Cree XHP70 up to 4022 Lumens and XHP50 up to 2546 lumens - Multi-die leds.

This is the dream i’m having; some sort of 18650 light that dumps way too many lumens. The MTN Edition Triple XP-L I currently carry is… well damn bright. But it’s like driving a race car every day… seems normal after a while. In order for me to go “Good God that’s bright,” I’m gonna need more lumens (worth to note that everybody else still says “Good God that’s bright” on the XP-L triple.)

I wanna see you shove one of these in mini-mag…

That's the problem. I used to think the MT-G2 was bright on 9 amps, till I did the triple MT-G2 on 9 amps, now a single MT-G2 is just a led.

Where will it all end?

I tried ringing Cutter yesterday to see if they were in stock. I may of rang too late as no one was answering the phone. I'll try again today if I get time.

The problem isn't going to be getting enough lumen, at least not for close range. Everyone (with some cash and mod skills) can make a flashlight with fairly reasonable size that can peak above 20000 lumen. With these emitters, that will be even easier. The lumen race will never end.

The real challenge is making extreme lumen output (10.000-100.000 lumen ) as usable as possible.

http://intl-outdoor.com/cree-xhp50-bare-led-6v12v-p-850.html?zenid=e6d50c1b547a0fd24dbda31af8b7eabe

That was fast, but i can’t see any hue or lumens bin? or am i suppose to extrapolate that from the max lumens from a datasheet somehow……

I can’t wait to see some beam shots of it.
Now we need those noctigons and the XHP70 in top lumens bin please :slight_smile:

Great that intl-outdoor had them, but already sold out :-(

(I failed as a true flashaholic, should not have gone to bed last night ;-) )

I guess that I wont be building a MT-G2 now in a Ultrafire 1226.

From the website I see:

“Description:

Voltage 6V or 12V, user configurable.

Max current 3A and 1.5A respectively

Approximated light output: 2375lumens @1.5A 12.8V 25°C

Approximated light output: 2375lumens @ 3A 6.4V 25°C”

This one seems to be the bottom line is,
“Approximated light output: 2375lumens @ 3A 6.4V 25°C”

So how much more is that then then MT-G2 spec?

As the MT-G2 spec I found calls out 1100ma at 6v it is hard to really compare, as the specs are not apples to apples. We all know we can drive the MT-G2 to 3, 6, 9 and more amps depending on how well the heat sink is working beyond that.

Any thoughts how these will actually stack up in a head to head? apples to apples comparison?

Thanks

Kevin

From IO store

CREE MT-G2 Q0 on Noctigon MT-G20 MCPCB
6V Version
Approximated light output:
920-970lumens at 1100mA 25C
2116-2232lumens at 3000mA 25C
Color temperature: 5000K

So it looks to me (almost) apples to apples:

6V vs 6.4V does this explain the 50 Lumens difference?
3A
25C
That we are looking at approx 50 lumens more (but keep in mind that is already on the other side of 2k lumens) so +50 is probably not all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe we will just like the way it looks better?

Kevin

Yes, talking about over 2000lumens. Always think in percentages at high level of lumens.
Even 100lumens means zero difference on a flooder, means zero on a normal flashlight (large hotspot). The only difference will be for the "pixel peepers" in throwers, where absolute values win (e.g. 1.50 is a higher number than 1.49)

Not sure I can get too excited over a quad die led like this.

I find one of the nicer aspects the Mt-g2 has over smaller single die leds is the pretty even tint distribution over it’s emission angle. ie It doesn’t emit noticeably bluer light out the front vs warmer/yellower light to the sides. Think that’s directly a result of it’s raised multi-die pattern, and while that pattern can cause minor issues in some smooth reflectors, it’s more than good enough in most scenarios.
Assuming this led will behave similarly to 4 xmls I’d expect to see tint variation similar to those leds with the added problem of the cross pattern beam profile. …Meh :frowning:

Bring on the Mt-g3 I say :slight_smile:

Only 200 lumens more… Its hardly noticeable BUT the XHP50 is only 5x5mm size (like XM-L), MT-G2 is 8.9x8.9mm ! The XHP70 is 7x7mm so closer to MT-G2 size.
Meaning we will get more throw but with a windows-pattern beam type.

That is the package size. Throw is not related to package size, but die size (but it looks like die size of these is smaller, too). Also, the beam can be cleaned up with a little orange peel on the reflector or a frosted lens. Still, single die is better for aspheric lenses in perfect focus.

I was too late to pick up the XHP50 from IOS. It was samples from Cree. Who bought them, and when will we hear about the results?

Too bad Djozz did not get one. :_(

There is no ETA, but Hank expects to get more in a month or two. Hopefully that it will not drag out longer..

In the EAGTAC MX25L3 the version with XHP50 have a 35% lux increase vs the MT-G2. MT-G2 does 45.100 lux and 2750 LED Lumen. XHP50 does 61.000 lux and 2800 LED lumen. Looking at the lumen difference between XHP50 and MT-G2 is really missing the point of what these new emitters are capable of (and it can be less than 50 lumen if you are comparing as similar tints as possible). Its not just the lux difference either. Its about what can be done with these, and what type of value they can add to certain type of builds. Sure, MT-G2 might still be preferred in certain lights due to beam quality. Time will tell, but these emitters can outperform the MT-G2 in many different ways depending on what you are looking for. And its not just about MT-G2 vs these emitters either...

EAGTAC says this is a wallshot from 1 meter with the XHP50 in the MX25L3. I believe that is from a smooth reflector. Hopefully that is right.

This was not bought by anyone, I want to send it to djozz as a test sample.

:party:

Just yeah.