Convoy S21D w/ legendary Nichia 219b :) - Review & comparison w/ Nichia 519a, E21a & other lights with Nichia LEDs incl. Emisar D4V2, Convoy S21F. (Summary & measurements on P. 1)

I'm running a S2+ triple lol, it's not gonna throw no matter what I put in there. Might as well capitalize on the CRI and output, and hope for a nice homogeneous beam.

I've found that different Carclo optics have different levels of tint shift, and the trend is either nonexistent or counterintuitive. So far medium frosted fared the best, and wide frosted is absolute trash--it turns a 519A beam into something you expect out of a gen 2 XHP, just terribly yellow-green hotspot.

My only concern about 519a 5000k is the bin that’s in my Wurkkos TS32 is green at all level except Turbo. I expect/hope Simon’s version will be better.

Now that I think about it, definitely I will get it to prove the above. :slight_smile:

Got some wall beamshots of the TS32 519A? It might be that you're unlucky and got a green bin. Another possibility is that different optics can alter tint in very different ways--perhaps the optic in TS21 is unsuitable for the 519A.

I legit will be sad if the 5000k bin is green lol

Very true that the optic/reflector/lens can play a role in the altering tint. I had 4500k in my S21D and S2, the S2 looks better IMO

You bet it’s coming - in my other thread of the super lights $100 Budget MONSTER-Lights w/ 15000+ lumens: Wurkkos TS32-Nichia 519a. Comparison with Chinese POWER-LED Heavyweights: in Haikelite HK05, JKK76, Nightwatch NS59v2 Chaos. (Summary & measurements on P. 1); just haven’t got to it yet. My heart sank the first time I turned light on (at lower modes), but then Turbo mode righted all the wrong. My (visual) observation very clearly confirmed with measurements.

BTW, did you catch this graph, any comment? This is for 5700k but I see the same with my 519a 4500k. I could sit and watch y values drop like a stone with time. 219b does the same thing, just not as much.

My 519a 4500k also exhibits this change with heat and I actually wrote about it previously, not knowing such graph like the one above exists. But 519a 5000k is at a whole other level; Turbo versus lower output is like two different LED’s - pics coming.

Thanks for linking the other thread! I noticed that the TS32 has purple AR lens, which can alter tint significantly, up to +0.003. That might be the reason things look extra green. When I swapped a purple lens from an S2+ triple to a clear/uncoated one, it was a game changer.

Those are interesting graphs. If I'm reading correctly, it's saying that at 5700K, increasing current increases CCT while almost fixing duv, and increasing temperature lowers duv while almost preserving CCT. Very interesting. My first thought would be that the phosphor becomes saturated at high currents and lets through more blue, but in that case CCT and duv should change simultaneously. Another guess is that different colored phosphor particles have different efficiency vs current/temp profiles.

I can confirm the 519a 5000k from Simon has no green at all - it is really, really good.

Thanks. I like to confirm with you first so I could make notation on the graph and not make a fool out of myself :+1: :slight_smile: .

First curve - slightly down sloping horizontal curve going right to left means increasing brightness leads to increase in CCT; Duv very slight change. If BBL is starting to bend downward at this CCT point, the Duv may not change since it is relative to BBL line. Now that I am aware of this trend, I see it a lot, for example in ALL the Chinese power leds I’m testing.

Second curve - straight drop with temp means “big” negative Duv change as LED heats up. Slight change in CCT since isotherm line is tilted. I see this the most with my 519a. Also 219b but not as much.

Thanks very helpful. I would go for this then. My 519a 4500k from Simon measures 4000k and is a little too yellow for my taste.

@snfx, I asked Simon on AliX and oddly this was the exchange. I’m asking him to clarify and if that’s the case I’m out; don’t like mixed CCT and don’t like either of the 2 CCT’s used in the mix. 2700k is too warm and 5700k is too cold for my taste.
Me: Hi Simon, I will buy new S21F with 519a 5000k as soon as you put up the link. Would you please tell me Duv and CCT of your 519a 5000k? It’s not too green?

Simon: This is a flashlight with adjustable color temperature. 2700K to 5700K

Me: I thought S21F is the new S21D with USB charging and choice of 219b or 519a? That’s not correct?

Simon: 2*519A 2700K and 2*519A 5700K,
it’s not greenish

Well, that’s a different story. So, you can run 2700k on just 2 emitters……or 4200k on all 4 emitters….or 5700k on 2 emitters? Is that how it works?

Not an expert (meaning anyone please correct as needed) but AFAIK you draw a straight line between the 2 LED’s and your resulting mixed CCT and Duv is around midpoint of the line. Since BBL is a curve the resulting mix will have lower Duv (more rosiness, like 219b) than either of the 2 LED’s you started with. The further apart the 2 CCT’s, the more the Duv drop (make sense if you look at the curve). That’s why Simon picks those 2 CCT’s that are far apart.

When I buy a 519a light, I actually am interested in 519a’s more neutral Duv’s beam color (less rosiness), so this mixing is not what I like. But that’s strictly personal preference. I might just buy it out of curiosity though :slight_smile: .

I’m very curious to see this S21F, it sounds like it could be a good competitor to the d4v2/d4k. Are there any photos of it? Or more information about the driver/UI etc?

Is it possible to dedome the S21D 519A without desoldering?

wait what the, the new S21F will be dual-channel tint ramp?

Yes, unscrew the top and use the q-tip method. Check out youtube for a better guide. I did this for my S21D 4500k and it came out good!

What is the q-tip method? Can you provide a link to the video?

go to the 5:42 minute mark

Lol I know. I’m asking him to clarify. Very odd if that’s the only choice available.