Convoy s2+ wonky from new, need some advice

Oh, conductor?

Nye sells several different greases, and I have small containers of both kinds thanks to someone in the deep past who parted out a quantity of them.

https://www.nyelubricants.com/electrically-conductive

The people you corrected may have either variety.
They can look this stuff up[ to check if they don’t know. It’s possible they in fact do know what they have.

Nye warns about gooping up a space that needs sometimes to be empty like a sliding switch.

:https://www.nyelubricants.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/0/ed06f9d2c6181654474e826bfc616a9a/en/758g_overview.pdf

Searching around for the exact product number will find, e.g.:

I specifically meant people who claimed that “bulb grease” is conductive. But using something conductive as bulb grease would only cause a short circuit. Same with conductive Nyogel, which is not intended to be used in flashlights where it can easily travel the short distance onto the PCB and cause a short circuit. I think the common use for a conductive lubricant is when you want to improve the ground path in moving parts. In another thread I also explained recently why a conductive lubricant wouldn’t improve the connection in a flashlight.

But for us flashlight enthusiasts it should be enough to know that it’s probably a bad idea to have anything conductive in a flashlight that can move around.

Blah blah blah… Any time I have any problem that seems intermittent, whether the light flickers, goes mental, whatever, first thing I do is undo then redo the retaining rings on the driver and the tailswitch. Takes care of like 95% of those problems.

Failing that, disassemble then reassemble the tailswitch first, then around the driver (some are almost press-fit to make the ground connection, and weird, despite the ring). Especially the tailswitch, disassembling, reseating, then tightening back up, typically takes care of another 4%.

The last 1%, well, who knows.

OK I’ve ordered this from amazon, should come on friday.

Camera Lens Tool

loose rings are the only issue i have had to fix on these over 200+ units.
and that amounted to 3 units.tighten and carry on….

200 units?? you have 200 flashlights?

Don’t you? :frowning:

EDIT: just kidding.
IMHO the two NAILS method always work.
If you want to be able to apply more pressure, you can replace one (or both) nails by an awl.

OK just to make sure, once my tool gets here, it’s reverse threaded on the tail switch ring right? and normal on the led end?

I agree with Lightbringer. I'd actually disassemble it, reseat parts and put it back together. Since your driver is soldered in, I would think that isn't the issue. I don't think needle nose pliers were mentioned but I have a few with small tips that even do the job.

It's no fun having this issue. Just today, my S2+ was somewhat intermittent and then completely stopped lighting up. Turned out it was a loose retaining ring on the spring side of the driver. However, barring two bad solders at the head, I think you have a loose connection at the switch. You may confirm this by removing the tail cap, place the head pointing into a transparent, firm material, leave battery in and bridge/connect tube battery tube to negative end of battery with a paperclip, bare wire, etc. . If the light performs normally, the problem is in the tail. I think you have the Biscotti firmware so it should be in mode one.

Splitring Pliers.
STRAIGHT arm.

The ben t ones can run out of reach before getting there.

Nail Scissors at a pinch. But expect them to slip regularly
Tapered tips.

I got a set of 4 on Amazon (pricier now) of straight/bent, squeeze-open/-closed.

I’ve had success with stiff wire bent into a ‘U’ shape and held perpendicularly in a pair of pliers. May have been a bicycle spoke or a wire coat hanger (or neither!) I can’t remember and don’t have my light tool kit with me.

Sammy, I think we’ll have to agree to go on disagreeing about this aspect of reality.

I will incorporate into my voluminous precautions for new flashlight users the warning not to mistakenly use the high dielectric 760G product (“760G has … dielectric isolation”) which some flashlight vendors sell.

How do you lubricate your O-rings?

Amazon snapring pliers works on the rings from even the smallest to the biggest lights I have tried it on

Thanks for that. Bridging did indeed make the torch work, I couldn’t shake it about though, but it’s looking like the problem may be at the switch end. I have the 3/5 firmware. Tool comes tomorrow so I can disassemble/reassemble the switch and hopefully all will be well, if it is the soldered head end then it’ll have to go back I guess.

My tool arrived and I completely disassembled the switch section, put it back together and uh oh

Still flickering, I was a bit nervous now especially as the led end is soldered, still I managed to insert a small screwdriver into the one slot that was partially visible by one of the solder blobs and I tightened up the led end about 1/5 of a turn.

Success!

Looks like the led end was the loose one, all seems well for now.

Just as an aside, are there any illuminated switch mods for the metal switched Convoy S2+ that don’t require soldering?

Glad it was resolved. I had a similar issue with my S2+ and fixed it by tightening the retaining ring with tweezers. I believe only the rubber switches are compatible with non-soldering lighted tailswitch mods.

The newer S2+ metal switches come with a clear membrane vs black, so you should be able to replace the switch with a lighted switch and see some light come through. Though it will be a lot less than an S2+ with a rubber tailcap. And it will probably affect how your flashlight functions, so you may also have to install a bleeder resistor on the driver. Here’s a great BLF link on installing lighted switches: D.I.Y. Illuminated tailcap.

Yes my membrane was clear, I’ll go look

Last week I ordered 2 more S2+ on Banggood for $24

Convoy S2+ Black L2 7135x8 3/5mode EDC LED Flashlight 18650 - XML2
Gray Convoy S2+ SST40 1800lm 5000K max current output of 5000mA
I'll probably use the black with the XML2 as a host for a project build triple emitter when some parts arrive
The parts from the gray with SST40 may be moved to a red host I have.