COURUI DO1 'Big Head' (Black/GRAY NOW AVAILABLE) $29.99 @ Gearbest ( use coupon: gbcourui) A long-throw modder's light!

Thanks for your clarification Wight. I removed your quote from my post so it wasn’t looking like I was trying to argue with you.

Yes you are correct it doesn’t exist, yet, but again it absolutely WILL exist ASAP (not “most likely” or “if everything comes together”, it WILL happen). FWIW tterev3 just finished up his newest MAXIM based project running the exact circuit design I am…

And yes it may be a higher degree of difficulty than say a DD / linear driver would by I’m happy to do the work for people (actually that’s what I’d prefer).

Finally don’t forget- going the 2s&dummy / 18350 route will require the same tail clicky, you can’t run a Zener mod driver with a momentary button and not have a way to cut power, the Zener is always running…

Hey Tom, did you take the tail cap off and check that thin wire they're using to bridge the 2 traces on the pcb? That will hold your amperage down severely. Replace that wire with a larger one or otherwise give more ground capability and your output will be noticeably brighter.

I spotted the thin film on the large MAXToch star because there was air under it at the MAXToch name. And it was shiny over the copper pads. Still haven't used mine yet...

Ahhhh - really? hhmm - don't recall reading/hearing bout this. Oh boy...

Dale - yes, did read up on the Courui threads about that wire jumper, and seen your solution - plan was to do it same way you did - looked the best - the 3 jumpers. Wanted to really crank this one up with a BLF17DD driver, or equivalent, with the e-switch support and dedomed XM-L2 U3 1A on a MaxToch 31.5 or 26. Also will get a UCLp for it. Wondering if any easy way to address the heat sinking with that pill shelf. Not crazy about the threaded connection and relatively thin shelf, but it is certainly large in width, and since you don't have to worry but electrical ground, I suppose you could just use a good thermal grease in there. If you turn the shelf over, like most seem to do, the threaded connection doesn't tighten - just spins, so not a really good bond there. I'd have to work out details of vertical spacing with the LED->reflector->lens, etc., see if I need a copper shim or not, or other shelf positioning solution. It's on the bench, but not getting priority right now.

I pulled the copper jumpers on my XM-L2 variant and put an Omten switch in there. So now off is truly off and I don't have to mess with unscrewing the battery tube to lock it out.

On my MT-G2 variant, that's what I do...unscrew it til it won't work and leave it head standing that way until I choose it for use.

I really like these, the way they fit the hand and the overall build. The XM-L2 version is probably the most useful, while the MT-G2 is more gimmicky...the wow factor.

Thanx Dale - I'm wait'n for the gray one to be available, than I'll order my 2nd Wink. I'm thinking the JonnyC firmware is pretty good with parasitic drain, so not too concerned bout the power cutoff for now.

There may be some tolerance differences between lights, but with my Courui, the LED shelf is tightened down firmly onto the ledge. Is there a problem with the threads with yours I wonder?

Mine tightens, but only with the MCPCB side up. If I flip it, it doesn't tighten - tried it several times.

I have a set of test board’s on order (attiny13A controlled 7135 driver) with pads for a micochip MCP1702 voltage regulator, should be a much better option than a zener mod to protect the MCU from <5V input. If it works (no reason it shouldn’t) I will be modding my PIC drivers (as well as my personal use AVR drivers). I’d be happy to do the BLF AVR drivers to if there’s interest. The microchip vreg should be a viable option for MOM-only lights with no way to be locked out and should be a better way to do it overall then burning the excess off with a zener like we’re all doing now.

Cool, sounds interesting... Do you know how much the zener diode draws in this case? Is it just a matter of the cells draining or is more problematic?

Wight calculated it at 2mA.

For some reason the gray model was not delivered today, and tomorrow is the start of another weekend…oh no

Is anyone’s tracking working yet? Neither of mine are, both on packages that were shipped before the last holiday.

Hah, I’ll take your word for it since I don’t remember (!). 2mA is pretty high, so that’s definitely an issue (it should drain fully charged cells in about 2 months) Actually now maybe I DO remember saying that before! heheh. 2 months sucks, ouch.

I agree with what you commented earlier - even with a 2s conversion of whatever type you’ve got that Zener problem unless you add a tailswitch. Dedicated PSU sections seem to make a lot more sense in these lights which have the space.

Have you PM’d that support person they are supposed to have on BLF? I still haven’t purchased any yet and I like you I hate to waste cash on tracking that doesn’t work.

I paid the $9 expressmail fee and have mine in hand already. I,m not sure if the TN ever did work, but the DHL van rolled up this afternoon. That said... .WOOT!

I cannot believe this is a sub $40 dollar light. It soooooooo awesome. I have like 100 million ideas for building this light. Glad I ordered 2!! Its even better looking then I thought it would be, and smaller too...

I was expecting a 3 18650 light to be bulky but its not. Ultra smooth hot spot. And best of all the factory UI is something usable for once. First light to ever come out of china stock I can say that about. I could not be more pleased with the purchase of this light. Can hardly wait to start hackin.

my tracking still is not working. ordered 9/29

With comments like that coming from a guy like you, you just got me excited. Great news!

Sub $30 light. :slight_smile:

Dang it. I’ve not been excited with any of the GBs now except this one. OK well this is not even a GB, but since we have to wait for the gray version then it pretty much feels the same.

Mine isn’t working either

The parasitic drain can be reduced a Lot by Taking different resistors for Battery monitoring. I do that always on my selfassembled drivers…
The zenerdiode and Zener resistor could be optimized too, but not so much.