Convoy L6 Mod, How to double your lux!

What would the modes be like? Things seem very tight in the l6, is there a step by step instruction? It seems much more difficult than say a c8

Once I have the drivers in and built I can look into making a tutorial on it.

Although it is honestly quite simple. Just like any other driver swap in any other common light around here. The only real difference are 2 more wires for the e-switch compared to a C8.

Basically you:

Unscrew the bezel, remove the reflector and desolder the LED wires from the star so that the driver can be removed
Unscrew the retaining ring and remove the stock L6 driver
De-solder the e-switch wires (and LED wires if you want to reuse them) from the stock driver
Solder e-switch and LED wires to the Texas Avenger drivers
Install the driver into the light, feeding the LED wires through the holes to the star
Solder the LED wires back onto the LED star.
Screw the bezel back in place and tighten the retaining ring.

Enjoy.

If you have basic soldering skills then it is really fairly simple. The biggest tip is to use a very hot iron when soldering the LED star (not for the rest though).

+1 for what TA said. You can stack as many resistors on there as you want, but after a couple it will make no difference. If you just want to go to maximum you can use a piece of wire rather than a resistor.

Can somebody tell me how to double my lucks without having to buy a Convoy L6? :smiley:

Cross your fingers on both hands… :student:

Also remember that bad luck, is also luck so be specific what you wish for :slight_smile:

Maybe that lucks was supposed to be lux?

Thanks, I’ll try that! :wink:

Yikes! No thanks, I don’t want to double my bad lucks! :open_mouth:

It was my attempt at a joke. :person_facepalming:

This was an area I did some research on.

The original FX30 driver (not Convoy’s version) used an R100 and R082 side by side in parallel creating .045 ohm of resistance which supposedly produced 4.5 amps on its highest setting.

Convoy’s version of the FX30 driver uses a pair of R082 resistors creating .041 ohm of resistance. This produced about 5.25 amp on its highest setting.

Now if we take the 2 R082’s (Convoy version) and add an:

R750 we get - .0388 total
R500 - .0378
R250 - .0352
R140 - .0317 = 6.3 amp from DBCustom
R120 - .0305 = 6.34 amp from Vesture
R100 - .0290 = 7-7.3 amps From TexasAce

From all the information I’ve found, a adding the R100 is about the limit the driver can handle. It’s about the same as a direct wire and you get 7-7.3 amps. Some folks have smelt a little burning, but it still worked.

To get past 7 amp you need a replacement driver. Some have done 9 amp, but the heat caused the output to drop quickly after 20 to 30 seconds. Here’s a handy chart.

Here’s another thread specific to L6 resistor modding. Seeking advice for how to stack resistors - FX-30 driver mod in Convoy L6

i know im a lil late to the party but are these drivers still available Texas_Ace?

Yes, here is the thread to order them.

Awesome thanks so much JasonWW

Texas Ace should sell too

This thread is one year old, is he currently building drivers?

I’ll refresh that topic.
I’ve L6 clear XHP70 and i buy reflector SMO.

I got such an effect, not very interesting and satisfying
Link to screen
Any suggestion ?
In plans i’ve de dome and boost driver to ~7A.
De dome only will help ?

Flashlights are not meant to look good at 1 foot away. Get a smaller light like S2 for extreme close up work.

De-doming is the best thing I know of to close up the dark spot in the center when using the SMO with this light. It will not be perfect on a wall close up, but outside the beam is pretty good.

I’m know that, only just want to show effect on short distance to wall - can see the black hole in middle.

Thanks for answer, on my country lights forum one of the users offered me to exchange diode on XHP70.2 - supposedly it works with the SMO reflector and it can be better focused on the XHP70, but in this moment haven’t to much money for this ….
The beginning of the season for two wheels is approaching, oil changes, filters etc.

Thanks all for comments, will try to make corrections in the form of a de dome and increase the controller’s power, we will see if I will get a satisfactory result.

Please verify your light has xhp70/70.2 and the driver is 30mm.
This would be the driver from Convoys AliExpress store.
US $6.24 | FX-30 driver for CREE XHP70 led

Kit (GT-FC40 + Driver + Switch) for L6