【convoy】H4 and B35AM options are updated

I’m also awaiting the t4 as a gift

no ramping driver for L7,

in one week

Hello Simon,

is there any chance we’ll see a right angle convoy with 21700 battery and possibly TIR optics that can be swapped for different beam angles? I’d love to see 21700 right angle headlight designed by You.
Name it Convoy H21A! :slight_smile:

Cheers
Thomas

I ordered a Pioneman K36 with B35AM 4500k LED, and on max level, the LED smokes, as shown in the following video.

I've reported the issue to Pioneman, and they pulled out the "B35AM" LED option from their K36 model..

Using the UT210E amp meter, I'm measuring around 7 Amps tailcap current on max brightness

(for comparison, the Convoy S21A with B35AM 4500k LED measures 5 Amp tailcap current on max brightness)

(as far as I can tell, there is not much noticeable brightness when the K36 with B35AM (around 7 Amps) vs S21A with B35AM (around 5 Amps), though the K36 B35AM LED is smoking..)

I wonder is 5 Amps (tailcap current) the sweet spot for the B35AM LED?

May be of interest

I also ordered a b35am from Simon, in the m21b host, smoke is coming at maximum power, I thought because I didn’t wash the rosin, at 4.2 volts the current is about 5 amps, at 3.7 volts it reaches 6 amps.

That’s input current, we need to know the LED current. These mcpcbs are not going to support the currents that are linked to in the graph.

Simon, please consider sourcing higher quality mcpcbs with thinner and a higher conductivity dielectric layer.

So, I have an interesting question.

Why would someone choose the GT FC40 over the Nichia B35AM?

Higher output while having a relatively high CRI (this distinguishes the FC40 from other high output emitters) and more temperatures available (since this is in the Convoy thread, I’m only taking Convoy’s options into consideration).

Is it true that the B35AM is actually 4x E21As stuck together?

Looking at specifications, and test showing extremely high color rendition on all of the spectrum with excellent neutral tint, this seems to actually be the case.

Where is the smoke coming from on b35am? He won’t work like this for a long time? If the flashlight worked for 30 minutes at maximum power, has the led already begun to degrade?

Also, I’m seeing reports that driving the LED at 3A is a bit much for the 35AM.

Is it true?

Yes, with less phosphors around the dies, so it has less tint shift than a single E21A. As long an OP reflector is used the beam usually look quite good.

Since it doesn’t have a neutral thermal pad for DTP, current handling is heavily dependent on the quality of the MCPCB, 3A is completely fine on Eurekatronix boards ( 3oz copper, 7,2 W/mK, 40um dielectric), but maybe too much on a more standard MCPCB (1oz, 1~2 W/mK and thicker dielectric).

Simon, any change that the M21B becomes available in colours other than black? And how about a blue S21A.

@thefreeman, thank you for the detailed response.

I’m thinking of just getting the B35AM S21A instead of the FC40 since it looks like color rendition on the 35AM is insane and I actually kind of miss physical controls.

Another thing that I’m wondering is how much current is being pushed through the bottom spring and how much power is being lost through it.

Hi Everybody!

I just saw, that Cree recently released a well awaited update to the Cree XHP 70.2 series. The XHP 70.3 series seem to have better phosphor application (probably much less radial tint shift), than the 70.2.
https://cree-led.com/media/documents/ds-XHP70-3.pdf

Also, now there is XHP70.3 High Intensity variant of the LED, which is a factory rated 45W powerful thrower LED - this would be very suitable to fit into many already present design, what do you think?

+1: there is also an order code for 95+CRI 5700K tint: XHP70D-H0-B001-AD0ZK20E2, which could make excellent ‘see all’ thrower flashlights. (Most other tints are still available to 90CRI)

xhp70.3 HI or even xhp50.3 HI still wont be much of a true thrower,

I think it's actually 4 E17A's, since 4xE21A put together has side length no less than 4.2mm, which is way above the B35AM footprint.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure, as B35AM has just the dies, not the additional phosphor pour around. I've heard claims that the 519A uses the E21A die, and I recall seeing the 519A die measuring about 2mmx2mm after dedoming, which puts the E21A die around 2mm in side length. So either B35AM uses 4xE21A dies, or the 519A uses the E21A die (or neither), but no way both can be true.

Don’t you think it would be too big and heavy to wear on your head?