Cordless tools, what kind do you have and why

I also have had a DeWalt cordless model DCF680N Gyroscopic Screwdriver for three years, which I love. It uses an 8 volt li-ion battery so has lowish torque but is a very handy screwdriver. Nicely made. link

Nice! You can’t go wrong with DeWalt. So dependable, from all I’ve heard. That model you linked is presently $94.99 but back in December it hit a low of $76. Very reasonable!

I have tried to get used to this so many times but it just feels awkward. Incredible design though.

It took me quite a while to become comfortable with it. After decades of pulling a trigger switch to make a drill motor operate it really does feel weird to test the tool left or right. I thought for some time that I had made a mistake in the purchase. However, now I like it a lot. I very much appreciate the torque limiter. The 1/4" hex drive chuck is easy and slick to use; changing bits is a breeze with one-hand release and re-fitting. I also like being able to change from a pistil grip to an inline grip. It does take getting used to.

1 Thank

Re: old ryobi.
Sounds like your corded variants are the old school Japan ryobi.

TTI (hong Kong based parent company of Milwaukee, rigid and ryobi) bought ryobi in 2000 and for a good ten years did well on the old brands known value and quality, fast forward to 2010 and the chintsing out hit its ceiling. And ever since then ryobi has actually been increasing quality (if you ignore the switch to Chinese cells in batteries somewhat recently ) to the point that their HP brushless line is about equal to Milwaukee’s mid tier “brushless” line.

Fun fact. The Rigid at Home Depot is actually a wholly owned brand by TTI exclusively for Home Depot and has no connection to the Emerson brand RIGID plumbing tools— yeah TTI is pretty shady lol.

I will not buy Milwaukee anymore after the TTI sell-out.

Makita is still the same company they have always been, and top-quality. I have used their cordless roto-hammers, grinders, chain saw, drill, and impact driver in outdoor geology and land surveying work for years.

At a roadside job site, I saw a Makita impact driver fall off a passing truck and get run over repeatedly. I picked it up, put the battery on, and it worked fine, and still does years later. Just dents and scratches, not even cracked.

I use their most compact cordless roto hammer regularly for drilling larger than recommended holes in granite. Wore out the hammer mechanism, got it rebuilt… still going.

Makita cordless tools used to be made in Japan, are they still Made in Japan?

I have not bought a new Makita tool in several years. The last one was “assembled in USA”. I believe they have manufacturing facilities in over a half dozen countries. US facility is in Georgia.

IMO, for quality, the country of origin is not as important as the ethics and accountability of the company which owns the trademarked name.

2 Thanks

I have got Makitas from USA, Japan, and China.

I’m also team yellow with DeWalt. My dad started me on the brand, he’s no longer with us so I stayed loyal instead. I’m sure there are better options out there but at this point the black and yellow is just nostalgic.
Plus, I have an impact which has survived everything I can throw at it and more. Last purchase was about a week ago: new brushless Atomic drill kit. Small footprint is great for all the handyman-level tasks I usually put my tools through.

I did have a DeWalt string trimmer break on use 3, but the warrantied replacement has seen a season or two of use so I’m happy overall.

You know I have heard of many reasons to opt for a particular tool brand but that put a smile on my face. Good for you.

1 Thank

IIRC, Makita set up a US factory back in the days when cordless power tools were in their infancy, and 7.2V NiCad was the state of the art.

Like Ryobi, the Ridgid brand is used under license by TTI. In the rest of the world, the latter are sold as AEG. A wider selection as well.

They own Milwaukee and Hart.

No one brand makes all the best tools for a job. Those who have enough tools to be called a collection will have something here and there, because it fit the criteria at the time, bought for utility, not branding.

1 Thank

I agree, for example : Milwaukee makes #1 corded Sawzall
Bosch makes #1 corded jigsaw, etc, etc.

I also feel that if several companies are owned by one single company, we should not come to the conclusion the quality is all the same.

The best example I can think of is General Motors. They own Chevrolet and Cadillac (not to mention the others.)

Completely different cars for completely different markets. One is entry level, one is super high end. The fact that GM owns them both means absolutely nothing except to possibly the GM accountants.

I feel bad for y’all who are juggling multiple battery platforms and chargers. That would drive me absolutely insane.

I happen to be on team yellow… literally the only thing I’d be tempted to buy that isn’t yellow is the Milwaukee surge fluid impact driver, but see above comment about battery platforms.

If everything I own disappeared overnight, I might price out Milwaukee, but I’d probably go dewalt again.

1 Thank

This is mostly the most important factor for me. For consumer market, I would guess there’s a lot of marketing from all the brands that goes on to push the drill/drivers as “gateway” tools, then you’re more likely locked into their platform?

2 Thanks

Thats exactly why I went with Dewalt as well. Best overall tool selection. Does not pay to have multiple platforms.

2 Thanks

Yeah, main reason I went Milwaukee as well - dad owns a bunch of M12 tools, and we wanted to stick with the same battery platform.

Also, Milwaukees M12 tools are crazy powerful, and can match many 18V tools - they really nailed the sweet spot of “light and tiny” and “powerful enough for anything I ever wanna do around the house” - my M12 Fuel FPD drills holes in concrete walls super easily in my experience. Was a lifesaver when I did most of the electrical installation in our basement. If I had to work above my head for hours with a heavy 18V drill, I’d have been desperate after half of it lol.

For professional use I guess 18V tools are still superior, and the 18V programs seem to be pretty evenly matched with Makita and Dewalt in most classes.

1 Thank

I use Ryobi for cordless.

When I was a recent graduate, newly living on my own and wanting a cordless drill and a circular saw for various projects, Ryobi was cheap, and I knew several people that owned and were happy with them.

When my original NiCad batteries wore out, I didn’t have to replace any of my tools to move on to lithium ion, so I stuck with Ryobi. Had my existing tools not been compatible, then at that time I probably would have gone with Dewalt or Makita, although if I were forced to change now, I’d probably go with Milwaukee.

And although Ryobi has been cost-reducing many of their tools to remain appealing to buyers who are the most cost-sensitive, they also have split the line into lower and higher end models, so people like me who started out with basic needs can get better quality tools as our budgets allow and needs dictate. A lot of what is in their current brushless lineup is pretty good.

I honestly do think Ryobi’s battery form factor is compromised compared to other brands, but their commercial decision not to force users to replace tools bought in the NiCad era kept me onboard, and it’s not enough of a disadvantage to get me to switch.

For corded tools, I have almost a full rainbow from all the different brands. Still no purple tools, though.

1 Thank