Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

Here:
39 confimed cases

• 390 suspect cases under surveilance

Besides what I reported yesterday:

- all Medicine courses in the country will be suspended for indetermined time, and the interships on the associate hospitals will be suspended too

- more schools, faculties, universities, gymnasiums, libraries are being closed, some for indetermined time, other for about 2 weeks (in case there were infected people frequenting them)

- some public events that gather a certain amount of people (depending on if they are in open or closed spaces) are being cancelled or postponed

- the President of Republic is not infected after all. I still think he should be on quarantine, he is a hugger and a kisser :person_facepalming:

• the Portuguese flying company TAP is suspending flights to different european countries

Today I went and returned to work on foot to avoid metro. Weather is cold, but I rather do that being “intensively” exposed within the Metro… Of course, it can happen on the other places I pass, but…it is less one aggravating factor.

Stay well folks!

You too, and everyone.

Lots of folks here in Seattle area still thinks we are blowing things out of proportion. Kids that have classes online are seen gathering in groups with their friends after classes. Parents aren’t keeping them at home. Lots of folks say they aren’t as risk so they don’t care. Things will get a lot worse before they get better here.

If you go poop, then you don’t need to wipe.

I’m also in the Puget Sound area and following the news. This is not actually correct. 19 public schools in the area are or have had closures in response to local situations related to COVID-19. I have not read of any cases of schools remaining open inconsistent with WHO or CDC guidelines for surveillance and isolation.

They are not saying kids aren’t affected. The state Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction has several pages dedicated to information about the outbreak, and on the landing page for their coronavirus updates is data about current cases in Washington, including how many of those infected who are of school age (currently 2%). They are also encouraging individual districts to keep in close contact with the Department of Health to properly understand the risk levels in their area to make informed decisions, and each school has the authority to make their own closure decisions.

If it’s been spreading like crazy undetected, then in a way, that would be a good sign, as it indicates the rate of severe symptoms is much lower than suspected. Unfortunately, we don’t have good data on that at the moment.

In fact, 696 people aboard the Diamond Princess were infected, and that group probably is the best study case so far for percent with severe symptoms, since it is the only population where a significant number of asymptomatic people have been tested - I haven’t seen that level of data yet, but the mortality rate so far appears lower in that group than the global average (~1%), yet I’d wager the average age is higher than the general population.

423 Americans have been diagnosed so far (46 of whom were on the Diamond Princess), so definitely everybody diagnosed so far in the US could fit on a cruise ship.

Hey, I’m sensitive!!!
Don’t make me B##t Hurt….
I’m new here, don’t hurt my feelings by being reasonable, logical or truthful…

So, we all suffer from normalcy bias as a human condition, everything stays the same and nothing major changes…so Wrong.
Civilization, Progress and stability are a constant fight against entropy and change, and most humans are unprepared to deal with change.
through this “Normalcy Bias” affliction we believe that the environment, weather, economics, job market, political trends, demographics, what is normal or accepted, our entire world, will stay the same forever… Historically that can be a fatal mistake.

anyhoo, point is that we must do what we can now for this emergency, and for long term threats.
Prepare….
I recommend the following preparations in case any kind of SHTF situation arises:

Get to know your neighbors, they will be your real community or you will at least recognize strangers when they knock

Stock up on food, and find a way to hide it. don’t tell people or brag. I myself got 5000 pounds of food buried in my basement…
bulkfoods and LDS both have some real cheap foodstuffs. dried or freezedried are the best choices, NOT FROZEN DUMMY
pack your own dried foods, using mylar bags, 5gallon buckets and oxygen absorbers. all food goes in buckets
Some supplies include: canned meats, mac + Cheese, powdered milk, Water, water, and more water, water filters, mashed potato mix, white rice, oatmeal, pb and j, pork n beans, dried beans, spices, pasta, bread can be frozen but remember about power…, make bread from basic ingredients, grated cheese like parmesan, soups ( expensive ), dried soup mixes, salt, crackers, olive oil, cinnamon, etc.
check the foreign food and rice aisle and look for dry bagged foods.
I noticed that people out here in chitown suburbs were stocking up on potato chips… real smart…

non food?
rubbing alcohol, grain alcohol, any alcohol for drinking and barter, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, paper plates, a Kelly kettle, a biolite stove to charge your cell phone and check myspace after society falls :), aspirin, acetaminophen, Neosporin, vinegar, caster oil, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, neem oil, bleach, antibacterial soaps and creams, tin foil, iodine, opsom salt, bandages, colloidal silver, vitamins especially c magnesium selenium D, laundry detergent, spare clothes, paracord and clothespins, zipties, ways to start a fire, thermometer, tea tree oil, wax paper, tin foil, tobacco, bud, NOT GMO seeds- heirloom seeds, razors and shave cream, diapers for when you mess yourself after realizing that its the end of the world as you know it, candles, compass, camping equipment, coffee filters, aloe vera, cookware, real paper maps, the foxfire books, print out things….learn geocaching and the ability to hind and find.

I cannot predict the future with 100% accuracy, and neither can you. we base what we think we know, and our predictions, on what we know to be the truth. that truth may be false. as a famouse politician recently stated we will go for truth over facts…WTF?

There are many strange things in relation to this incident, much of which is irrefutable. and there is much that is not true being said.
I cannot say what is true or not, but I have suspicions. I will leave it to you to do the non-watch-tv research for yourself.
such as past research papers on this, acknowledgement of altering the dna of it and making contagious to humans (ostensibly to make a vaccine in case it later mutated ), the seeming impossibility that the new components to the virus were natural,the 3 receptors, the hiv connection, the Canada biolab that Chinese were kicked out of a few months ago, the false predictions, the racial bias of it, the recent 5g conspiracy connection posited, agenda 21, agenda 2030, the recent event 201, the recent pandemic drills, the Wuhan biolab facility, the push and assurance of a vaccine that can be made more quickly than seemingly possible according to past incidents, the connections amongst the people and companies involved in the vaccine, the Georgia guidstones, bill gates, that face masks are only needed for doctors, that we should NOT prep, that we must be worried, that we must not be worried etc…I wonder if there is a possible vaccine that would be required to retake every year, that would be convenient.

what I can say for certainty though is that things are not what they seem.
Prepare now, the costs keep going up, so prepare now and it will be a savings used in the future. Buy what you want to use or keep. if it tastes bad then don’t buy. buy quality to last. buy ’mercan. rotate your new stock so you use the oldest first and you will be stocked and prepped.

As a little free bonus to all those that read through this… need a face mask? make one. shhh, don’t tell anyone.
HEPA filters should suffice no? buy some fine fabric, then cotton, then hepa filter ( like a furnace filter ) and elastic band or rubber band. you should be able to verify the particle size on the filter it filters, then get an electron microcope and a sample, and measure the virus size, or go by what they say on the Chronovisor or tv.

Make your own antibacterial soap. I wont digress with that, look it up.

I am not a fan of bleach, it will stay on surfaces and can buildup on them and in the body. I believe it will pass through skin and you can breath it in. and it creates chlorine gas if you mix with the wrong stuff…hydrogen peroxide maybe?

and the last thing you can do is go solar, large or small scale, and build a powerwall.

See my recent posting for batteries on sale, I really need to pay my rent or I will be camping sooner than the rest of you :slight_smile:

these are guaranteed to survive through the collapse of civilization, to process a warranty claim just call me :slight_smile:

check out my frankenlight flashlight post after someone helps me get the pics posted, what service is good to use?

I hope this is well received, I do not mean to offend anyone, at least anyone important… :slight_smile:

Unpopular opinion, this feels like Y2K. I think mass hysteria is the reason for all of the twisted news. It must be a fad thing.

Toilet paper is super dirty and stupid. When you have dirty hands do you just wipe them on paper?

Italy is closing down the whole country

no more shoolös open, no public events - limited traveling

and in Austria first university stays closed

I have enough food to live 1 week. In case of famine, I think/hope the government would give some bread. I gamble on the probability of being among the 99% who would survive Covid19 in case I get it. In the meantime, I try to practice sport to keep in good shape. Maybe it’s better than staying indoor worrying the whole day.

In a situation such as this “reacting” on data often times is too late. But what about the data from WHO that says death rate is 2-3. That is 100-200 higher death rate than the flu. Most of the schools that closed are higher education college level or private schools. For the most part only schools that have a confirmed case are closing “temporarily” after cleaning. The only public school “district” k-12 that does online for the entire school district is North shore. That is not enough to slow down the virus. Seattle metro area population although rather huge, is very sprawled out, possibly our saving grace. Look at Iran, Korea, Italy. Do we “react” after it’s gets that bad?

One of my points was that we don’t know the future. it is not just corona. research the Carrington event, volcanos, solar cycles, little iceage, grand maunder minimum, an emp attack, economy, rome, Greece, Venezuela, the new Madrid quake of 1811, world wars, 200 million hungry Chinese or indian army invasion ( help take over the us and you get some free land ), big ice age cycles, AI, grey goo, Plastic eating bacteria, unchecked mass immigration leading to cultural then societal collapse, and a thousand other things.
a short time ago Venezuela was the 7th richest country in the world.
Being prepared for 1 potential threat can prepare for others.
if one can provide their own food,water and shelter then you are more selfreliant.

check the supposed statistical probability of the above and more and you will find that these 20-70 year relative smooth easy points in history are the exception and not the norm…entropy persists.

Carrington event once in 300 years I learned…
or probability of another Carrington event occurring within the next 10 years is between 2-12%. This suggests that they are, at most, as likely to occur as other so-called “100-year” catastrophes.

new Madrid I learned once every 200-600 years
The probability for magnitude 6 New Madrid earthquakes a few years ago was put above 90% in 50 years. The USGS changed the figures in 2002 to 25-40% for a magnitude 6.0 or greater and 7 - 10% for a catastrophic event in any 50-year period, based on all new science. The chances for a magnitude 6 were decreased, but chances were slightly increased for the catastrophic events.

war on continental us in our lifetimes
if population keeps increasing our land would be not just desired but vital to countries like china and india, poisoning of land in other countries, socio-political ideologies and conversion to the right way
I give it 80% in next 30 years many possibilities considered……think of the population increase in last 30 years. how are they going to grow enough food on pesticide/overly phosphated and fertilized land? do you think if hald of America was starving we would not move into south America? I would rather trust history than some self-belief that we are more civilized and morally upright, a hungry child trumps that card every time…

starvation
we are poisoning the world, and not with carbon dioxide, otherwise known as plant food…grow a tree
we have enough carbon in the atmosphere, and in undamaged land that is farmed correctly it can be sustainable. just need chemtrail free sunlight. however, GMO and frankenplants can become invasive, we are destroying diversity, we are refarming same crops over and over and depleting the soil, even though we know how to de- desertify, or desertification reversal but nobody is putting money there… would be a good way to invest in real estate if made a quick process…research that…
odds? 30% of the world is malnourished, I give it a 100% odds it is already an issue and getting worse…

so many more, restating… prepare, learn survival, go solar, have a hidey hole or retreat planned out, buy some food. there is only 2 weeks worth of food on the store shelves at any given time under normal circumstances. if an EMP or Carrington happen millions die within 1 month of starvation in that hemisphere.
what do you have to loose? other than big screen Tvs everything increases in price. check that, 10 cents for a cup of coffee in the 70s I think it was, 5000 for a new vette, the pay rate always goes down relative to inflation. look at the old movies and tv shows, nobody’s wife worked because they did not NEED to. buy non-perishibles now and you save later!!!

sorry, I just became unemployed and I have had too much time on my hands. I gotta go back to work or find another project to build…buy my batteries in my other post…:slight_smile: cheap plug.

ha! reminds me what the romans said I think ” give them bread and circuses”

Yes, but the people were not supposed to be a part of the circus act… :smiley:

https://twitter.com/cmyeaton/status/1235571948999991296?s=20 kids may not show symptoms but are carriers, and spread the virus.

I have also some stuffs to eat in freezer and also some dryfoods.

Most likely I need them if my wife and I have flu at the same time, so neither one is very interested to go to the shop, if it is not absolutely necessary…

other prepping I have done for almost 3 years is trying to get my old ass stronger and ehalthier by exercise. Have had much less common flu´s so far…
Other things: save money for a bad day :slight_smile:

I think they have the coronavirus confused with Ebola which affects the other end.

indian wells 2.0 weeks pro tennis tournament has been cancelled. huge news in the sports world. not just 1 day. 2 full weeks of billion dollars down the drain (covered by insurance).

Next up the Miami Masters. also huge event , another 2.0 weeks of billions on the line

I noticed very rapid growth in the case counts in the WHO situation reports in Germany and France over the weekend. I hope things are staying calm in Austria and you’re able to avoid severe disruptions.

The flu death rate is lower than the 1% you suggest, but we don’t have truly equivalent measures. That 2-3% for COVID-19 is relative to laboratory confirmed cases. If we use the same measure for the flu, the death rate is around 9%. Of course, that’s misleading because most cases of the flu don’t get laboratory tested. They’re diagnosed based on symptoms.
But we also don’t know how many cases have not been diagnosed. The death rate from the Diamond Princess is so far below 1%, over 2 weeks after passengers disembarked. That might be one of the cases where we have a more complete count of the total infected.

We already are reacting. The school count I gave was 19 public K-12 schools. 24 private schools and colleges also have had closures, and I think more important are the reinforcement of hygiene habits, re-evaluation of social activities, and increased employer flexibility for work schedules among those workplaces that can accommodate it.

And we are already slowing down the virus. Note that the first US case presented for treatment on January 19, and there were rapid notifications made once it was clear it was the same disease as originated in Wuhan. The first Italian case was on January 31. In other words, it’s been known to be spreading in the US longer than in Italy, but we’ve had significantly more success at limiting the rate of spread. The case count is 30 times higher in Italy than the US, and growing at over twice the percentage rate.

It appears it had already been spreading for weeks before Italian healthcare providers were regularly screening for it by symptoms, where as in the US, the first case was identified within 5 days after the patient’s return from China, and the day after he sought treatment.

In light of this, I stand by my continued preference to react based on data. Reacting on fear can be aimless and even counterproductive.

I’m worried about what we’re not hearing about living conditions in China as a result of the severity of their quarantines. It’s not getting much discussion, but it has come out that Uighur-populated areas in particular are already suffering food shortages. There also have been a few scattered, alarming stories so far, such as one about a disabled child who died because he was not given any care after his father was quarantined, and another about the collapse of a hotel that was supposed to be under renovation but was being used for isolation, killing at least 10 people. Hopefully these are very isolated cases, but I’m not confident of that.

Seems to me the focus is on how many ‘cases’ there are and not the vast number of folks these patients have been in contact with over the last 2 weeks, and the folks those came in contact with, and the folks those came in contact with etc

About this test I keep hearing the US govt talking about putting out……
Can this test detect if someone has been exposed and is carrying the virus or does it only ‘positive detect’ the virus after the incubation period and the patient has the virus w/symptoms. If it is, in fact the latter, this is very problematic.
I may be wrong but it seems I heard its possible a person can test negative after being exposed/infected and in early stage, so that person can test negative but still pass the virus.

Anyone? …… Just facts please …… if you know them.