Convoy S2+ Desert Tan Available Now!

I sometimes like a tight hotspot and sometimes don’t. It all depends on the situation. I use flashlights a lot for up close work and in that situation a blinding hotspot stinks. Last night I was working on the undercarriage of a refrigerator most of the night and there my S3 was perfect. My S2+ would have served just as well but my S3 was closer. If I’m outside at night I almost always want more throw. I live “out in the country” so throw is very useful not to mention just plain fun! :smiley:

You’re probably right about the pill. I was going off a very vague memory and I was probably thinking about the S3. Thanks for the info.

I forgot about the smaller emitter opening though that’s a mod even I could probably handle with a drill bit. I can ask Simon to make some smooth reflectors with the standard XML opening if this is something people want. I’d really like to see the beam from a smooth reflector S2+.
If anyone out there has a smooth reflector in an S2+ please post pics.

My thought is to keep the smaller diameter reflector since the XP-L gives you an XM-L-style emitter option to use. That keeps the option to be optimized for the XP-G2.

I have the standard deeper SMO reflector for the S2 with the XP-sized opening. My eventual plan is to use the SMO reflector with a 3A Qlite driven XP-G2 to make what I hope will be a decent pocketable thrower. The extra throw makes a difference when you are trying to discern if those glowing eyes in the field are from your cat or an invading skunk…

This sums it up for me… :crown:

Is that smooth reflector hole properly sized for an XP-L? If so then heck yeah I’m on board with that! :beer:

Likewise. IMO, this lightly textured reflector from KD works well in an S2+. It is listed as an OP but it’s really just a very light texture — nothing like an OP. It is slightly smaller in diameter than the stock reflector but I’ve not had any problems with fitment.

Absolutely. The S3 has an integrated shelf and uses the same reflector as the S2+.

Simon is going to test the smooth reflector from the UV light in a standard S2+ with XPL or XP-G2. If it doesn’t work out well he said he’ll just make some smooth reflectors with the standard opening. This will take a bit of course but we’ll get our smooth reflectors one way or another. :smiley:

For the record, in case there is any confusion I am not switching the Desert Tan version to a smooth reflector as standard but looking to have that available as an option for those that want it. It might only be in host form. Just want to give you an update.

I tried both deep and shallow SMO reflector with an XPL HI, and I liked it more with the shallow one. With the deep reflector, it is hard to focus the LED and it gives a yellow ring around the hotspot, and it also greatly reduces the spill which is something you don’t want in a compact light to be used in close ranges.

Good to know. Personally I like the idea of a smooth reflector but a domed XPL and of course more power. That’s a beam I want to see. I’m curious to see a bit more throw but I like useful spill particularly on these S series lights. Do you have any beamshots with the XPL-HI?

I’ve been using the x6 and especially the x5 for closer “work”, and the hotspot became very annoying, with almost a headache. I went back to the S2+ and it is much easier to use.
Is the S3 the only convoy tube with a shelf ? Does it make a lot of difference in runtime on high. Is the S3 better for a triple ?

S6 works great as a triple host. S3, not so much.

What deep reflector did you use?

Hi [quote=mapache]

What deep reflector did you use?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that all the deep reflectors are the same with the same pill. There's just SMO and OP. (Assuming you mean out of which host?)

The XPL HI always produces the yellow ish hotspot when focused. You can run any XPL HI as a mule and hunt down your white wall and you'll notice a more intense yellow ish point exactly center beam. They all do it.

I also prefer the XPL HI over the domed emitter when using the shallow OP reflector (I haven't used the shallow SMO). It just seems to work better all around for the same intended purpose.

As far as what I've seen, I believe the deep SMO reflector is one of the best throwing tube light reflectors available. An XPL HI and an FET driver in say an S8 or S6 with SMO is really impressive.

The question was raised about the deep reflector and short pill fitting in the S2+. I became curious myself and thought that there couldn't be much difference so I tried it. Here's some photos for those who are interested.

I put in the O-ring, lens, deep reflector, stock spacer, 16mm Noctigon and then the short pill.

After assembly we're left with a .060" gap. There's plenty of threads engaged into the head so it would be a simple task to lap off .030"-.050" from the tube and this would work fine.

Here's a comparison of the two different styles of pills. There's not much difference in overall height after buildup.

Please, please make a desert tan s6! :slight_smile:

You should try those A6’s you have lying around. Better for close in work and even more so with an optic instead of a reflector.

So close!
.030”-.050” would be 0.75-1.25mm, for those who use mm.

Thank you RotorHead64. :beer: Could you check the lens and front o-ring thickness? :/ I’m guessing 1.5mm. Edc-light has 1mm o-rings, but not quite large enough it seems, only up to 19mm dia. :(
~ Edit ~ Simon carries a 1mm thick o-ring that looks like it will fit! Listed as 21mm dia. Another one of his “21mm” dia o-rings shows that he measures the outer dia.

Better yet, please Simon modify the S2+ head to fit the S6 /S2 reflector. It’s so close! One little millimeter. Might be able to almost do it with a thin front o-ring.

Thanks for the detailed info.

Would a 1mm shorter pill be a viable solution? Perhaps J-dub could ask Simon to make a run of shorter pills? I would buy a short pill and SMO reflector if they were available.

See this picture of the pill from fasttech’s S2 host page.

I don’t know if you could get away with making the S2 pill any shorter without losing the nice screw-in driver retaining ring (doing a soldered-in driver instead).

I think the simplest thing to do would be to extend the length of the head. The short pill is already at the point that you have to make sure the LED leads are laid over at an angle so that their flat as possible against the driver. If you solder them on straight up they’ll bottom out in the pill if they’ve wicked up much solder.

Has anyone tried the 10 degree TIR optic (.54 cents) instead of a reflector?

Reportedly produces a more intense hotspot/less spill/cleaner smoother beam (compared to a standard S2+ reflector)
Info thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/26270

Also at LED DNA for .40 cents each and free shipping:
http://www.leddna.com/10-degree-21mm-reflector-collimator-led-lens-for-cree-xml-xm-l-led/

I’m ordering a few to try along with some 60 degree diffused ones I’m planning on using for a s3 flooder.

Ten minutes to lap the tube shorter with a sheet 200 grit on a piece of ply. Basically just one thread’s worth of length. I do this anyway on lights to close up those gaps.