Convoy s21d runtime

I’d like to know how long it runs on the 20% level.

I have found multiple runtime graphs on high around 700 but not 20%

Most convoy lights runs for about 7 - 9 hours on the 10% mode. Therefor about 4 hours would make sense.

1 Thank

With what driver

Normally with a buck driver. Convoy have amazing drivers, and my S21E with an XHP50.3 HI R9050 in 4000K can hold about 600-700 lumens for almost 3 hours! it uses a 21700 battery and has a 6V 3amp boost driver.

I’m trying to learn a bit about drivers, so correct me if I’m wrong: the S21 with XHP50.3 would have to have a buck driver due to the amperage of the diode correct?

The XHP50 comes in different voltages. My S21E has a 6V XHP50.3. Any LED that needs a higher voltage than what the battery supplies needs a boost driver. A boost driver “boosts” the voltage, you can say. A boost driver is extremly efficient, but are bigger, more complex, and cost more. They also don’t have as high of an output compared to a similar sized FET driver (or a similar direct drive driver). Boost drivers also struggle to output low amounts of power.

I also think you are mixing amps with volts. An LED doesn’t have an “amperage requirement”, but needs a certian voltage. LEDs that need 3V can be used with an FET or buck driver. Those drivers need to recive higher voltages from the battery that what the LED needs. A battery typicaly outputs 3 - 4.2 volts.

2 Thanks

Understood! What is the point of the buck driver versus a boost?

Boost makes higher voltage, buck makes lower voltage.

1 Thank

I’m still wanting to know btw

Expect about 4 to 5 hours on 20%.

This post has a 35% runtime graph. Multiply by 35/20?

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/review-convoy-s21d-21700-quad-led-clicky/217930