convoy l2 ideas thread

what kind of lux measurements are you getting from that beast :slight_smile:

im not sure its more floody, I’ll have to compare it to the zy-t08 (comparable reflectors). give us a minute…

ok, zy-t08 bezel fits inside the l2 bezel lol…

I would guess the outer limit of the flood on the zy-t08 is about two foot bigger diameter than the l2, and the flood of the l2 is as bright as the zy-t08 (mine is still limping at 2.4a). I really like xp-g2’s, I really really like them, and no, its not sinkpadded yet, you could build this for $50ish no problem, took me an hour including trying different emitters and drivers, you could also use a 3a nanjg and 21mm contact board to build a shorty, I just wanted it to look like a proper traditional light. :bigsmile:

sorry jmpaul, no lux meter yet.

its velly velly bwite. sics tousand lumen easy :bigsmile:

as I say, by eye its easily beating an stl-v6, their about 50k if I remember correctly, so its over that, I need to get it somewhere with more range to figure its limits, also I’m in a town, lots of light pollution.

we’re planning on a northern England blf meet, I’ve suggested a certain location because we camp on a lake thats long and narrow, should be fun.

Something for convoy,I wanted just one or two,but this was min. order

This is pic. before shipping,now few weeks of waiting.

Nice build gords!

What the heck are those led4power?

6 amps linear driver for L2+XM-L2.(21.5mm diameter)
input:2.9-16V
current: hw/sw selectable up to 6Amps(9Amps easy upgrade if it’s needed for something else),pwm-less modes,
Pic12f683,low volt. detection,overtemp. ntc protection,reverse polarity protection,mosfet isn’t on this board,I’ll solder it on generic 1W led MCPCB and mount it on bottom of L2 driver hole(fujik)
Why this custom driver? Because no 5+Amps driver available,that would fit in a small convoy driver hole,and this is simplest/cheapest/fastest solution for me.
You’ll probably ask what about xm-l2 high voltage,well I’ll drive this thing with 2 Lifepo4 3300mAh 26650 cells,not very efficient(cca. 65%),but constant 5-6amps xm-l2 in a beast host,I don’t care :slight_smile:
It can run with 2 li-ion cells off coarse,but efficiency will be worse 50-55%,plus extra 10W heat generated on mosfet.

Thanks

That sounds intersting, let us know how it works out!

you have my attention 8)

The efficiency looks quite horrid honestly. The driver will be like an oven.

XP-G2 on a SinkPAD? What are you nuts pushing it maximum usable current?
I thought the peak output was around 2.4-2.6A on copper.

Hi all,

My L2 turned up a couple of days ago, & I had a chance to mod it a little over the w/end.

For now, It’s just a shorty 26650 with 9*7135 driver, XML-U2 1A De-domed.

I’m still coming to grips with the lux measurements - the meter was on the 200,000 setting.

Output on the luxmeter @ 1m ;

Convoy L2 Stock U2-1B; 410.
Convoy L2 XML-U2 1A Dedome @ 3.2a; 705.

Some pics;

The driver candidate;

Still practicing my driver stacking;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Clamped down in the head;

Finished;

I’ll probably change things around again, but what WAS interesting, & I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned in any of the L2 threads, is that the DRY driver I have lying around will fit in this head….

Ah darn it, I never have enough of Match’s graphs. Does he compile them to one thread?
Yep I was looking at the 20mm version and thought probably it was copper.

Good that I’ve cut my hair today so I can’t pull it out because I killed my only XP-G2 R5 3D that could have been a monster thrower. Oh well.

Now tell me, how much will a Nichia 219 survive on a copper SinkPAD? 0:)
Because that’s where that spare one is going to but I don’t want to burn it in flames.
Anybody tried to push a Nichia 219 on a SinkPAD before?

jack, that is exactly what is in my l2, xp-g2 r5 3d, demon thrower with a nice tint lol.

nice job fmc, that’s how I’d have done the shorty too.

Finally did xm-l2 mod.

Dedomed xm-l2 u2 (1a or 1b) on sinkpad,silver paste,lin. driver running at 5.75A(I'm still waiting for pic12f683,so driver temporally runs in single mode=max),powered by 2x lifepo4.Driver works nicely,but not very efficient in this combination with ultra high Vf of xm-l2,but at least current is constant until batteries are empty.

I also made mosfet switch,but just before installing,I measured internal resistance of stock switch,and guess what,2.5mohm!

That's 15mV drop at 6Amps,so i left it stock.

Tint went from 1A/1B to maybe 2T-3S,crappy cri of 65 doesn't help also.

Beam has two rings,one is from stainless bezel,other probably from spacer.

Heat from led transfers to head incredibly fast(3-4sec after turn on head is already warm),and at 35Watts total it gets hot,but still comfortable to hold(this was with 1-2min bursts on max. but I have felling that thermal equilibrium is almost reached within these 2mins).

Lux measurement:

5520lux at 7meters after 20-30sec -> converted to 1m: 270 kcd

Overall,nice numbers,but I'll try other leds with better cri and lower Vf,so I'm hoping to drive them with single mnke.

Excellent results on the dedome. I think starting with a 0D tint gives the best dedome tint result. I have to try that, as I have not been happy with 1X tint dedomes so far.

Several bags of goodies arrived this week from IOS & LCK LED.

I chose this driver, as it’s a direct, no-fuss drop in for the L2. (the picture in the link is wrong).

I was (& still am) planning on hooking it up to one of the XPG-2’s from IOS after the dome has been removed, but first I thought I’d try the MT-G2 on for size, as it’s a perfect fit into the L2’s reflector hole…

Very straight-forward mod to drop in the driver & MT-G board just to check out the MT-G in action, compared to some other lights. The L2 measured 5.2a at the tail with 2*26650’s.

I took some lux measurements in a 3*90deg tube like a few other guys use, & it blows almost everything away;

Stock L2 on high - 64k

L2 + MT-G - 215k

Stock BTU on Turbo - 218k

I lined up a stock CW BTU Shocker, Solarforce MPP1, a C8 XML de-domed @ 2.8a, & the above-mentioned L2+MT-G, & went outside for some comparison shots;

BTU low;

BTU turbo;

MPP1;

C8;

L2+MT-G;

Another comparison between the BTU & L2+MT-G;

BTU turbo;

L2+MT-G;

The flood is big, & I’m sure with a decent reflector & some more amps, it would throw all of that flood quite some distance as well…

Not sure how to do the ‘mouse-over’ frames for direct comparison….someone feel free if you like :slight_smile:

good to know that driver fits, its a good match to the mt-g2, I have that set up in my torchlite host.

Might have to get another l2 and driver then. :party:

Mouse over on your last two shots (BTU Turbo = Mouse Out, L2 = Mouse Over):

Another, BTU Turbo = Mouse Out, L2 = Mouse Over:

Very Nice!

-Garry

Thanks Garry :slight_smile: