Cordless tools, what kind do you have and why

Gotcha. I’m just glad that I was able to pickup the base M18 Impact-Driver (tool only) I needed for $99.

Milwaukee M12 Fuel cordless drill

Planned to buy:

• M12 impact driver
  • M12 oscillating Multitool
  • If they finally make a decent dust blower in the M12 program, that as well.

I have DeWalt lithium ion cordless drills and impact driver. Even have the old fashioned NiCad drill, which has seen about 10 years of abuse, dropped and I even forgot the drill+battery out in the rain, and still going strong today. I like deWalt theyre a good powerful tool and good for the job id do every now and again.

I also have a small cordless dremel style rotary hand tool which is a Black and decker. Its not very powerful and the battery life isnt that great but its fine for me.

Recently got my hands on a chinese cordless angle grinder I believe its called Kraft power, its an ok tool but im sure theres better

Milwaukee for me, they are trade quality and have a huge range of skins to choose from.I also like how the charger charges both the 18v and 12v batteries.

What do you mean skins?

Skins are the tool not including battery

I thought i had seen this thread before… :rofl:

Thanks, never heard of that terminology.

Thanks Pinky you beat me…Skins = Bare tool with no battery.

1 Thank

I have not made the move, nor do I ever intend to, swap gas outdoor tools with electric.

Our next big purchase will be replacing those God awful lawn trimmers with electric. When you have to walk around for 2-3 hours in summer heat wearing ear protection and with a noisy and hot gas engine right next to your head, you really start missing the quiet and efficient electric motors. Even not having to wear ear protection alone would be a huge comfort benefit, once your ears basically start swimming in sweat inside it :sweat_smile:

1 Thank

I had to think about that for a second. My first assumption was LPG then i remembered you guys call petrol - gas

I borrowed and cordless whipper snipper once. I think it was dewalt with 2 batteries connected. In all honesty i wasn’t that impressed with it compared to petrol power

DeWalt DCD796 (I think) combi drill.

Reasoning: at the time, this had highest torque of competing drills in same price bracket. I also got lucky with a mis-priced/discounted drill that the company honoured. Not sure if torque really was best parameter to make my decision on, but it was pretty much the only difference between drills at this price point.

Maybe would go with Makita another time around, I’m under the impression there is wider tool selection compared to dewalt- I’d likely get some of their “gadgety” tools- Makita coffee maker anyone?! :sweat_smile:

Why would you have a lawn trimmer next to your head.

Stihl has some pretty big ones with 48V batteries iirc, those are supposed to be really nice - but they cost a damn fortune. The cheaper ones of theirs lack power, didn’t check other brands yet as most of our gas stuff is Stihl.

Where else would you have it? The engine sits on top of the pole, and that’s usually almost head level. Close enough to feel heat and noise, anyway.

The motor is behind your shoulder and if you use it for extended periods or regularly for work the noise (and heat if it’s hot) can grate on your nerves

I noticed recently companies are venturing towards higher voltage 40v , 54v , 80v

I think it’s a good way to go

Yeah, to replace big tools you need higher voltages. For everything in/around the house imo modern 12V tools are perfect, but for heavy machinery 48 or even highe is great.

When I use a weed wacker, the motor is chest level and behind me. Its a good 24 inches from my head. Check picture below.

No no no… more like this… :grin: