Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

1.371” - 1.372” is the diameter from knurled hi-spot to knurled hi-spot. There are grooves between them but I didn’t measure those.

Great! That’s exactly what I needed to know.

1.371” is about 35mm, and they actually make truss clamps in this size. What luck!

I’ll report back when I get my L6 and make the tripod mount…

Thanks, BrianK! :+1:

Hi there, welcome to BLF!

Before this L6 coming out I was interested in this FandyFire - Is the FandyFire good? If I’m not mistaken the reflector diameter of the FandyFire is slightly bigger than the one in L6 right?

It was my pleasure. Thanks for the information you just passed on.

Actually I was going to post and suggest a double V-block arrangement to allow for flashlights of any diameter to be accommodated, but that’s an even better solution.

Now that is COOL! :sunglasses:
You could probably find some thin adhesive backed rubber type material to help grip and prevent the light rotating without marring the anodizing.

Thanks, J-Dub!

I plan to use a section of bicycle inner tube to protect the flashlight body like I did with my Meteor mount. It works great and provides some grip, too.

I used a 50mm (2-inch) truss clamp for the Meteor mount. They’re available with a quick release, but I couldn’t find a 35mm clamp with one.

Yes, I thought so too, so I ran with it, and ebay has them for $10.41 per with shipping. Cheap enough to have on hand, and it’ll fit the L2 also.

I wonder if skateboard tape would work or if it would be to thick? It’s adhesive backed with a sort of sandpaper finish where the contact would be with the truss clamp. I’ll know soon if it’ll work. If not I’d try a few wraps of teflon pipe sealing tape. It’s not adhesive, but it’s soft and will dig into the knurling. It’s easily removed too.

The inner tube wrap is a nice idea. Whatever you do please don’t use skateboard tape! :open_mouth:
That would be like lining the inner surfaces with ultra coarse sandpaper in order to protect your light. :zipper_mouth_face:

Edit: Perhaps I am misunderstanding the way you would be using skateboard tape?

That Fandyfire is an HD2010 with a 2 cell tube on it. :wink: Good light, or has potential, a lot of the clones can be very sub-par in quality. It was once the main light to get for a thrower mod.

Also, Sugru is an un-cured Silicone product that is an adhesive…. it could be used to line the clamp and give grip to holding the flashlight without marring the anodization. :wink:

The sandpaper would go against the clamp surfaces, the adhesive surface would be on the light. Maybe mine is old because I have to use a heat gun to activate it; without heat activation, and even with, it comes right off (I don’t use it on skateboards but on my competition handgun). It would also just be 3 or maybe 4 pads. But I like the other ideas that are being kicked around far more than mine. I think I’ll can the skateboard tape idea. :slight_smile:

The Fandyfire XHP70 has been my first XHP70 light. I ordered it from FT last November i think. I was quite impressed at the time… until i received my lux meter and found out it was not brighter than my Fandyfire UV-S5 (a decent triple XML SRK clone): about 2200 lumen.

The Thorfire S70 and the Convoy L6 are noticeably brighter - and better made.

It probably is old tape. Thinking about it brought me back to my skateboarding days and the one really nice board I built. Vision Ken Park deck with neon yellow powder-coated trucks and orange wheels. I used the clear sheets of tape so that some of that beautiful turquoise stained woodgrain would show through. I spent a good hour cutting it perfectly into the shape I wanted before putting it on the board. :student: Ahh the good old days. I was more of a BMX/Freestyle guy really with a bit of thrashing thrown in for good measure. Gleaming the Cube was cool but my bother and I wore out the VHS tape of the movie RAD. :smiley:

I use adhesive backed neoprene tape stuck to the clamps.
It is available in various widths & thicknesses so can be purchased the correct width to fit the clamp :+1:
It dosen”t mark the light, sticks well to the clamps & grips the lights well.

I purchased an adjustable tripod clamp from Banggood recently which works well with the L6. Will post the link later when not at work.

Neoprene is exactly what I was thinking of. Thank you. :+1:

Awesome! Please do. I look forward to seeing this. :slight_smile:

Many thanks to Simon, J-Dub and team for the work on the L6

Mine arrived today and I posted a pic in the thread WhatYouGotToday

Oh, and if you think I am really going to use those 68000mAh batteries, then nope, that was just for a lark. I don’t know where they came from and I found them in my battery box. They will be in the trash very soon.
I did run a test on them this week to check their capacity. Both came out at about 2100 mAh so I am guessing they are just some wrapped 18650 cheapies.
I might try peeling them open to just see what is inside. And I do know to be careful doing that!

I’m guessing I probably shouldn’t ask when the DT S2+ will be available and if DT will be available on the L6 then :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I see a few people mentioning the only real downside to the L6 is the lack of lighted switch, particularly for glove wearers. How wide are the voids in the fins above the switch? I was thinking tritium vials might fit. Not the cheapest or brightest way to illuminate the switch but so easy that anyone can do it.

I can’t go out to the shop to get my calipers, but by using a scale it’s extremely close to 3/32”. (converted to decimal: .0938”)