Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

You say “everyone has all the supplies and labor they need,” but you ask us to take your word for it, whereas I posted proof to the contrary from NBC (trusted source?). Here’s another story from CBS: crop problems in Georgia Bring your evidence, then we’ll compare.

Anyone know if public pools could potentially transmit the virus or would chlorine kill it instantly?

google says:

let us know your interpretation

click for
more info

Thanks, good article. Sounds like while the water is safe, getting there is not.

Well I placed a phone call to the heartland to get my info.
Your info comes from am article desperate for clicks. Let’s talk about that article though. While it used to be true it was hard to find an American to work on a farm, Millions of American are now added to the unemployed list, in search of work. Your article neglects that current fact.
It also neglects that most large farms have always employed the same Americans year after year for the mission-critical work. Mexican labor is good for odd jobs, but nobody trusts them behind the wheel of a $250,000.00 piece of equipment they have never used before. You only train and trust a guy you know will be back next year.
And the majority of work is done by machinery these days.

Not sure who made that promise, but it doesn’t sound realistic. I’m not aware of where in the US the curve has peaked. The reports are that the daily increases are perhaps levelling off, not even decreasing yet. That would mean the curve of the number of cases is still rising rapidly, which it certainly is overall. Even when the peak of the cases is reached, that is no time to ease restrictions, since with so many infected people, it would spread dramatically.

What I’ve generally been hearing is that restrictions can be lifted, temporarily, once the cases are reduced, i.e. the curve peaks, and comes down enough. And when the curve increases, they would have to be reinstated. That might be tailored according to the situation in regions. Just keep in mind how quickly it took off with very few infected people just weeks ago.

I’m not sure how much the US lockdown is responsible for the labor shortage mentioned in that article, since it refers to foreign laborers, mostly migrant workers, who have been prevented from coming to the US due to either lockdowns in their own countries or delays in the US processing their work visas.

And it does end with a solution:

Generally, measures put in place don’t just fixate on squashing the disease, but rather take a harm reduction approach. That usually tries to include social and economic aspects, and the designation of “essential workers” was likely part of that approach from the beginning.

I know around here dairy farmers have been dumping milk since the processing plants could not take it all . Schools and restaurants being closed has disrupted the supply chain . Yet supermarkets are limiting purchases to 2 items. The whole thing is hard to understand.

I got the same impression… seemed well thought out

here the pools and gyms are closed

I took a walk yesterday, to a mailbox 1 mile away
there was practically no one on the streets, businesses downtown all closed, and very few cars on the road

I wore a bandana around my neck, (dont have n95), which I only raised twice when crossing paths with someone on the sidewalk…

Went into a bakery and bought a loaf of bread, I wore my bandana, none of the Four people working inside wore any masks nor gloves…

at the Trader Joes, almost all the customers wear masks now, staff still does not, though some wear gloves…

Im expecting some face masks from Olight… no idea what quality…

How long can everyone hide indoors from this C19 virus ?
If you open the gates and let everyone out, then it will spread again.
Why are we still not using the existing medicines now to save lives today ?
If the goal of “stopping the spread” does not change to “using the existing and effective medicines to control deaths” , we will never stop hiding indoors.

Bingo.

“The more complex the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.”

We’re not going to see the results of this until months or even a year later.

Oh, and then people are going to be “blindsided” by that, that they “never saw it coming”. :confounded:

The CBS article was “an article desperate for clicks”? CBS is no longer a reliable source? Holy cow, we agree more than I realized! :sunglasses: LOL

You’re right that millions have filed for unemployment, but they have been told to shelter in place. Migrant workers can’t get to the work sites because of Covid; were it not for the virus, migrant workers would be migrating and working.

Small and midsize farms make up roughly 1/2 the value of ag production in the US. These farms often have difficulty retaining good labor.

Let’s remember, also, that Covid-19 has impacted not just US food production, but rather worldwide production. Add into this mix the unusually massive swarm of locusts that’s devastating crops in North Africa; the locusts are projected to head northeastward all the way to Pakistan. weather.com locust article World events could produce a “perfect storm.”

A year ago, if I had walked into a store with a bandanna pulled up over my nose, they would have called the cops. Today, I might get a thumbs-up. What a world! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone wanting a job involved in feeding America falls under “essential”, so I guess if we all sit on our ass and starve to death, we deserve it :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeh, I even commented to someone in the elevator(!) in Stop’n’Shop that “Looking like Jesse James is the new norm”.

Bank had a sign saying “no hats or sunglasses, please”, but now with masks? :laughing:

My wife came across this story:
_A phlebotomist working at a Chicago hospital said Thursday that 30 to 50 percent of those tested for coronavirus have antibodies, and 10 to 20 percent of those tested are actual carriers of the virus.

Sumaya Owaynat, a phlebotomy technician for Rosewood Community Hospital, has had extensive experience with coronavirus testing over the last few weeks, as she has been testing around 400 to 600 people per day in the hospital’s parking lot. Owaynat also stated that there is a far greater number of those that have come through her line and have already recovered from the virus compared to those who currently have the disease.

“A lot of people have high antibodies, which means they had the coronavirus but they don’t have it anymore and their bodies built the antibodies,” Owaynat told Chicago City Wire._
link

This graph from WorldOMeters seems to indicate that we’ve peaked.

Perhaps. Don’t forget about reporting delay.

That matches what I read on the news yesterday. They were saying that yesterday might have been the peak. That’s great news!

Note however, that deaths follow a separate curve that lags behind the “daily new cases” curve. If we hit the peak of new cases now, we’re still probably 1.5 to 2 weeks away from hitting the peak of daily deaths.

Interesting observation at the grocery store. Most of the young customers were wearing masks. Few of the old customers wearing masks. No employees wearing masks. Seems the opposite of what it should be.