Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

The coronavirus certainly can make it difficult to spend time with our family members.
Not always a bad thing, though.
I have an incredibly annoying brother-in-law that loves to come from Seattle to our house in the mountains across the state and hunt every fall. He is very verbose about his political beliefs which are polar opposites of my own and he won’t shut up. When he stated his plans for this fall, I informed him that he could either do his hunting from a motel in town or spend the first 10 days in a quarantine tent on the back 40. He’s not coming. Kind of a silver lining in the coronavirus cloud, don’t you think? :slight_smile:

It isn’t. But there are highly sensitive tests, means, a lot of false positive but very little (if any) false negative results. Those are great to minimize risk.

I had recommended using them at school instead of chosing more invasive measures.

those are excellent requirements :+1:

I like the tent idea too :slight_smile:

It sounds like you gave them a choice between the devil and the deep blue sea. So they opted out.

Actually, everything you asked for is reasonable, for corona safety.

It is amazing that a potential guest would not consider your health and safety.

They make it your job to tell them no.

They are basically saying:
“Hey, can we just ignore corona safety, so I can come use your house?
I need a vacation and I cant afford a motel.”

what do you mean?

the test I had, they shove a stick with a cotton tip up my nose, it was not pleasant.

what other test choice is there?

A good friend of mine has a sister who is an RN, working in a Philadelphia area hospital. She deals with #COVID19 on a regular basis. They have fewer cases these days from elderly, but an increase in younger patients.

What the media isn’t telling us much about is that the virus has multiple strains now. Some more virulent than others. Also, while the odds are very good at surviving COVID-19, the trouble is the chronic conditions that result. Heart muscle scarring. Capillary retraction. Compromised kidney function. Blindness. Amputation of extremities. SARS and the flu never caused those problems. And it’s a crap-shoot. It’s not like someone has “A, B, C” specific conditions and ends up with “X, Y, Z” symptoms. Some people are lucky, like Dwayne Johnson’s family—a very small subset of the population who are ultra healthy at the onset—who don’t have any problems post-COVID.

:smiley:

It’s always the same, but the PCR test and CE blotting is different. Sinsoma GmbH (Ltd.) early developed such a test. I’m not sure what’s available in the US.

Just wanted to say there’s a broad spectrum of tests. Maybe yours was already highly sensitive.

I dont know what CE blotting is.

PCR is the antibody test, to determine if someone HAD corona already.

A roommate of one of daughters travelled to New York in March, and got sick. She did not know it was Corona.

PCR testing in April and May, confirmed Corona antibodies. The PCR test in June found No Corona Antibodies.

This tells me that a vaccine wont work for more than 3 months, because the body does not retain the antibodies. This is different than measles, whose antibodies last a lifetime.

Two ladies I have known most of my life (who live in different parts of the state) recently had to be hospitalized because of circumstances beyond their control. Both got COVID in their respective hospitals and both are now fighting for their lives. Just reinforces my fear of hospitals in general.

Kind of seperating macromolecules for evaluation.

Yes, but viral RNA can be multiplied as well with some primer DNA, so you’ll detect the virus itself, not antibodies.

All I wanted to say is that tests can be very sensitive. But you’re right, safety first.

IAW, please forget it, that was not useful :person_facepalming:

I think bushmaster got it right
if family wants to visit,

they should get a motel,

and visits should be treated like a trip to the grocery store, meaning masks and social distance and handsanitizing, and no direct physical contact

I do not think it makes sense to travel to visit family, and expect to live in their house, nor meet without masks.

I dont like it, but the safety of my kids and grandkids is my priority.

To each his own, other than a hospital, a motel is the last place I would willingly go.

what would you suggest as an alternative?

I can’t give you one. For me, I would cancel the trip. Not criticizing your caution, just that none of the alternatives would be acceptable to me. Because of my wife’s fragile health grand children and most adults are forbidden as her doctor has told her COVID is an absolute death sentence for her.

EDIT - We recently had to make a decision when the last hurricane knocked out our power. My wife could not remain in our home because she is on oxygen and she also could not tolerate the heat for an extended period. After a long discussion she picked staying in a closed room at one of the kids houses over the motel that neither of us found acceptable. I chose to spend 4 days with no power or water rather than the other alternatives.

I dont quite understand the implications of your objection to a motel.
care to elaborate?

I do understand not wanting house guests, nor indoor unmasked visitors

That was my first reaction too.

corona is a whole new ball game

Its challenging to give a tactful response when family asks to visit, and wants to be my houseguest

I felt like asking, why do you want to put an infant (grandson), and a senior (me) at risk?

we decided no houseguests, and meet outdoors with masks,

and no hugs?… that part makes me cry

here is a video that offers a safe hug solution… Im not sure I buy it, but it would be nice

I'm like a vampire, except I'm not crossing that threshold even if you invite me.

At a Finland airport, they are using "Coronavirus sniffing dogs."

They have ten dogs that can detect COVID-19 in people days before the people exhibit symptoms.

Alternative solution to house guest and motel: RV rental. They can park for free at any walmart parking lot. Can be cleaned and sanitized to your standards before occupancy and afterwards for return.

an RV might be a good idea in some situations… fwiw they are more expensive than a motel

and, it is no longer true that one can stay at walmart

but the RV could be in my driveway, basically a rolling guest house.

I found the lowest price RV rental near me is a Dolphin, for $150 a night, sleeps two.

A motel costs $52

the challenge is for everyone to agree what corona safe strategy is appropriate… and how much they are willing to pay to have an acceptable place to sleep…

Another option to save money on a motel, might be a tent in the backyard, but that would not be suitable for some people.

I’m guessing it’s a fairly low-grade, no-name motel that charges just $52. My DW wouldn’t let me book one of those even if I wanted to!

Here's some horrible news:

China is giving an unproven COVID-19 vaccine to thousands.

I guess they are following Russia's lead.

I hope that other countries around the world do not try to do this, but because it takes so long to be sure a vaccine is safe and effective, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in other places.