Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Yeah, I’ll buy way more than I need just to get that sweet, sweet DHL. It’s like a drug. Once you’ve experienced China to door in 3 days, it’s hard to go back.

3 Days?!? What? Man. mine took 4 ….Bummer !

(NOT) :wink:

Yep DHL Rocks! 3-5 days MAX! :+1:

My L6 at the moment is resistor modded (stacked .120Ω) and with sliced dome N4 bin XHP70, i am gettin 96000cd or 619m throw with about 4100lm output. Those numbers are not bad at all, but i want more throw without loosing to much lumens, i would prefer to stay at over 3k lumens. I was thinking about XHP50.2 with sliced dome…

Does anyone have numbers from xhp50 led in the L6 so i can see what i can expect from this led and if its possible to gain 50% intensity compared to the XHP70.

What about a SMO reflector?

Matt at ASF got 164,000cd from his L6 with R120 resistor, SMO reflector, shaved dome and a tweaked reflector height. He’s got a video on YouTube of the mods.

I’m sure others have done the xhp50, I’d like to here from them as well. Have you seen the L6 and L2 modifications thread? There is a lot of talk of emitter swaps.

Jason, you took the words right out of my mouth regarding the SMO reflector. :+1:
While the XHP70 is not designed for throw it can still hit some respectable numbers. Since you’re already making a compromise by using the XHP70 and looking for throw, it definitely makes sense IMO to switch to the SMO reflector in your case. You should see way over 96 Kcd with a simple reflector swap. The compromise part is the beam isn’t quite as smooth and you will see a bit of the dark cross that comes standard with the XHP70 but it’s not as pronounced as I’ve seen with other reflectors. Even the SMO L6 reflector does on “okay” job at reducing the dark spot or cross or whatever you choose to call it, though nowhere near as well as the OP reflector. The XHP50 might work pretty well in an L6 SMO reflector. I’d love to see some more discussion on the XHP50 and XHP35 in the modding thread.

Definitely check in on the L2/L6 modding thread here. You will probably find valuable input there. :beer:

Oh and by the way…

Mini Update:

The first batch of short tubes for the L6 (also L2) is ready. This first run unfortunately will not have the threaded ring (tactical/invisible) but it will fit both the L2 and L6 and I believe is roughly 3mm longer than the original single cell tube so it will better accommodate a 2-26350 stack or a 26700 cell. It has the block style knurling so many of us want. I don’t have pricing or all the final details yet but I will announce it in the OP as well as here and in the modding thread once I have all the info and of course I will be posting a link once it is officially listed in the Convoy store.

Nice ! I will be getting one for sure !

Looking at Matts beam shots against a white wall, the SMO reflector does show a bit of a dark spot in the middle, but shaving the dome off seems to have smoothed it out.

Shaving the dome off the emitter (properly) will certainly help with throw but I can’t comment on how well it reduces the dark cross as I haven’t done it. Matt does some nice work though, not to mention making helpful videos. :+1:
I’ve been short on time lately but if I get a chance I’ll check out his videos again. White wall shots will always be uglier than actual outdoor use situations. If it looks even acceptable in a white wall scenario it should be quite good for the outdoor use it was actually intended for. :wink:

Here are Matts images. Notice how the background/spill gets darker as the hotspot intensifies.

Great! Thanks for the update. I guess it will lego with the clear L6?

I went ahead and ordered some 26350 batteries .

Anybody know a good place to buy 26350 batteries? Fasttech wants 35.00+ to ship 2 batteries, lol, not happening.

Yes, it will lego just fine with any L2 or L6. What’s with those cells only being listed for 4A current though? I thought the 26350 cells I saw in the past were good for 10A. Maybe I’m mistaken though. Wouldn’t be the first time…

Yeah the amp rating was a bit disappointing. They look like the same BG was selling, but maybe they are not?

They say 4 amp up top and 6 amp a bit lower. IDK which is true.

[quote=Majoroverkill] Anybody know a good place to buy 26350 batteries? Fasttech wants 35.00+ to ship 2 batteries, lol, not happening. [/quote] You're in the US (lucky!), so go for Mtn Electronics. They got what you want.

Meanwhile the rest of the world has to wait for the "red scare" of li-ion to fade and laws to get more flexible before we can make our battery purchases :TIRED:

Got my 4000k L6 today and just tested it. Great tint for outdoor, less for indoor, but this will certainly not be an indoor light.
Now we wait for the resistors to arrive…

Thank you :slight_smile:

Great, any idea if/when one with a threaded ring would be available?