Copper Goodness for Dale's Solarforce M8

Here’s the vid. :slight_smile:

Thanks ryan. Apparantly the interwebs are kicking my ass today.

Haha, I think you need to put the direct YouTube URL instead of using the embed option.

Very nice pill! Everything looks very attractive in copper, and even better when you know how much work goes into making it. Thanks for the wonderfull pics+vid.

Bucket,

Great pics of your work, very impressive. What did you use for cutting lube? I do a bit of work on our shop lathe [mainly Al] and have access to several cutting oils and a product from Fuchs; D.A.S. cutting / coolant which works especially well. Just curious what you used.

Is there a way to set up a Co2 spray on a copper part while turning it to keep it cooled down and cutting clean? I know the heat is a major issue and causes it to gall and grab, just thought if it could be kept cool things might go much easier. Easy enough to say, probably very difficult to do.

That thread cutting technique is just stupefying! Attention to detail through and through, I bet it fits like a glove! :slight_smile:

Lack of ability to make threads is a major problem in the mod game. I can play around and accomplish a lot, even if every little thing takes 8-12 hours. But I simply cannot cut threads. Can’t afford taps and dies in all the sizes necessary either. Have even resorted to stealing the threads off brass plumbing parts and epoxying them in. lol I really do love seeing nicely cut threads, and a good set of threads in copper is mesmerizing.

You have my unending gratitude for creating this beautiful heart for a treasured light. :beer:

Edit: 8 ounces of copper? Oh wow! And right at an inch solid through the core is superb! I know it’ll handle 12A now! Man that’s fantastic, really really really appreciate all the hard work you’ve done on this!!!

Gurthang, just old WD-40. Makes for a great finish for regular turning operations. I would like something better for grooving though. The copper was quite "grabby".

Dale, there are systems that use air and air and coolant mist as well as flood coolant. I'm thinking about going with flood coolant if I do much more grooving.

By the way, it's all boxed up and ready to go. I forgot about MLK Day. Won't be able to ship it until Tuesday.

I had a dream that the USPS would be more efficient. Guess it was just a dream. :frowning:

Ah yes, I’d forgotten…my buddy was a gunsmith some years back and he had a coolant nozzle right there on the part running nasty gungy looking green stuff all over the place. Guess that would be the best way to go. Doesn’t take a lot, just a continuous flow I would assume.

I was a little miffed at the USPS in Belton yesterday as I missed their closing by about 18 minutes and they wouldn’t take a labeled and ready to go box of lights. They were there, they saw the package through the glass doors, and turned the lights off then walked out of sight in the back. I could hear them mouthing off back there about “people just wanna be waited on hand and foot! They know we be closed!” So yeah, I got a bit perturbed at em. Ended up finding a mail carrier out delivering and handed it off to her, no problem.

But the USPS actually does do a very good job, getting many of the packages I send out delivered in 2 days…even from Texas to PA when shipped on a Saturday! So all in all they are pretty impressive and I really cannot complain.

I just need to remember that they close at noon on Saturdays…

Bucket your machining is first class. That is one orsm pill. Dale you are one lucky guy. Have you finished the light yet. We are all waiting impatiently. :beer:

Buck just made the pill yesterday. Tomorrow is a holiday, Martin Luther King Day. Buck won’t be able to send it out til Tuesday.

Rest assured, I will be on it like White on Rice when it arrives at my door! :slight_smile:

That is fine machining abilities you have and you can hold tight tolerances I am truly amazed at the abilities some of these members of this forum have, I was just learning to use mill a D lathe at one of my former employer I was used to tolerances as a acft tin bender of + or - .030” but you guys on mills have to keep a maximum of +or-.010” that’s though great job you did on that.

WOW I’m jealous Dale, that’s just too awesome! Looks so good with that baked host, it should be illegal!

Super clean work Bucket!! Nice Job!

Don’t be modest Bucket. Your work is top notch and there’s nothing wrong with taking your time. I’m slow and do okay on the lathe but you got skills.

awesome!

The result looks really great. Thank you for the many pictures. I haven't a lathe or the knowledge to do something like this, but I enjoy looking at the process. Starts with a boring part and ends with great result.

LOVE machining threads. I make my own drivers and what-not, but I really like seeing things created out of bare metal. The finishing is really nice too, and I love the detailed explanations.

Fantastic work Bucket :)

Now that’s a heatsink! 8)
Bucket very fine job you have done there. Threading is probably one of the hardest things to learn and it looks like you have it down pat. Nice job! :wink:
I see your finding something to do with all that extra copper.

And I’m very very proud of it, even if it’s still hundreds of miles away! :wink:

Ok, I’m going to admit something. I’m a flashaholic. Whew! I feel better already! :slight_smile: Having said that, is there any reason I can’t become a better one? :wink:

I saw the picture of this finished and mounted as the heart of one of my favorite lights, fulfilling my dream of what this light could be, and I have to say, the pride I felt brought tears to my eyes! I’ve got it bad huh? To envision something, to plan for it and work to reach that end, and then see it perfectly done just exactly like it’d been pictured in the minds eye, well that’s a really cool thing to have happen! And when you’re a dyed in the wool true blue flashaholic, these lights are like precious children! lol Ok, maybe that’s a bit over the top, but I’m sure many of you know what I’m trying to say.

Ryan knows me, ecstatic to see it was a good choice of words. :wink:

Gotta get through the next couple of days, then it’s USPS stalking time! It’s so nice living in the country, I can see them coming for 2 miles! lol