COURUI DO1 'Big Head' (Black/GRAY NOW AVAILABLE) $29.99 @ Gearbest ( use coupon: gbcourui) A long-throw modder's light!

:frowning: Sounds like quality control on the lights is really hit and miss now

If you’d like to cover postage I could send you my partially hazed reflector, it’s clean and flawless apart from a segment of hazing that’s visible when the light is on.

Or there’s a chance I could send you a better reflector in a couple weeks. I have another courui on the way from gearbest and I don’t need the stock reflector in my next build. Sounds like there’s a good chance it will be an equally poor sample though…

Thanks for the generous offer, if you do get a nicer reflector, I’ll make it worth your effort and pay all expenses,LH! Damn shame other wise the light has great machine work. I chucked the body up and checked run out less then a thou,(.001”) bored the threads for the old plate out and made a custom 10.5mm stepped heat sink and pressed it in, so now it makes contact on all 3 surfaces, the inner diameter, the shelf and the upper diameter. Center stepped it for a 31.59mm Maxtoch mcpcb. And relieved the reflector base for additional lead clearance. It’s looks great so far,installing a BLFFETDD driver and dedomed XML2 U2 0D, we’ll see how it throws??? EDIT: MTNFETDD driver!

Hi FmC, I’m really sorry abou it, could you please PM with your order number, thanks.

Thanks Gearbest for taking care of us with your after-sales service!

I did not expect 180 units of these lights have been sold so far.

Hi Gearbest, PM sent regarding order number.

I have repaired the light, so it's not a problem for me.

However, if someone who didn't have the knowledge/tools/ability/spare parts, had received this light in the condition it was in, I'm sure they would be very disappointed.

I just wanted to bring this to the attention of other forum members.

- edit -

It's only fair to add here that Gearbest have offered me a partial refund (store credit).

New invitation from Nicola S about a pure copper pill for the Courui DO1:

Ok guys I am going to start NEW production of copper pills, this time no limit in number of them, and the price will be 23$ for Europe,and 25 for the rest of the World . Price include shipping and tracking number. Please let me know how many of you are interested this time . Special PayPall account for this sale is couruiD01bighead@gmail.com

L I S T :

LinusHofmann
electricjelly
Will34
Khas
Jensa41 (and counting)

Has anyone found an aftermarket lens that will fit the DO1 yet?

I need a new reflector and a lens, anybody haz a solution?

I’m very happy with one of these 73x2.25 if I remember correctly.

On my Courui, the reflector has pits and a pretty good size scratch also, plus some granular debri, that won’t blow out with canned air?? The centering ring is too small to the emitter hole, so it walked off center. I measured 8.8mm emitter hole to the 6.89mm centering ring?So I opened up the reflector hole to 10mm and used a butterfly type centering ring that snapped in tight, I had laying around. The o-ring is useless it keeps squirting out from under the cap. But also the reflector to the bezel cap is so sloppy, that it was off to one side, So I made a ring for it out of .050’’ solder and used it to center the reflector to the bezel cap. Now it has a really great focus, really clean spot. But it’s all Rube Goldburgh’d up! All in all it is a helluva thrower!

what is the size of the base of the reflector (tha part that touch the led pcb)?

The flat base is 26.5mm across.

thanks ,so its better to use 32mm led pcb

Yes, definitely makes clearing the solder blobs easier. You’ll have to fill in the cavity in the stock heatsink shelf or flip it over and sand/lap it flat though.

i think i will go with copper replacement of the heatsink,ofcourse with that heatsink you might eliminate the clearing problem whatever size pcb you use.

Certainly a good idea to go with one of Nikolas pills, don’t see how they would help in the clearance issues though.
The distance between the solder pads on the mcpcb compared with the diameter of the flat base on the reflector is what is causing the issues. The 32mm pcb has solder pads that are no longer underneath the flat base of the reflector so you can essentially solder the wires on as thick and fat as you want. :slight_smile:
For smaller pcbs you’ll have to resort to making very flat solder joins and keeping the wires relatively thin or resorting to thin copper tabs to make the connection. Bit more tricky if you haven’t done it before.

I used the 32mm Noctigon but the reflector still overlapped about 1/3 of the solder pads, similar to the photo in FmC’s build thread.

I still had to file the reflector and solder carefully to get the reflector all the way down on the PCB.

did you used the stock heatsink or the copper one ?

I made my own using a copper disk.

ic,thank you guys for the tips.