Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

The more I use my Convoy L6 the less I am choosing my other flashlights.

The extra length which at first I thought might be a disadvantage, is instead turning out to be a great asset. With other lights like the new Acebeam EC50 Gen ll recently excellently reviewed by maukka, running on high or turbo has the heat rising above 46C in short order. The longer length of the L6 keeps my hand in a good comfort zone.

I now choose my L6 because I know I can use any setting even at its highest without worry about excessive heat to my bare skin hand.

Simon, Convoy, and Matt at AdventureSportFlashlights have provided both an excellent flashlight and great service. This is what I call a ‘Budget Flashlight’ and a very good one. :slight_smile:

EDIT: My appreciation too for J-Dub74 excellent work too! :slight_smile:

It’s got so much more mass/heatsinking than these lights you mentioned for a longer sustained output of well over 3000 lumens. At the same time, due to the 2x26650 configuration it is so much more ergonomic and managable than the competition with 4x18650 cells. The L6 is more than just a dream budget light; it’s a class of its own.

Question about the ‘turbo’ mode on the L6:
When it’s in turbo mode is it using a fet chip on the pcb? Or 7135 etc type drivers.

Would this fet l6 chip make a difference in output?
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_117&product_id=746

With my nooby knowledge it’s current controlled (5Amps). You can resistor mod it for higher output. The fet driver should result in higher output, at least with fresh batteries.

Cheers, I wonder what the current would go up to with decent batteries and a fet board, anybody know?

Up to almost 12 Amperes.

Far out. That would turn it into a monster!

A hungry monster. A hot hungry monster that gobbles up cells. :wink: Sure, it might be making close to 6000 lumens, so you have to weigh how important mega lumens for a short time is as compared to not quite so mega lumens for a longer time. lol

More like about 7-9a bearing in mind with 2 x 4.2v cells the voltage drop will bump the current down somewhat, on a bench power supply at 8.4 you may get that though.

Received my Clear L6 yesterday and J-Dub I have to say I am amazed at the work you have put into these with Simon and what really caught my eye and I mean immediately is that Finally it’s branded and it is branded in just the right spot and in just the right way and it is just beautiful, just an amazing light.
I realize you all know this already but being that I can only occasionally read through this thread a bit at a time, it was a complete and wonderful extra bonus surprise as I had no idea these were branded, so thrilled so say the least.
I also recall last time reading here talk regarding goodie bags? Well I did also get a bag that had clear switch boots in it which caused me to wonder since I just can’t seem to keep caught up here, is there some plans in the works for a lighted switch or is it already there with my light?
At first I had some contact issues “maybe” with a pair of King Kong’s oddly to me since I had no problems with my first L6 and same batteries so I do have to get back here and get caught up having now seen the mentions above re: tube length to see what’s what, but I did a slight adjustment to the retainer ring on the switch and it was fine after, so not sure if that was the cause or I put a battery in backwards, who knows with me at times but it works great.
I do have to mention that the clear ano took me a bit to get used to, it’s very nice but after handling the original L6 and then now the Clear there is quit a difference in feel to me and it’s a slippery feeling, I am not trying to say this is bothersome or a problem but it just feels odd to me but in a good way. Very clean feeling, smooth…
The branding though is what really got me, wow, it is so perfect, no flat spot on the tube just for branding, this placement is just brilliant and quit a deal to me anyhow, very well thought out and a great style.

Edit: Saving space for the important info, my enthusiasm got carried away sorry fellas and or gals…
Hat is still off to J-Dub for the ongoing super work with Simon, personally grateful and obviously excitable over things like branding maybe… :slight_smile:

Matt, a light built with a direct drive FET driver and 2 premium Li-ion cells will indeed give around 12A to the XHP-70. The MT-G2 can pull 16+A through 2 cells . For what it’s worth, a single Luminus SBT-70 can pull 17A from a Single Cell! (3V emitter)

Hot dang, time to pull the plug and buy that driver. Cheers

When I first rebuilt my Olight SR-90 from the mile throw to an XHP-70 I used an N4 1A and two Efest Purple 26650’s. It was doing a little over 6000 lumens (maybe 6300?) then I discovered a high CRI variant from Cutter and replaced the emitter (K4 3A I think) and it’s doing around 5600 lumens on a pair of 32650 Feilong cells.

I haven’t put an FET driver in the L6, I think Kawiboy has, he’ll chime in I’m sure as he loves the big emitter L6 combo…

Wow T18, the real picture looks better.
Dang, now I am considering to have both black and clear version.

I like the branding on em too, makes em look complete, professional.

Mine should be here tomorrow. :wink:

With the FETDD driver, which do you prefer to use, the push button or the E-switch?

I like the stock configuration, tail button for on/off, side switch for changing modes

I do not know of any FETDD drivers out there that give you the two button capability yet?

The one that I linked earlier does I think:

“The difference between this driver and the normal FET drivers is that it has been optimized for 2S+ cells and use of a momentary switch”

I made one fet driver (wight’s v044 fet boards ) with STAR dual switch firmware :

I think TomE’s Narsil is also compatible with dual switch , so i might make a fet+1 driver some time.