Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Arrow still has free shipping going on. Picked up a handful of XP-L2’s recently from them. Now just to find the right resistors…

Edit: something like this ? Vishay SMD 0805 footprint, 0.12 Ohm, 1% tolerance. Min buy 1pc, $0.48 + free shipping. Not sure what power rating is required, this one is 1/8W.

Since replacing my batteries (dropped, dented top) I’ve been unable to reproduce the flicker. All is well, so far.

You need a 1206 resistor for the sense resistor on most lights. Only the really small and low powered lights would use a smaller one.

Ahh. Not really familiar with individual components. Something like this one? https://www.arrow.com/en/products/wsl1206r1200fea/vishay

PS - I appreciate free shipping as much as the next guy, but doing so on a < $1 part? Talk about losing money…

Yes, that should work.

Indeed, they loose so much money on the free shipping I just can’t bring myself to make an order unless it is worthwhile.

they do have some nice XP-L2 80CRI 4000k LED’s in stock that I am liking. Even thinking about trying one in my EDC.

Someone mentioned a R140 resistor what is the # to buy from arrow ?

The r120 posted above will work just fine, it is not much of a difference. I used an R100 in mine and loved it and not just use an FET TA driver.

Do you know where can I get a R100?

There are a whole bunch to pick from on arrow: https://www.arrow.com/en/products/search?q=%201206&prodLine=Resistor%20Fixed%20Single-Surface%20Mount&filters=In+Stock:Yes;Resistance+Value:100m;

You can select basically any resistant you want.

100 mohm = R100

120mohm = R120

75mohm = R075

ect

Hey, I don’t mean to insult anyone! My wife is Asian, my kids are half Asian. I guess it’s because I’m so used to Asian jokes that I don’t think about it. And I’m the butt of many of their jokes because I’m white. All my kids are straight A students. My son is in 5th grade, doing 8th grade math. I love my Asian family. And my Asian flashlights, and my Asian jokes…:stuck_out_tongue:

- Joe

No sweat, Joe. That’s the difficult part of the internet. It’s nigh impossible to tell when someone is joking.

My question is how many people marked it as rude before that was figured out? lol

I need to be more careful when posting here. This forum is way more Barney the Dinosaur than my real life. Last week I was at a party. Filipinos have parties every weekend it seems. I’m asking what some dish is. I can’t tell if it’s pork or chicken. An Asian friend of the wife spears a piece, picks it up, and starts making meow noises at me. (It was chicken). That’s my world….::slight_smile:

The fun part of flashlights is we send a LOT of cool lights to the wife’s family. They live in BFE Bohol Philippines on squatter land. The power goes out all the time. I send them all these sweet flashlights and lanterns. All are either solar or rechargeable. They are the envy of the mango swamp. They have like 3 computers, DSL with WiFi, in a nippa thatch hut…:slight_smile: It’s fun stuff.

• Joe

Here’s a refresher:

From what I remember R100 is about the lowest you’d want to go. Anything below that would be equivalent to a direct short or a piece of wire for this driver. In other words it maxes the driver out at about 7 amps or more and you might smell some burning from the driver. As far as I’ve heard it will hold up, but it’s pretty extreme in my opinion. The R120 and R140 are safer choices for a power increase. R100 is okay too if you want to really push things.

Amperage measurement seem to follow:

The stock FX30 driver 100 + 082 = 4.5 amp

Convoy version of FX30 driver 082 + 082 = 5.25 amp

082 + 082 + R140 = 6 amp

082 + 082 + R120 = 6.34 amp

082 + 082 + R100 = 7+ amp

I hope that helps.

if you bridge the sense resistor the L6 will pull over 9A IIRC, so still a fair bit of wiggle room to go lower if you want.

I run mine at 12A now with the FET driver and it works fine. The risk is really just to the $5 driver, many have had a bridge work fine, a few have had issues.

Personally I feel that around R75-R100 is ideal on the power to output ratio. Should put you around 5000 lumens and still have reasonable battery life.

So people have measured 9 amps out of the stock driver? Wow, I didn’t know it got that high. Maybe I’ll try an R100 instead of the R120 I had planned to get.

An R100 will be fine, should be a good balance of output and runtime.

i just added R100 and notice the light gets warm abit faster than stock light.

my eyes do notice a little brighter :slight_smile:

Hi, I have these since fasttech, I do not encourage mod, I feel a coward ohohohoh, roast the controller?

Controllers are only $5 if it goes bad. It should be fine.