Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

Right now we don’t know much of anything about the true numbers of this corona virus and we know nothing yet of how much our world will be damaged by the reaction to the early speculations and wild panic.

I think people need to relax some and keep an open un-panicked mind and wait for the analysis and criticisms that will start being written in the next few years.

I think that history will not treat this event and it’s results kindly.

We will learn in time if that is true since it has never been done before.

Waiting before responding is not the advised tactic in expentionally spreading viruses, response must come before all the facts are known, that is the nature of the game in pandemics. Pandemics are the ultimate examples of better safe than sorry.

The only argument that you and others continuously use is that “80,000” is a larger number than a “few hundred”. That’s it, and nothing more. This means you’re either not able or willing to understand the problem, even though many here have explained several times. It’s up to you to believe whatever you want, but please stop posting the same thing over and over again.

We do have very concerning preliminary information about the coronavirus… and rates tell us the future potential which is coming true.

By all means, keep an open un-panicked mind. Panic won’t help even if this one has one’s number.

But saying to wait a few years before reacting to a pandemic is like refusing to take shelter and pointing out nobody is dead when warned that a bomb is falling overhead. More unfortunate comic ideas.

The core of the refusal to take this seriously seems to be an inability or unwillingness to anticipate future events… before they happen.

Don’t pay much attention to the US case numbers due to very limited testing. We only started testing this month.

The federal gov did all they can to prevent testing for this virus until the last week of February after a whistle blower in Seattle, Washington defied federal government orders and secretly tested assumed flu patients, which exposed that COVID-19 infections were hidden among assumed flu cases. With this data revealed to the public, CDC has no choice but to officially allow testing in very limited numbers just this month, which is why we are seeing soaring number of cases.

But even after we officially allowed testing, the criteria is so restrictive that it is near impossible to get test. So I hope people understand actual numbers are MUCH higher than reported so we don’t take the social distancing requirement lightly. I provided more details here

Fireflies tested their face masks samples and added them to their website

I’m not posting about the complete opposite of everything, for instance zero response versus this completely unprecedented global and American reaction.

Seeing the way people are posting back at me I can tell that people want to pretend that I have views or opinions that I don’t hold, but that they are putting on me and then arguing with what they claim I think.

Since I am a lifelong prepper and have needed to do zero shopping for this current apocalypse, I don’t think that I fall into that category.

This is obviously a pretty contentious topic that I normally wouldn’t allow to go on here. But given the scope and impact of this crisis I see the topic of coronavirus as practically unavoidable.

However, what is avoidable are the controversial aspects of this crisis. I’m not trying to promote any sort of official “BLF position”, or control anybody’s viewpoint, nor am I defending or condemning any governmental measures of any country. I’m allowing us to talk about aspects of this crisis that I’m pretty sure we can all agree on:

• Sickness is bad.
  • Death is bad.
  • Economic hardship is bad.
  • Shortages are bad.
  • Being stuck indoors stinks.
  • Official statistics are interesting, and there’s always a margin of error.
  • Toilet paper is important.

Outside of those aspects, please carefully avoid opening up virtual cans of worms. Thanks in advance. And thanks to the majority of participants in this thread thusfar that are exercising self control and posting measured responses.

In an effort to lighten the mood, let me pose this question.

What do you personally miss the most about being isolated and not free to live life as in the past?

My county just got changed to full “stay at home” rules starting at 8pm. this evening.
I have an antique pickup truck that has not been driven for a couple months due to winter storage so that came out and got washed and tires filled to proper specs and got driven a few miles and am going back out as soon as wifey gets home for a few more laps

For me not being able to do things like visit family and friends hurts the worst.
I guess it is a good time to work the phone and reach out to those I have not had contact with verbally for a long time.

Look forward to everyone’s responses.
Peace and stay safe!

Keith

I have the opposite problem. I still have to work everyday and I am wishing to be told to stay at home. (mid 60’s high risk group) Heck I have not had a vacation since 1996 :weary:

EDIT - And I’m the youngest of the group that are out in the field everyday.

I joined the fight in the principle “every small bit helps”.

The Folding At Home community has turned its attention toward the fight against COVID-19, and it now has massive computational power at its disposal as a result. The distributed computing project is now working with about 470 petaflops of output in its quest to fold proteins, or enough to eclipse the world’s top seven supercomputers combined.

That´s some serious computing power!!

Participate here:
https://foldingathome.org/

Optionally, if you are previously using BOINC platform (like me, calculating SETI@home for past 21 years….), Rosetta@home also has COVID-19 data packets running now:
https://boinc.bakerlab.org/

I´m happy, if I can get even one person more to join :slight_smile:
Happy Crunching! :student:

I miss going into the crowded wilderness without being followed by helicopters & drones I guess…

It sure is Half Life-esque.

I’m trying to keep busy but mostly end up on the couch taking a nap.

I watched Bill Gates last night on CNN. Smart and generous guy. Donating $100 million to help with virus and vaccine.

In these desperate times that is doing your part to self isolate.

Speaking of diseases, here is Norm Macdonald talking about ‘the best disease ever’.

If I’m allowed ….

Only if we don’t take a bath :smiley:

And that is why…

:smiley:

And to keep aliviating this (but not to get out of the topic, cause the numbers of real people dying is still growing…) here’s something that made me laugh :smiley:
Spoiler alert: “…´cause there’s no such thing as Budweiser disease!”

Have fun, and stay safe folks :wink:

I’d rather have a bottle in front of me, then a frontal lobotomy !