Cree changed production process for XP-G2 emitters!

Wish this thread existed about six weeks ago.. DD one of my xpg2 s4's back then..

It is horrible. It's still in my uf602c as I can't be bothered to swap it out ATM. Green as the hulk.

Nice comparison man. You at least did not wasted over 100$ like I did :slight_smile: Don’t worry… Be happy :wink:

You’re going to need bigger reflectors to get the same throw with a larger die :frowning:

I feel your pain luminarium iaculator… That’s a lot of money to spend on what seems to be slightly inferior batches of xpg2s from Cree lately.

Maybe they are just trying to get us to buy xpl hi leds now.

We will see Djozz tests,

Maybe they really are better than old two bee but with domes on…

But if they are not better or even inferior to old 2B… Owners of this forum, store owners and We need to write serious complaint to CREE.

Heavy burden for Djozz… Djozz is like HKJ… Most trusted men in their field of testing… Respect guys…

But even if they are equal or if they pump more lumens(which is logical since it is bigger one) it can not change the fact that they are ugliest de domed emitter in a planet with lower lux intensity than old one…

XP-G2 S4 2B was not famous as domed emitter; Right? It was famous for it’s dedoming power and maximum lux performance?

And now?… Intensity is equal or lover than r5 bins of first generations of XP-G2’s with g damn Hulk tint.

~1 year ago:

Tint - CREEN :SICK: :cowboy_hat_face:

I am sorry for not seeing your thread earlier… This link goes to first post of this thread.

Now this conversation will starting to be even more interesting.

I thought I was the only one… But I am not!

Unfortunately, RS AU don’t have the Nichia’s, so I have another batch of Oslon’s on order for ‘round two’ of de-doming. :slight_smile:

Mitko, I hope you’re right because I just bought 5 of those from your link. And I hope FT has the older stock too.

The XPG2 is one heck of an emitter for a thrower and I didn’t want to miss out in case Cree stays with the newer design.

Phil

Not if the surface brightness were the same, which evidently it isn’t.

That’s exactly why you need the bigger reflector.

If the lumen output is the same, a larger reflector (larger diameter and longer to give the same diameter / length ratio) will put those lumens into the same sized spot as the smaller die / reflector combo! I agree that its not really a solution to the problem because you’re losing the form factor to retain performance.

Sure. A larger die that has the same or less output than a smaller die would logically have less surface brightness, resulting in less throw in a given optic, but a larger die that has more output might have the same surface brightness and so should offer the same throw in the same reflector. Surface brightness is key to throw.

3Tronics seems to have Super Hulk Two Bees also :slight_smile:

Anyway I send hulks to Djozz and it should be at his place in just couple of days.

If anybody has old stock of XP-G2 S4 2B with smaller die please PM me I will buy them…

luminarium iaculator

A teaser for you >-)

I got several emitter packages that came today so decided to arrange my modding stuff, and look what i`ve found: i totaly forgot about those

I have to arrange my flashlight stuff, wonday what i will find in there…they are kinda messy though, working, kids, family…dont have much time to arrange them lately

20 old S4 2B would keep me running for a while…

If you decide to sell you know who you gonna call? :slight_smile:

The sky is falling!!!

Cree has done this to us before (XM-L2, anyone?). Cree will do it to us again. We are enthusiasts who are running these LEDs far outside of their ratings, so anything could change for us at any time. Cree rates the XP-G2 at maximum of 1.5A. That's all the guarantee, so when we can only get 3.5A instead of 4.5A on a single battery well, that's our problem. Same goes for the slight die changes and dedomed emitter performance / tint shift.

I’m pretty sure those are not genuine cree LEDs, changing the die size without notice would be PIA for light designers because existing optics for XP-G2 would not give desired beam angles anymore,which means product redesign; it’s hard to believe that any LED manufacturer would do that without special notice on website and in datasheet.

There’s a press release dated 8th March 2016 specifically saying that the XP-G2 and XP-L are now up to 9% brighter.

led4power

Its a common issue with those big companies, they simply dont give a damn, they can affort it, they are huge
I usualy work with Phillips, Osram est in my work and when we just manage to apply a product in a proiect they just change it without a notice, yet the customer do care

In that case, the emitting angle isnt fixed, the flux isnt fixed too, everything has its” confort for the producer” margins, so i am quite sure its a genuine product