Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

Guys…. Convoy is a distributor of flashlights. They neither make nor design them. Presumably Convoy performs assembly, quality control, and distribution. The lights people are linking are made in the same facility and designed by the same manufacturer as those that Convoy puts their name on. Convoy’s lights should be of a higher quality than the unbranded lights because they have a brand reputation to uphold, but as has been seen, this is not always the case. I myself have received a non working Convoy light and I only own 5 of them.

That was a while ago, maybe you should actually stop?

I think we have different definitions of “distributor”. Simon is definitely more than what I define as a distributor, as evidenced by the changes made to the colored S2+, the L2 and L6, and other future products. Many of his lights are not totally original though, as I (and I believe J-Dub, too) have already acknowledged.

The S3, S4, S5, S6, C8 were definitely not Simon’s design, just models he picked up (and in the case of the S3, later modified). The S2, Black S2, S8, M1, and M2 I’m not sure on, but I’m leaning towards not his design either. The colored S2 is Simon’s doing, along with the metal tailcap that was adapted from the Dipper BD line that Simon took over. The L4 and original L2 I’m going to assume are original to Simon because I have never seen copies of them anywhere. The new L2 and L6 we know for sure are brand new, original designs because we (BLF) have been a part of the design process.

I suppose you could argue that Convoy had it’s roots as a simple rebadge distributor, but it isn’t that simple any more.

Obviously evidence won’t change your mind though, so I’ll bow out.

Look, I used to think Convoy actually made the things, and it became pretty evident after I mentioned something that other folks think so too, or think that any light that shares parts with a Convoy is a “knockoff” which isn’t remotely the case….

It may be the case that some colors or possibly even models are presently exclusive to Convoy.

You really think I’m the one who’s deluded here? I am not the one championing the farce…

I have nothing more to say on the matter… have to get back to putting chips in a barrel. I do think my comments provoked a worthwhile conversation though.

With all due respect, I don’t think anyone cares about it but you. The only thing most everyone wants to know is, when the desert tan S2+ will be available.

Here is an interesting thread…

True, but it seems to be slowly “morphing” into a “OEM Flashlight Manufacture”

A “Distributor” is a warehouse operation that “distributes” different brands of products. A distributor is typically a wholesaler not a retailer. Sometimes a distributor will re-brand some product under their name as a “House brand”. A “Manufacture” is a company who has their own brand identity, even if they adapt existing designs and/or “farm out” the manufacturing process.

Simon’s aliexpress website is a wholesale/retail distributorship, because he sells different brand products and flashlights, EDC tools, batteries and even Nitecore chargers. I believe the Convoy brand began as his “House brand”. Maybe someday Convoy Flashlights will have their own dedicated convoy.com sales website like Thrunite or Crelant Etc. I think that would help identify themselves as a more reputable flashlight OEM.

Partially true and Partially false. It is common to refer to a company with a branded product as “making” their product even if they farm out some or all of the manufacturing process.

Maybe they haven’t always designed their own models but I believe Convoy is now designing flashlights:

Maybe, or maybe not. How do you know for sure it’s the same facility?

Yes I remember the counterfeit Convoy branded red S2+ lights that Gearbest was selling. I’d say those were copied and made by a different facility than the facility that makes the real Convoy lights, otherwise they would have been exact copies and they weren’t.

I read a lot of posts on here about Convoy’s and I’m not seeing a pattern of them turning out a lot of bad lights. In fact its just the opposite, I read a lot of praise for them making a good quality product. I just read where someone received a bad nitecore and someone else received a bad olight. So it’s not just the budget brands, could happen with “any Chinese light” right?

Thanks for clarifying that. That’s what I was curious about. I agree the S2, Black S2+, S8, are probably not his original design either. But one thing for sure when we want one of these “S” Series tube lights or hosts, if we buy them directly from Simon we know we are getting the highest quality and genuine convoy version and that he will stand behind them. (Same would be true for buying them from Mtn Electronics because I believe he gets them directly from Convoy)

One of the great things about Convoy is they make available the many bare hosts for doing custom builds, not many flashlight brands give us that option. Plus how cool is it that he is working with us here on BLF to influence new designs and accessories like the deep carry clip, shorty tubes and now colors like this desert tan S2+, thanks J-Dub74 for your time and effort collaborating with Convoy and BLF, what I would call a win-win situation for both.

Yes they did, and that’s part of what BLF is about. :slight_smile:

Makin’ pickles are ya? :stuck_out_tongue:

I care. :wink:

I have to say, this is becoming slightly amusing. Which is the only way I like my drama. :wink:

What Hoop fails to realize, imho comes down to, we don’t care! :laughing: Convoy: “maker”, “distributor”, designer, does it matter to us?

Ah, here is something we care about. Especially since Simon keeps the price low.

Another thing I really love about Simon³ / Convoy is that he responds to what we want.

“Simon, we want more colors! Plus deep carry pocket clips and 18350 tubes” Bam, red, blue + clips and tubes
“Simon, how about green!” Simon: No. I really don’t like green. , “But Simon!” Simon:Fine.

Yo Simon, Tusken Raider! Tan with black metal button! It will match our guns. :disguised_face: Also this black gasket thingy, make it clear please. We have started shoving leds up it’s tail end. :smiling_imp:

And of course, as others have said, there are new convoy flashlights like the new L2 and L6 where BLF has been a part of the design process.

TL;DR
Low price, high quality flashlights with designs that we have had a real say in. These are the things we care about. Not semantics.

Long live Simon³ and “distributor” Convoy. :beer:

100% agree Halo.

Thanks Halo, I just spit coffee all over my computer screen… lol

Well said Halo. :beer:
Many good points were made during this latest round. Debate has never been shied away from here but more than any other forum I’ve read, here on BLF it often leads to greater understanding for all parties and new light shed on different perspectives. Good stuff right there. My greatest thrill in all this is that BLF now has a respected budget flashlight company that responds to what we want/need. If Simon were simply a distributor he could not do that. Some of this stuff has taken a bit of convincing but in the end Simon makes those decisions and he is making many of them based on feedback that starts right here in threads like this.

All it took for Simon to change the gaskets to clear for our S2+ butts to shine was me showing him a picture of the glowing S2+ tails emarkd made and saying “Simon, check this out! Look what pilotdog68 did and now BLF is doing with your lights. Can you make the gaskets clear so our butts can shine brighter?”. :smiley: He loved seeing what was being done and happily obliged. He also arranged to send a good quantity of those clear gaskets to members here in the US and in Europe for those making the glowing tails free of charge. All I did was ask…

Simon and I have had many dealings together now and there is mutual respect and trust. Tell me what other company is producing things for BLF based on nothing more than respect and trust? He’s not asking for group buy type commitments. Simon and I have a friendly trust based relationship that is resulting in some cool stuff being made without all the drama. Suggestions for improvements to existing products and ideas for new are passed along, considered and often implemented.

The L2 was brought back to life through BLF. He shot the idea down at first but when I made it clear how much BLF still talked about the first L2, Simon made a few design changes to the original then brought it back in its new form. He didn’t want to do a 2 cell though at first. I really did want a 2 cell and I talked him into making the long tube. That evolved into the latest L2 being a 1 or 2 cell combo. All of the comments from BLF members about wanting a side button and more power led to the L6. This is all based on BLF feedback. This new color combo of desert tan and black is all based on BLF feedback. The new deep carry clip was an idea I proposed that became reality. I worked with the detail drawings he sent me and made changes to dimensions and added and removed things. Yeah it’s just a little clip and it’s not perfect but it was SO cool to be involved in the process like that! If that’s a distributor then can we please get more distributors like Simon?

Here’s one…and maybe this has been discussed before? How about a “Bare” (unanodized) S2 or S2+? (Like the bare BLF A6)

Bread and butter, baby! :smiley:

LOL. Yup it’s been discussed. We’re not going straight-up bare but clear anodizing is being tested now. We’re waiting on the first sample. We should be receiving both the tan and the clear sample soon. Of course that prompted responses like “You can’t make clear anodizing” and several things along those lines but yes, it can and has been done. The S series will probably not be the first design to receive the clear treatment but if it comes out right it will probably be offered on several models. :beer:

what the……,have not been here long and own a red S2, grey S2, black S2, black M2, grey C8 and want a tan S2. Now you temp me with a clear S2+ ( and yes I bought the non anodized BLF A6) I was warned but did not listen!

You’ll also need the L2, blue S2+, short tubes for each color, “a baked C8 and a baked S2+.”: What did you mod today? - #363 by Lfatman

The “clear anodize” that I have seen looks more grey like titanium or maybe brushed stainless steel, than raw aluminum. This is not a bad thing. I have been impressed with the appearance before, not that it always will look that good. I actually argued for a second that the part I was looking at was not aluminum, (I didn’t touch it) but then I said oh…. clear anodize, right. It was a large swing arm bracket for a roller coaster coach made by a local company.

Yeah I hear that. I’m anxious to see exactly what Simon’s manufactory comes up with. He put the to the challenge…now we wait. I haven’t seen anodizing that is 100% clear but I anxiously await. I have one clear anodized light. It has a grey blue tint to the clear. Honestly I find it beautiful and would not object to that color at all but clear or nearly so is the goal here. The one clear anodized light I refer to is an Ultrafire 501B. The threads aren’t Convoy quality but I love the exterior machining and finish on this one. It’s the best 501B I’ve come across. It may be one of the “true Ultrafires” as far as I can tell and it’s held up beautifully over the last three years.

Haven’t been able to stop thinking about good bread and butter pickles since your post by the way… :slight_smile:

Yeah this place sucked me in too. :sunglasses: I started just looking for a new EDC tube light then one thing led to another and the end result is that I’ve become the unofficial Convoy rep here on BLF. This stuff is way too cool to walk away from though…even if my wife doesn’t understand. :innocent: Clear may not hit the S2+ for a bit though so save you’re money. The first intended lights to be offered in clear are the L2 and the upcoming L6. Other things will happen too… :zipper_mouth_face: