Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

Eventually it all ends up as microplastics in the ocean, and in the fish, and, yep, in whoever eats the fish.

Eventually some bacterium will find a way to consume this stuff.

You have been heard

This is patently false.

Droplet and aerosol/airborne transmission are very different, and COVID-19 is only confirmed to be transmittable via the former.

Thomas Bach has posponed the Olympic Games 2020 by 4 weeks!

https://www.olympic.org/athlete365/voice/22-march-letter-president-thomas-bach-athletes/

a friend of mine works in a hospital in nyc, they were told face shields are not available, anyone is free to improvise and get their own, so i designed and printed, a headpiece that one can attach a clear shield to, that are freely available from any binding supply store, 10-15mil clear plastic book cover that is flexible and rigid enough to be used as shield, a cut up plastic bottle can work too, the plastic can be either attached by double stick tape or with paper crocodile style clips.

NOPE. You can look this stuff up. Which is a good thing to do when you read something scary — check on it, don’t just rebunk it.

The aerosol can float in the air for a while, but maybe not in concentration sufficient to infect.

So let’s help you out. Put the key words into a Google search, like this:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=coronavirus+aerosol+transmission

That search finds among much else

Meanwhile at the bottom of the Mariane Trench…

That would be bad. Our cars, phones, TVs, tools, and everything made of plastic would get infected and begin to rot from the day it was made.

Those bacteria already exist, but they’re just not out in the wild… yet.

:open_mouth:

I don’t think we have to worry about plastic eating bacteria anytime soon:

Facemasks and respirators especially high quality rated ones are near impossible to buy right now. Fireflies is trying to source face masks and respirators for us.

Give ’em time…

Hey! Traffic fatalities should be down! :slight_smile: Gotta find a bright side……

Yep, according to the local news there is very little traffic in L.A. or on the I-10.

And I've seen video of NYC.

It's pretty quiet on the street there as well.

Good thing that someone posts corrections. Thanks.

Haha, thanks for that. I was trying to sketch it myself today but drawing isn't one of my talents.

I once heard from a fellow grad student that he had worked with a professor trying to select for a bacterium that would eat DDT.
Usual way — take a lot of bacteria, add a bit of DDT. See what survives, take a sample of that one, grow more of them, add a bit more DDT.
Lather, rinse, repeat. It’s a method called “mass selection”

They got a strain that would live happily on DDT.

Unfortunately it was also capable of living on polyvinyl chloride, PVC, the insulation used on phone and electrical lines and for many other purposes.

They sterilized the culture and moved to another project.

As mentioned above, Mother Nature is repeating this selection procedure on all the plastic crap we’ve scattered around the world.

Self check out has been the go for a few yrs now in Aust.
Agree with.
NO
Only because of staff reducing possibilities.
BUT in todays environment. A SUPER good idea.

Gloves ON. Goods in trolley. Through checkout to car.
Load into REUSABLE PLASTIC Bags
Which have also been used for same period of time virtually.

THE secret is.
DO NOT OVERLOAD. 1\2 to 2\3rds full and weight restricted is the key.
I’ve only broken 2 bags. one, a sharp item slit the side.
Tóther the handle let go cause Ï”Overloaded”. then tugged to get out from bundle of,
in car boot.
15c AUD Each to buy.

I always use only plastic bags. I need them for garbage disposal and also to take other plastics to recycling. On average I use them 2-4 times before end use. I don´t take them again to shop though…