Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

This is a tough room. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’re right about that.

I love the reference!

(I'm a huge HHGTTG fan.)

Some may enjoy reading this as we keep waiting for the mass corona virus death toll to start.

Coronavirus: Propaganda Must Stop
Coronavirus: Propaganda Must Stop

Don’t give up yer day job. You’d starve.

Don’t lose your sense of humor in the crisis. We are still alive and need to remember to live.

I'm watching yesterday's news.

The Governor of California is calling for all Californians to shelter in place.

All non-essential businesses are to close down or at least limit their contact with the public.

Also, in my housing development, there were some landscapers trimming trees and a homeowner came out with a gun to confront them.

He claimed they were spreading COVID-19!

The police came out, and no one was hurt.

In my opinion, the guy with the gun may have been 5150'd, though I am just guessing.

Because a couple million dead and hospitals attempting to treat 20x their capacity wouldn’t cause an economic disaster either… :person_facepalming:

Leave it to a options trader to only see the short term economic impact. Literally every point he makes is misrepresented and twisted to suit his message.

It is the nature of an exponential curve that, at any point on it, the rate of change earlier appears flat and the rate of change after that appears to skyrocket.

We’re seeing that effect at work.

” It uses what’s called a logarithmic scale — exponential growth at different rates will appear as straight lines of different steepness. The steeper the line, the faster the total number of coronavirus deaths is doubling.

The number of deaths from the illness known as Covid-19 provide one of the most reliable measurements of the pandemic’s impact around the world….

=

Yep, that options trader was one sad wacko.

:+1:

With all this “shelter in place” going on , how many babies do you suppose will be born in 9 or 10 months ?

Reports of “accuracy” of tests are essentially meaningless. It requires a statistics lesson. Some relevant concepts to answer your questions are sensitivity (true positive rate) and specificity (true negative rate).

Then also consider that a tests result must be interpreted correctly to be useful. Taking it as-is will surely be misleading. eg. a test has a probability of showing positive given that a person is truly sick, but that is not the same as the probability of a person being sick given that the test shows positive. The latter is what we’re ultimately interested in, and that depends on the prevalence of the disease and Bayes’ Theorem.

References would be helpful for any reports of test accuracy. Also keep in mind there are several Covid-19 tests, not just one, which undoubtedly have differing “accuracies”.

It is a good question though, and the answer to the spirit of the question is that confidence is increased by multiple tests. I believe it is in the guidelines. This also means that the number of tests performed is not equal to the number of people tested.

It is incredible how many things are wrong with that article. I don’t feel like addressing it all, but a common thread among those denying the seriousness of the situation is a focus on current absolute numbers of deaths, compared to influenza or other diseases, instead of rates, and completely missing the concept of the prevalence of a disease.

Given the higher fatality rate of Covid-19 than influenza, it will be worse if/when the prevalence becomes similar. That is what we want to avoid. Surely that’s not hard to understand?

And even if the fatality rate were the same, the impact would be additive, not the same. Saying that there are similar or worse diseases is really no argument at all. It boggles my mind that it is mentioned at all, much less how often it is repeated.

It’s interesting that I’m not the only one who noticed that author is an options trader. What I don’t get is why he’s complaining. Sure this terrible for the economy overall, but it has spiked volatility, which is great for trading.

I thought of that, but six feet of social distancing will make certain things very difficult for most people.

Mine is still intact, the trouble is some people don’t get jokes (even if they are funny ) before the big crisis hit them, My advice is to just carry on regardless,it’s almost funny watching some people going round like headless chickens. It’s also quite sad.

Nice. I can recognize R’s ggplot anywhere. :smiley:

The best resource I’ve found so far is: Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) - Our World in Data

Very comprehensive and nuanced, addressing many misconceptions and common/potential errors. It’s a long page but I highly recommend the full (easy) read. The pop-out table of contents can be helpful for the time-constrained.

I got the (repeated) joke, and just didn’t find it funny. :stuck_out_tongue: Humor is a funny thing…

It looks like the FDA has authorized a 45 minute diagnostic test (developed by a California-based company):
https://www.fiercebiotech.com/medtech/fda-greenlights-first-45-min-point-care-coronavirus-diagnostic

Hopefully this is the first of more test options.

Also, this is an interesting article (those who think the response so far is too much will probably disagree with it):
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20/health/coronavirus-response-must-adapt-frieden-analysis/index.html

[/quote]
PHOUTON SAID
I got the (repeated) joke, and just didn’t find it funny. :stuck_out_tongue: Humor is a funny thing…
[/quote]

Same here. Like Einstein once said “ Funny is relative. ”

Well the joke was dropped 8 hours ago. But Kevin Z’s criticism of it 8 hours later is going strong at a count of 3.