Convoy M21B vs S16

I’m looking for a new light for my side gig in security. I want a SFT40 for the emmiter im tossing up between a M21B or S16 and was wondering if the brains trust here have any opinions.

The S16 has a stainless steel bezel.

The M21B does not.

If that doesn't matter, I don't know how to choose.

I have the S16, and I like it, but I don't have the M21B.

Good luck in your search.

They seem pretty similar, and I think either will handle the heat from an SFT40 alright. Did you find an S16 with SFT40 already installed?

I have an M21B with GT FC40 that I like a lot.

Check out this reddit thread (if you haven’t already seen it) with some specific comparisons.

Yes, my S16 came with an SFT40 already installed.

By the way, yesterday I received the Convoy M21A with SFT40.

I like it more than my S16 with SFT40, but of course the M21A has a larger head.

If having a larger head is not a problem, I recommend the M21A.

Thanks for the link. I too have a M21B with a GT FC40 I like the size but don’t really like the spikey bezel.

I love my M21A with Osram emmiter but it gets a little big for pocket carry and I’m not keen on belt poches. If I was overnight security somewhere it would make sense but it’s a little bulky for club security.

You could check this] and this] video to see the beam pattern of S16.

I’d get the M21B 100% over the S16.

Why is that? Well, the M21B doesn’t have a stainless steel bezel, which means beam quality is better.

2 Thanks

Yes, the rings from the bezel also bother me. I only have M21B.

I'm curious as to how the stainless steel bezel affects beam quality. I've got a few lights that have a SS bezel.

I also really like my M21B with SFT40. It lives permanently on my bike helmet as it makes an excellent helmet light with the perfect balance between flood and throw. Just a shame the SFT40 isn't available in warmer temps...

I think the shiny steel bezel can cause rings at the outer edge of the beam due to reflections. Just like how the brightly colored S2+ hosts can cause colored rings around the beam.

1 Thank

Got it- that makes sense.

I ended up getting an S16 found that the treads match the M21A i have

I don’t notice the bezel rings in the real world and like that it doesn’t destroy my pants like the M21B.