Convoy M21A vs L21A, SFT40, 8A

This is not for work. Just for fun. Camping too but the FW3A (narrower optic) and HL3A (floody optic) combo do great already…

I do like dense heavy metal objects. But I switched from L21A to M21A thinking I would be less hesitant to throw it in a bag or take it on a walk.

Really it’s just so I can mess around and understand what a thrower can do…

1 Thank

Yes the Z1/SFT40/8A would be a 22mm 8A Buck.

The Z1 is fun too!
I have both a M21A/B35AM and a Z1/SFT40 in the drawer next to my back door.

I sold my M21A/SFT40 but I plan to replace it, in the near future.

1 Thank

Just throwing this out there:
The L21B is similar to the L21A but it’s priced some where between the M21A and the L21A.

I haven’t purchased one simply because i don’t like the way it looks.

Edit: It doesn’t come in Tan

1 Thank

I was just comparing my L21 and M21A with SFT40s this last weekend and the L21 definitely has a brighter, concentrated hot spot but the M21A and a diffuser is my road trip light, typically used out in the Hill Country. With the diffuser, I have a lantern and probably 93% of the throw of the L21. I was actually thinking of selling it but installing a SFT40 brought back my excitement for it. Anyway, if you can’t acquire both (or L21B), I think you’re well-off with just the M21A… and order the diffuser.

That will impress you, plus you’ve got the versatility of being able to adjust the beam angle. My Z1 originally had the SST40 in it, but I converted it to the 8A driver and SFT40.

Last week I bought a Speras M4 as a pocketable thrower (rated to 652m throw), it’s got about the same beam angle as the Z1 but is nowhere near as bright. It would be interesting to know what the Z1/ SFT40/ 8A driver combo is rated at for throw.

1 Thank

Yeah, I briefly considered the L21B but I don’t like the aesthetic design and the relative lack of heatsinking around the head. Also, as you say, no tan.

1 Thank

Are we all sure the Z1 SFT40 uses the 8A driver? I ask as the aliexpress page says 6A.

93% isn’t bad! I’d probably be satisfied with that.

Maybe my next light will be a Tan L21A with SBT90.2… skip over the SFT40…. hehehe

Ugh, should I get the Z1 SFT40 if I can confirm it comes with 8A buck driver?

Is the throw and max zoom similar to M21A? Beam profile similar too?

I have a similar model (Cometa) of that light and plan on putting an SFT40 in it but can’t tell you yet about the beam.
Here’s a discussion on the two lights, different LEDs:

1 Thank

My Z1 has the 8A Buck but it was mentioned in the listing.
The current listing Do Not mention 8A Buck.

You should ask @Simon_Mao

1 Thank

Well, my M21A shipped, lol, so that’s settled. I am not disappointed… good with my decision. Also got the stainless bezel will be nice, although it might add some ringing to the beam profile.

1 Thank

I have M21A SFT40 with 6 amps driver and L21B SFT40 with 8amps driver.
I write about their comparation in throw

With 8 amps buck driver M21A will be more closer to L21.
M21A is very usable light for many purposes.

3 Thanks

Alright, I found this video from @PiercingTheDarkness from a couple years ago. C8+/M21A vs L21B with SFT40.

Almost the perfect comparison, except the 20mm 8A Buck driver wasn’t out yet so the C8+/M21A had a 8A Ramping/Linear driver.

How would the 8A Buck driver compare to the 8A Ramping/Linear driver?
I’m assuming the C8+/M21A started with a fresh battery/cool torch for each test.
Would the two 8A drivers be comparable at that state?
Is the 8A Buck simply able to hold the max level for longer as the battery cell voltage drops?
Also more efficient so less heat, correct?

The video is making me want the L21A/B SFT40 again… lol… please tell me the M21A SFT40 with 8A Buck will be better than the C8+ with 8A Ramping/Linear…

UPDATE: thinking about it more… would the 8A Ramping/Linear driver start at 4.2V x 8A = 33.6W and the 8A Buck driver start (and stay) at 3V x 8A = 24W? Meaning the 8A Buck Driver would be even less powerful than in the video?

Please send the link for that video. I can’t find it.

With a fully charged battery the output will initially be roughly the same between an 8A linear & an 8A buck driver. The power consumption is higher for the linear driver with a fully charged cell as the excess voltage is wasted as heat. This should mean that the buck driver sustains a higher output for longer. However the buck driver will have a higher resistance than the linear driver, so the linear driver will have the edge when the cell voltage drops. I believe the buck driver should be better in practice, but I’d be very interested to see a graph comparing the two

1 Thank

I created a beamshot comparison between the M21E & L21B. Those should shine the same as the M21A and L21A:

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/thrower-comparison-convoy-m21f-vs-m21e-vs-l21b/

1 Thank

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfLkExL8NcM

1 Thank

This is great. Both are using 8A buck?

Both are using 8A buck?

Yes.