get this thing somewhere properly dark now. :bigsmile:

Very nice! Yeah, you need to find a nice dark test range!

-Garry

Way to go another great light

Gary, I have somewhere in mind, I think the neighbours are wondering what’s going on considering my extensive playing testing :bigsmile:

I’m trying not to go on, but an xp-g2 in a big reflector is _ing awesome! I doubt an xm-l could touch it once its on a sinkpad, I’m a bit leery of running it on high for too long yet, although I did lap the star, used diamond liquid and the star is screwed down into the light head.

Once sinkpad mounted I intend to push this towards 5a, as is, it would be damm nice with the standard l2 driver - 2.6a shorty, 2.8a as a club.

So your XP-G2 is not on a SinkPad right now? And would you say the XP-G2 has a wider flood than the XM-L? If so, would it be wider than an XM-L2?

-Garry