Cordless tools, what kind do you have and why

I have been a Dewalt customer for some time now. I have a fair amount of 20/60 volt Dewalt tools. I like the Flex Volt technology.

I also have the combo drill / Impact Bosch 12v. Amazing tool.

1 Thank

20V B&D drill, trimmer, polesaw.
why:
got the trimmer ten years ago,
and staying with the compatible battery type.
eventually, 40V will be my standard.

Makita. Generally good quality; IMO Makita vs Milwaukee is really just preference of colour scheme :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ; neither is inherently better than the other overall (specific models from each may be better or worse, but as a brand overall, you’re fine with either), I like the colour scheme (hehe), right point in the price/performance curve overall.

A few things I barely use where “any is good enough” in quality terms from Harbor Freight. Good rule: If you’re not sure how often you’ll use something, get one from there, and when you break it, it means you use it enough to justify an upgrade.

Makita would be my first choice except for the fact I think Dewalt has a better selection of tools.

My first cordless tool was the Makita 7.2v. Man, I hated that thing except for the fact it was cordless.

Then the 9.6 came out and made the 7.2 obsolete overnight.

Just an assload of drills and a sawzall, mainly. Oh, a cheap leafblower, too. Mainly Ryobi with the universal battery whatever.

Stuff like a hedge-trimmer, oscillating tool (saw, corner-sander, you know what I mean) I got as corded versions because I’m not going to be taking them anywhere far, and don’t want them running out of juice in the middle of something.

Borrowed my neighbor’s cordless oscillating thingy to do some branch trimming near brickwork. Felt a bit anæmic. For good reason. I dragged out my extension cord and own oscillating thingy, and man, I got jackhammer wrists in about 5min. Never bumped it above its lowest/slowest setting, too.

Dunno if anyone counts things like cordless tire-inflators and the like. I still gravitate to the 20buk dedicated plug-in inflator, or amazon-special plug-in inflator/vacuum which works a treat. Again, I’m not about to reply on something tossed into a car and forgotten about, that might be morbund if not dead when I’d actually need to use it.

But yeah, I’ve collected cordless drills since the sub-C NiCd days and Harbor Freight specials. You know, 8bux for a 7.2V drill, etc. I felt so gangstah when the 9.6V drills came out. Anyone remember the tall thin red ones, or the more contoured angled blue ones? You’d spend less on the whole drill vs just the replacement battery-pack…

I had so many replacement bodies + packs bought preemptively as “spares”, that I used to beat the living shiite of those drills, and only once had the gears strip and get all chewed up. Those cheap-ass things rocked! I know I still have a few BNIB tucked away somewhere.

I have quite a few of the Ryobi power tools. I’m sure they are not the equal of Dewalt or Makita but as rarely as I use them, they fit the bill for me. I have not had one fail me yet.

Exactly. I’m not a GC so don’t use 'em every single day, but only occasionally to rarely. They’re there for when/if I need them, not as part of a job or anything where my livelihood depends on Professional Quality™.

Same with cameras and other goodies. “Prosumer” level is good enough for me for those things.

Drills/Impact driver = Makita BDF452 18V (old), Dewalt DCD710 drill and DCF815 Impact 12V Vmax (small but handy)
Yard tools are EGO: SP mower, 670 leaf blower, 18" chainsaw.
Good enough to get me through the tasks I use them for. What kills me is the batteries are more expensive than the tools themselves in a lot of cases. Just nuts.

EGO = lawnmower, hedgetrimmer, weedwacker, 2 blowers, 16" chainsaw

Dewalt = Drill, Driver, oscillating tool, 6" circular saw.

Ryobi = 2 Hot melt glue guns, jigsaw, vacuum, rotary tool.

≈
unfortunately makita just doesnt have the selection that milwaukee does, especially for trade specific tools-- and when they do offer it they are extremely difficult to get hands on.

Makita really shot themselves in the foot by not going greater than 5.0 ah batteries(trying to push the xgt line?)
and Milwaukee is reaching the limits of what the m18 battery can reasonably do ( i.e. melting 9ah’s in the large cut off saw) and have addressed some of these problems with the new FORGE batteries. Makita and Milwaukee are both guilty of having entirely too many product lines that are intended to confuse those at the DIY/pro-sumer level. For example the brushed base model drill is going on something like 6 years old with no update and at this point I would take a brushless ryobi over any brushed milwaukee impact (or any other brushed milwaukee tool for that matter)

There are just too many good fuel tools for me to use anything else (compact bandsaw, PEX expander, Transfer pump etc) though I do use Makita impacts and drills. Makita impacts have an un-quantifiable “finesse” that makes them a joy to use versus the M18’s raw power.

Sorry for the ramble. to answer OP:
Drill and Impact- Makita
everything else - M18/m12 fuel

oh and if it shoots nails it better be green! hikoki/metabo are a league of their own IMO.

1 Thank

Dewalt (far too many) for any serious work for their quality.
Ryobi for hobby/craft type work for their price.

That’s interesting, I’m definitely within prosumer, I guess, I do research specs but ultimately don’t lose much sleep over small differences, makes sense.

Isn’t the 3601-20, Milwaukee’s updated entry-level brushless Drill-driver that was introduced ~4 months ago? Unless you’re referringto a different model.

2650-20 1/4" hex impact,
was on the shelf at home depot as recently as last month placed next to their mid tier brushless and fuel lines. Though to be fair my rep did say it was being replaced somewhat soon when we spoke before xgiving-- I still stand by my initial point that if you do not know what youre looking for (I.e. DIY customers) you can be fooled into buying a brushed starter kit for the same or more than whats possible with simple home depot hacks, (i.e. 149.99/199.99/299.99 starter pack and free tool, return tool or battery and get 1/2 off-- the only way to buy IMO)

I did say drill but my intention was just their brushed line in general versus the mid tier and fuel which is heavily advertised/promoted. leading unsuspecting customers to believe that all Milwaukee tools are Pro-grade-- which just isnt the case.

1 Thank

Gotcha. I’m just glad that I was able to pickup the base M18 Impact-Driver (tool only) I needed for $99.

Milwaukee M12 Fuel cordless drill

Planned to buy:

• M12 impact driver
  • M12 oscillating Multitool
  • If they finally make a decent dust blower in the M12 program, that as well.

I have DeWalt lithium ion cordless drills and impact driver. Even have the old fashioned NiCad drill, which has seen about 10 years of abuse, dropped and I even forgot the drill+battery out in the rain, and still going strong today. I like deWalt theyre a good powerful tool and good for the job id do every now and again.

I also have a small cordless dremel style rotary hand tool which is a Black and decker. Its not very powerful and the battery life isnt that great but its fine for me.

Recently got my hands on a chinese cordless angle grinder I believe its called Kraft power, its an ok tool but im sure theres better

Milwaukee for me, they are trade quality and have a huge range of skins to choose from.I also like how the charger charges both the 18v and 12v batteries.

What do you mean skins?