Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

:beer:

TA and I provided a few links on the previous page where they can be found at Arrow for dirt cheap and with “free” shipping. Check those out, should be what you’re looking for.

Please don’t forget I started a modding thread dedicated to the L2 and L6 here.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t post this info here but my hope was that the L2/L6 modding thread would be the go-to place for L6 and L2 modding info…
Just saying… :slight_smile:
It’s here if you want to use it. :wink:

So what are you trying to say? Hmm?

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve wanted to bump up the power on my L6, but didn’t have a resistor. I started thinking about the stock FX30 driver I bought at Kaidomain. I had planned to swap it into my L6 and do mods to it, but decided not to. What’s funny is that it was supposed to come with an R100 and R082 resistor and is supposed to pull about 4.5 amps on high. Simon modded his drivers with a pair of R082 to bump up the output to 5.25 or so. I started looking at the stock driver and it’s not like the photos, it actually had a pair of R082 resistors on it. How odd. Maybe the manufacturer decided to alter them for a bit more power? IDK.

Anyway, I was robbed of an R100 resistor so I decided to pull an R082 off of it and add it to the Convoy driver. It was a pain working with something so tiny, but I had success. It works and no burnt smells. Yay!

I just bought a lux meter and measured the output from a ceiling bounce test. Turbo went up from 311 to 341 when measured at same voltage and after 30 seconds. I don’t know if that’s a big increase, but I can see less yellow around the hotspot. It definitely warms up quicker, but that’s not an issue for me as I use it for short bursts of 10 to 20 seconds mostly. Now to take it to work and use it normally for a week and see if I notice it’s brighter and if the batteries end up at about the same 3.6 to 3.8 volt range after the last day.

Apparently something that should be repeated…often.

Please don’t forget I started a modding thread dedicated to the L2 and L6 here.
I’m not saying you shouldn’t post this info here but my hope was that the L2/L6 modding thread would be the go-to place for L6 and L2 modding info…
Just saying… :slight_smile:
It’s here if you want to use it. :wink:

Thanks… Simon is one of the good guys! Just catching up on the thread and you beat me to the punch.

Yup, keep reading though, Matt. Just a bit of a misunderstanding.

First video with convoy l6 underwater. So it is really waterproof according to this:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQMdaAPsqkI Because nobody tried it before:)

Nice! I never had a reason to doubt but it is nice to see. Thanks for sharing. :+1:

convoy L6 vs EagleTac MX25L3C XP-G2 3500….anyone?

Will be buying one or the other soon.

Wow, talk about completely different lights.

I don’t know anything about the eagletac but I would take the L6 over it for sure, cheaper, more output with the ability to get a whole lot more with a simple resistor mod. Plus the L6 should throw a lot further.

If you want a can light sign up for the Q8 GB, that will be the best can light going once it comes out.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I already had a black L6 with the short protected 5200 Keeppower batteries. I recently received a clear L6, but the same batteries will not fit in the new clear L6. They’ll fit if I shove them in, but I’ don’t want to do that. I was going to order the same batteries, but now I’m hesitant.

Rookie question…can I try removing the black wrapping and sticker from the Keeppower batteries? There is another wrap underneath, right?

does anyone sell a premodded L6?

Thanks

Yeah, sorry….I’m still trying to get a handle on all this. So many flashlights…so many choices.
The L6 looks really good to me though. More of a thrower than the EagleTac.
Def now leaning towards the L6….especially since it’s a lot less expensive.

I’m not advanced enough yet to understand the modding tho. Seems these things are plenty bright out of the box. Why risk it?
I’m sure a year from now I’ll re-read this post and cringe for asking that….lol

I remember when I was young we had a boat that had a spotlight on it that would light up the shore for 5,000m or more. A lot of fun to play with as a kid.

yes…but you gotta pay to play.

http://asflashlights.com/convoy-flashlights/92-convoy-l6-3800-lumen-cree-xhp70-1a-and-3c.html#/99-include_batteries-no_thanks/101-include_charger-no_thanks/118-emitter_type-n2_3a_5000k/121-ultralux_package-boost_driver_current_30

Modding this particular light is really no risk, you simply stack a resistor on the existing bank and can get you 5000+ lumens from an otherwise stock light.

It is plenty bright out of the box though and for most people there will never be a need to change it.

I want to get some XHP50.2’s and I might toss one in my L6 since it should be a drop in swap. It should put out about the same lumens if my guess is right on it’s performance but with way better throw. Should even be able to use the SMO reflector without any donut hole.

Adventure Sports Flashlights should be ashamed of themselves.

But by increasing the output isn’t there some kind of price you pay in terms of longevity?
I thought over driving LEDS is what kills them quicker? (I’m a newb, go easy) :slight_smile:
And what if you snark the board while modding it? Does that ever happen or is modding a bullet proof thing?

Well, do you intend to use the light for 8 hours a day for 17 years straight? If so, then yes, the lifespan will be reduced, you might only get 12 years out of it.

I think it is safe to say that you won’t notice the difference in lifespan on the LED with a moderate increase in power. :wink:

The driver can fry but luckily it is only $5 to replace it, so not a big loss even if that happened. If you are careful with the soldering it should be fine though.