Convoy S2 modding and reflector where to buy?

Simon has them :wink:

For S2: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-Aluminum-Smooth-Reflector-for-Cree-XM-L-XP-G-XP-E-Emitters-SMO-Reflector/330416_1055365525.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.320ca820sbjYVv

For S2+: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20-12mm-SMO-reflector-with-XPL-gasket-for-Convoy-S2-S3/330416_32728224955.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.320ca820CvWVXK

Excellent! Thanks for your time looking these up. Just what I need for the S2. I appreciate it.

You could take a look at TIR optics with different beam angles.

Hum, if the XHP35 is larger than the XPL-HI, I’m not sure they will fit properly! Putting the TIR over the LED may damage it!
Also, SubSailorVet said “Now I want to mod some with a XHP35 led and a smooth reflector to make a S2 thrower”. I’m not sure if a TIR lens, even with a narrower angle would give him more throw!
But never tried it so, can’t be sure… :smiley:

You’re welcome! Glad it helped :wink: And…let us know about the mod then :smiling_imp:

I haven’t done any measuring of the led or other parts, your statement is noted and I need to make sure it will all work. Right now I’m just tossing ideas around
on what to do with all these flashlights. I think if I could mod into a thrower it would be cool for a light this size. Even though the reflector is really small I’m thinking now that it might not make a big difference and throw much more than the stock op reflector. Hmmm. Scratches head, hmmm. Lol! Thanks for the input man!

Eheh, good luck with the mod and show us how it worked them :wink: BTW, as the S2 reflector is taller them the S2+, it would probably be more throwy, but maybe the XHP35 and that reflector can give a nice output as well :wink:
Gor for it!

Thanks man. Not sure it will work, I need to get the measurements on the xhp 35 and see it will fit in that little pill. It’s just an idea in my head right now, we will see how far it goes. Lol!

Fasttech also carries them, it’s where I usually grab them from.

Also, I’m curious… What driver do you plan on using? S-series Convoys take a 17mm driver and I haven’t really come across a 17mm 12v driver yet.

17mm 6/12V Bistro/Narsil driver is in progress but likely over a month from being sold

Way cool, Lexel. I can’t wait to see that come to life!

Maybe the fet driver, something like my Emisar d4 uses? What do you think?

Your LED choice of the 12V XHP35 makes it hard to do in the S2+.
Fet driver will only give the voltage of the battery, 4.2V max.

There are a couple 3V LEDs you may want to consider.
Luxeon V is pretty sweet in 4000K and a single luxeon V can rival a triple build in an S2+. I really like this LED but the size is bigger than XP abut smaller than XM. It is 4mmX4mm. Luckily LED4Power.com has made the DTP MCPCB for this LED.
SST40 is another to consider but the tints are all on the Cool end. This one is XM size so it can be used on any XM DTP MCPCB.

Do not worry, the TIRs are from good old XM-L times. Made for even larger LEDs.

But back to the initial idea. SubSailorVet, are you sure the XHP35 will make the S2 a better thrower?

• The XHP35 die is not smaller than that of XP or XM so the throw will not improve.
  • There (still) is a considerable effort required to get a similar lumen output out of a 12V XHP35 from the same cell current.

Am I missing something here?

You’re right, they have similar size, or even less the XML2! When I answered I was thinking about the XHP50s. As far as I perceived in this thread, even the XHP50/50.2 will fit , so the XHP35 fits as well :wink:
Sorry for the first answer about the TIRs :person_facepalming:

TBone, no sir you’re not missing anything. The XHP 35 was an idea before realizing the size/voltage requirements. Now vwpieces mention of the luxeon its output is killer and the sst40 so there are some more variations to consider. I enjoy this friendly collaboration. Now if we were all sitting in a pub enjoying some good bourbon, food, etc…

Thanks for the conversation to all. I am actually sitting in a pub with a single malt… :beer:

I support vwpieces’ suggestion of a Luxeon V. It is a beast. Get a DD/FET driver from mtne (or Lexel or led4power in Europe) and it will change the color of your S2.

This is very cool. It’s amazing how drivers have advanced and evolved into these amazing powerful devices in just the past year! I need to do some reading on all the new drivers and what they do. Is there a place that has info on all these new drivers in one place? Thanks for your input fellas, I appreciate it.

I have ordered the one from Fasttech in the past and it is different from what is pictured. It is longer but fits fine in an S2, I have tried sliced dome xpe and xpc so far and it focuses tight and throws well with those without rings and artifacts.

simon is such a top bloke. the number of times I’ve messaged him for convoy parts that he doesn’t list and he has sent them to me for just the price of shipping is insane!

straight up legend!