Cree XP-L V6 2C led, tested against XM-L2 T6 3C, edit23/7: I repeated the test and measured a dedomed XP-L

The plan here is efficiency, both of beam usage and power as well as tint. So I’m planning a 3D tint, with de-domed XP-L’s under a 50mm triple optic and on the Noctigon 32mm copper star. Trying to work out the trade-offs in current and output vs heat and heat distribution. This one will have a full copper pill with fins exposed to ambient. The idea here being one of pure illumination, not a spot light…probably a 20 yd maximum range for the most part.

Am thinking a Qlite with stacked 7135’s for around 6A will be the ticket here, as it would be run under the lower settings the majority of the time so PWM through an FET wouldn’t be as efficient.

Might try to get one of the new LED4Power (?) drivers for efficient low levels and go with that lesser total current. Not having a PWM would be good, but I’m not sure that driver would run a quad.

Hey, I saw your post of this data on CPF, and came over here to read the rest of it, thanks for your work!

Thanks for the thanks, I appreciate that :-)

CPF is rather unforgiving for experimental results that are not 100% watertight, it was very tiring having to discuss all thinkable flaws in my method that I am all too aware of, so to avoid that (my lazy I guess) I did not post the following results over there. The aim is not scientific proof (can't produce that at home with little money and amateur equipment) but an as good as I can generate working knowledge of a new led.

I understand, I’ve gotten a share of nagging for my measurements as well. Generally, I’ll just post a link to some piece of equipment I would like and inform them they can purchase it for me to improve my measurements :stuck_out_tongue:

Full heartedly agree, I think the stuff djozz posts is 100% brilliant. It was based on some of their others with Nichia219B’s that inspired me to build a Convoy M1 and S4 with that emitter and 3.04A Qlites. Two torches I’m now quite pleased with.

@ Djozz - you get nothing but appreciation and thanks from me! :slight_smile:

hi
test are good but the data comes from the Cree company and your sheets is not true or have no coordination to each other
the lumen output of the original Cree test says one and you test say another
what the different about that?
would you tell me the xp-l that Cree claim produce 200 lumen per watt
have less lumen instead of xm-l2 led that Cree say xp-l have much output toward other xm product
i got hazy due to bad data that i read from articles in the net
if tell me more exact data that i can understand them it go good!

All the data is available already, you just have to know enough to understand how to interpret it. Real world testing has no obligation to match data sheets.

If the data sheets were taken as gospel I wouldn’t have an XP-G2 S4 2B running at 5 amps producing almost 500kcd in a Uniquefire 1405. That’s over 3x rated current and it’s shown no signs of distress even though it’s being pushed to the limit. I trust djozz’s tests more than I trust CREE when it comes to making a decision on how I’m going to run an LED.

alack!
i and all of my patriots cant buy any product of outer of my country due to embargo of united state on my lands
if any prohibition pickup from us than we can import much products and we have more advanced laboratory to test any of them
we have more thirsty to buy them
i hope it become

i am not know you
you kidding me
which nuclear weapon may i have
i heard all Michale Jackson old music song he died and now i not need to hear them if you penchant to hear them
you must have your own flashlights for you own darkness times until you are not be lost
it goods for you to find out not to be kidding me
little baby

are you understood this?

|(
are you human?

I got my eye on these LEDs for my Uniquefire 1405. What can I expect to get out of them dedomed and driven hard? Or is there a better flux bin and tint that I should use?
CREE XP-G2 S2 1D LED on Noctigon 16mm MCPCB
CREE XP-G2 R5 1A LED on Noctigon 16mm MCPCB

1. Cree would never publish test at levels above 3amp
2. Cree`s base test are at 350ma, the rest is USUALY interpolated
3. Same bin and tint emitters can vary up to 10, even more %
4. Not every XPL can produce 200lm/w, and its a reference value at Tc=25 deg C
5. Not everything thats in a manifacturer`s PDF is 100% true, like CRI for instance, they all clame 90+ but usualy its lower, especialy on base colours (R9-R12)
LM80 tests too…

P.S

And chill out pls :wink:

:slight_smile: hi
i thinks that cree use standard test to make a situation for use led for long time
may be the led full life time if other than this they comes to provide more brightness via increase the amount of amper and voltage of led that rather than this led erosion early this is bad happen
i want to take less energy and power consumption for brighten my house
until a 4*3 room use 100 watt incandescent bulb that just 10 watt led enough to brighten that this almost 90% or more to save energy and money may in future cree or other manufacturer release 300 lpw leds it have more beneficent for us

thanks to any one that guide me

Well, they(Cree) already showed 303 lumen per watt, its only a matter of time for those to emerge on the market

On a long term base, its not actualy the led, but the driver that usualy got problems, and the main reason behind this is the driver capacitors: even high graded Elna claim their 105C capacitor to be viable up too 1000-1500 working hours…well, usualy they are great, but after some time( my experience shows 2-3 years, for general lighting) even great quality drivers start mallfunctioning( sometimes faster, sometimes slower, the cooler the amb temp is: the better)

excuse me when cree says we have produce 303 lumen per watt it mean the led technology provide it not the driver
the driver have no change it is steady but the led changes
if you have precision over it they say 100 lumen per watt 200 lumen per watt
300 lumen per watt thus just lumen changes and the watt unit is stable
however they try to use miniature the driver decrease the power usage of it and
lower capacity even lower temperature due to happen in led technology Because for a sample when the Required lumen for brighten in an old led technology use 30 watt consumption to produce 1600 lumen in middle room size so in the new led due to advanced technology on it like (303 lumen per watt ) the new driver use about 8 watt still the driver use less powerless equipment need less produce temperature and many less on it
try to calculate yourself 30-8=22
so in old case 22 watt more energy wasted
:exmark:

The driver is the main point of failure and that has been the main issue with providing longer warranties.
Hamedshh, to get that same 1600 lumens out of an incandescent lamp would have required a 100w+ lightbulb so based on your numbers, that is 70watts saved immediately.
Don’t look at it as 22 watts wasted, look at it as 70 watts saved.

whether in your country energy is cheap?
mean you are not much pay money for electricity energy?
which source your country use for produce electricity?
oil or nuclear power solar power wind power human power you use to produce energy?

because you say 22 watt wastage is not important in energy consumption.
in my country electricity energy price so expensive and very high matter for us to decrease cash pay for electricity because most source of energy in my land is fossil stoker and oil or gas (methane) that our governments push us via increase price of energy
just 1 watt save can be beneficent for us
i get wondered that you say 22 watt energy waste in not important!!!

When it comes to hightest intensity for throw, what would be the best big emitter of the 3 volt choices?

I'm thinking a dedomed XP-L of whatever the highest bin currently is. Then dedomed XM-L2.

By bigger, I mean not the smaller XP-G's, 219C's, etc which may be able to throw better but produce less lumens.

Not sure, the XP-L is more modern, supposed to be SC5-platform, whatever advantage that gives, the XM-L2 has a bigger thermal path. I never had the latest bins for these leds, perhaps someone who uses them dedomed can give numbers from own experience.