Convoy L21A initial disappointment - feeling a bit better about it now

So a few updates.

I’m getting 6.63amps at the tailcap. This is on a cheap Multimeter using some 12g wires. But isn’t a clamp type, just a normal meter. Considering the lumen and throw figures seem about right, I suspect this is about what to expect.

I’ve not seen the L21A lined up with the FT03 before, so took some pictures. Overall very similar sized.

The L21A is quite a bit heavier though. It must have more material in the head. It is also a lot less balanced being very head heavy vs the FT03. I’m guess this will help with heat and better stability on High. but is maybe somewhat less comfy to hold and carry.

The Osram LED names are horrendous. The L21A uses the CULPM1

Which is the W2 on a larger footprint. Which I assume should handle a little more heat for longer. So slightly higher lumens.

I’m going to call it the W2 HX. :smiley:

I have a few lights with the Osram LEDs, a W1, W2 and now a W2 HX. I personally think the W2/W2 HX is the way to go. The beam is narrow, but you still get good lumens and the beam isn’t too small. Not even on the L21A. And you still get really good throw. The W1 is just too much of a compromise I think (happy to be proven wrong). The only downside is the W2’s want an 8amp driver instead of 5amp. With a 21700 this is fine, but on an 18650 it seems to quite heavily reduce runtimes.

The tailcap spring is by-passed stock. And there is no spring on the driver, just a solid slug of metal. Despite my early annoyances, I think it is probably a very good light. Assuming the driver behaves and doesn’t do anything odd, the modes are now good too. Such a shame it was setup so badly on arrival.

Yep, that programming is a mess. About 25-35 clicks with this clone. I finally got it. Just rapidly clicking until it turns off, as you figured out, allows it to be programmed, but the whole “wait and click” process is just stupid. Can’t wait until the entire industry follows after my dream of doing only two-switch mode memory with forward click / momentary-on! :smiley:

I totally agree .This light was a huge pain in the butt to mess with and it's still not right I'm making the assumption that this is not a real biscotti and using cheap out of spec electronics is why convoy had problems with drivers in the first place .I've held off buying drivers from them for years because of a ton of complaints . I hesitate to throw stones at Simon since he's been so beloved for years but this kind of issue should have been taken off the table years ago . the flashing on low drivers never went away .. just no reason except someone trying to save 3 cents . So dum

The biscotti is also hit and miss for me. I’ve had a couple lights which were buggy and stuff, as other people have mentioned already. I go for the 4 mode versions he has now. It’s not like I’m buying convoy lights for the fancy modes anyway, I buy them because they’re good quality mostly no-nonsense lights that present great value. in fact if simon started offering 2 mode options for drivers I’d jump on those.

I’m glad you’re liking it more :+1:

I had to get used to the driver click setup thing the first night but pretty straightforward after that. I am really impressed with this light and emitter, throw and lumens are solid. Holds lumens for a really long time. Handles heat amazingly for the hot running osram. It’s heavy but feels solid, really would like to see the sbt90 in it too. Here’s a good review here on blf on this exact model. [Review] Convoy L21A w/ KW.CULPM1.TG | We got a new throw king ! | Beamshots, Thermals and Output

I think that Simon sellls this model in the 4 mode only version too, just in case anyone else is interested but doesn’t want the option of mode sets with a mechanical switch.

I dunno why there’s so much hate, I like biscotti and have not had any problems (only small issue was with biscotti clone v1 and the mode selection timer). It’s good being able to choose mode groups, more the better I say, we all have different use cases and preferences. I usually choose a mode group when I first get a light and never touch the config menu again. But even if I have to I don’t find it a chore and it’s pretty straightforward imo. 20+ half presses is enough that it shouldn’t really bother anyone in normal use.

W1/W2 is Hank’s naming convention. In Osram speak, W2 HX = Boost HX (which isn’t too bad)

I don’t see why more mode groups would make any sense. Some of them don’t make sense on a light like this anyhow.

And the issues was, it at first wasn’t even in a group that was listed. And the programming wasn’t working correctly.

Issues aside, more modes = more options. I was referring to Biscotti in general (not just for the L21A which I agree doesn’t need that many modes), this is standard firmware used throughout the Convoy range. Having standard firmware with more mode groups = less development cost for new lights = lower prices for us.

Good news is once you get it to work you have an opportunity to get good beam shots.Thankfully I have a decent phone camera and I live in the sticks where Light pollution basically is non existent.I am able to see the true beam.profile without any interference .

Thread below of primarily L21A KW CULPM1 TG

Thanks for posting this chicken-d…
Curious does this light use the same reflector as its predecessor convoy L2 ?

I couldn’t agree more. I have mine on lode set 10, which 4 groups. I tried mode set 6 I believe with 3 groups which is nice too. But once it’s set I’m never touching it again and accidentally going into mode selection is very unlikely.

For what it’s worth i think at least half of the mode selections are relevant for this light. Some that start on high, some with 4 or less selections. I guess the ones with 3x strobes or a 50% max output don’t make sense but all others do.

The light is a home run in my eyes, for price and quality received, it’s one of my favorites

Yes it does.
Its basically a L2 with a 21700 tube

Now I start to understand the pain and headache of what manufacturers going through. Changing mode used to be about 10 clicks or so. Many BLF-ers requested Simon to make it to be more than 20 clicks for some reasons. Simon agreed to proceed with more than 20 clicks. On and off, we will see complains here and there, FB, etc… about 20 clicks is too much, complicated, etc… Once again, we/BLF-ers asked for it.

And yes, Simon should have added or change comment on products about 20 clicks. But this is a transition time. Maybe give him some times? We do know, Simon is doing something like a “ONE MAN SHOW”, replying posts PM here, replying chats in Aliexpress, etc… All are done by Simon himself.

Biscotti was created way back. With request and input from BLF-ers too? And then modify a bit here and there with request by BLF-ers? I’m not sure. If someone can enlighten me will be great.

End of the day, whatever Lights in the world exist today, there will never be 1 light that satisfy everyone. There’s the true thing about life.

Cheers…

[quote=hodor]
I dunno why there’s so much hate, I like biscotti and have not had any problems (only small issue was with biscotti clone v1 and the mode selection timer). It’s good being able to choose mode groups, more the better I say, we all have different use cases and preferences. I usually choose a mode group when I first get a light and never touch the config menu again. But even if I have to I don’t find it a chore and it’s pretty straightforward imo. 20+ half presses is enough that it shouldn’t really bother anyone in normal use.

[quote=hodor]

Straight forward? Right! It states “20” on Alliexpress. Not 30 plus. I believed them and kept trying for an hour!
Obviously you did not have the issues,frustrations and misinformation that I and others had. I have had well over 100 lights in my life.This was the worst of them all In terms of programming it.

I have no issue with biscotti. I think all my Convoy lights are set to whatever group is “1 mode max”. No messing with changing output levels, no accidentally changing modes because I turned the light off and on again too fast, no annoying thermal step-downs. Just a good full-output light no matter how I use it.

OK got it thanks!!

20 clicks was not the issue.

The issue was it wasn’t in a proper mode when unpacked

-click on = nothing
-click off and on = some sort of buzzing strobey thing
-half click went low
-half click though and you get a few modes then strobe then buzzing.

Then it might do something else like pulse or turn off with the switch in the on position.

Now you tell me which of the 12 mode groups this is meant to be?

Then the first few times trying to program it. It would enter program mode and blink blink blink really quickly. Maybe 3 blinks a second then buzz then increase the number of blinks before buzzing again.

So again - you tell me which part of the instructions explain this and what it was doing.

It seems it was on programming mode, which can be recognized by the buzz.
People who are familiar with biscotti probably recognize that.
But again, this shouldnt be happening straight out of the box the light should give you a nice experience without flaws.

1 Thank

Well, sorry to heard about your bad experience for what you have received.

At the first place, I was putting up a general remark collectively with all the comments posted in this thread. I didn’t mention that your issue is with the 20 clicks. Like Yokiamy said, it’s probably in programming mode.

Anyway, glad that now the light is good or at least you feel better. After all, it’s a good light especially for the price we paid.

Cheers.