Convoy S2+ vs. Nitecore SRT5

I have several Convoy S2+ lights and like them quite a bit. They’ve served me well and seem to be a well made light. I carry one on-duty in a cargo pocket. I have the SRT3 and it’s my favorite light overall for many reasons including that it has more functions and can be reduced to a firefly level if needed. This got me thinking about the SRT5 that uses an 18650 battery. The SRT5 has all the same functions that I enjoy in the SRT3. So we’re basically talking about at <$20 light vs. one that is $60 to $90 depending on where you buy it. Yes, the SRT has more features but aside from that, how do they compare with each other quality-wise and durability wise? What are your thoughts?

Also, as I understand it, the SRT5 can use a single 18650 or two CR123 batteries. Does that mean it will also use two 16340 batteries as well?

Appreciate your thoughts. :slight_smile:

Convoy released a new driver under 3$ that has firefly and moonmode and can be set to a lot configurations, mode memory can turned on or off

You can also flash your old drivers with updated firmware. I had many Convoy drivers that I instantly removed (I hated old UI), but now - LOVE IT!

Any link to a firmware flashing guide?

Where can you get the updated firmware?

Convoy S2+ offers different tints. Also you can put inside Nichia with HI CRI. This is much more important than other features.

I’ve used this tutorial:

You need to buy 3 things. If you don’t need to change the firmware (it’s rather for more advanced users) - you can skip the Atmel Studio.

I just simply flashed with this hex file:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~toykeeper/flashlight-firmware/trunk/view/head:/ToyKeeper/bistro/biscotti/biscotti.hex

Please note that it works for Nanjg 105D. It should work also for 105C (with stars to soldier), but did not try it by myself.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone :slight_smile:

Taking a look at Simon’s Ali Express site and I see this:

12 mode driver

One of the modes looks particularly interesting to me that goes all the way down to 0.1 %.

Appreciate it!

Speaking of S2+es, anyone know offhand if the stars (real Convoy S2+) are AS5ed or Fujiked into the head, or are they loose, and roughly how long are the wires to the driver?

I pretty much hate all off-the-rack UIs, especially the damned blink-on-low to switch 3/5 groups, and want to reflash the bugger without doing a major desoldering job. My watch-back-wrench was too shallow to get out the retaining ring on the driver, so finally got the pliers-type doodad. Just wondering if I could reflash the bugger w/o doing major surgery on it.

Oh, crap, I know this…

Think it was on flashlightwiki.com. Gotta run soon, but remind me and I’ll go goggle it if no one else chimes in.

Is this any help?

A’ight, no one reminded me ’til now. This one:

http://flashlightwiki.com/AVR_Drivers

— later —

Ha! That FLW link’s the first one in the BLF thread mentioned above.