Cree XP-L, XM-L performance in an XP size package

In my experience thusfar this is what is going on:

Cree had developed a pretty good new die/substrate combination, and put that on the market in different sizes, first as xpg2, xml2 and xpe2, now the same three sizes in more compact packages. Those are all the same dies: those that came on the market almost two years ago. The surface brightness of this die (output/mmsq) has the same limit for all three sizes (thanks to direct-bond copper boards that limit can easily be reached without overheating the led), although in the xml2 that limit is still not reached because the bond wires (that are the same thickness in all three types) blow before that output is reached.

I will be excited again when a new breakthrough-die comes on the market.

114 lm/w vs 200 lm/w (xml2/xpl).

how did they make that big a jump in efficiency?

Isn’t the xml2 also over 1000 lumens @10W 85C?

Is this new LED actually brighter and more efficient? or is it just an xml2 is a smaller footprint?

We’ve been over this in the thread, but it’s just a smaller footprint. Cree is advertising it as a more flexible solution due to the size. The term Cree is using for this is OCF - Optical Control Factor. Read about that here.

Hope IO will have them soon :slight_smile:

I just don’t see that pic in the datasheet. There’s the picture on page 1 and that’s it.

Page 11

Thanks CRX!

no their not

Cheers

One of the other XP-L threads had this disappointing bit of info that should be here too. Thanks welight for finding this out for us.

So that means it's a non starter for RMM's triple XP S3.

If things go according to plan, I should have these in a light soon...and hopefully get at least 3200 lumens. Optics are still an issue though.

I'd love to see another test of these on a Sinkpad or Noctigon to find out if it'll do far over 3 amps like the XM-L2 and XP-G2 does, and if so, to know if it'll top out around 6 amps like the XP-G2 or climb well over 8 amps like the XM-L2. I'd love to see the XM-L2 dethroned.

If only there were a way to get rid of those pesky domes! Has anyone tried soaking them in some kind of solvent? I wonder if gasoline would work?

Gasoline? Really? Nah.
I just been trying to roast them off with a blowtorch. Made some delicious cree s’mores! Just no good de-domes as of yet. I shall not be deterred!

Why?
You think they changed the dome material?
If not, it will work like any Cree dedome: dunk in car fuel for some time.
(or did i miss something?)

He is joking (as was I). Yes, gasoline should work.

IS has them, I ordered some... I'd be surprised if they behave any better than the XM-L2, the smaller footprint should make thermal transfer a bit worse I guess.

Yes and as already discussed (maybe it was in a different thread), a dedomed XM-L2 (which has the same die as the XP-L) has a beam very similar to a non-dedomed XP-G2. So in the 20mm triples, a dedomed XP-L should work about the same as XP-G2 in the same setup, just with moar lumenz.

That kills most of the efficiency gains though. I'd rather save a couple bucks and some hassle and stick with an XP-G2.

But it's the same old XM-L2 die stuck onto a XP footprint substrate, how does that do anything to alter the efficiency? Shouldn't behave any differently than a dedomed XM-L2.

I haven’t checked the site or anything but I see some conflicting information

1) 1000lm @ 10W
And
2) 200lm/W

??? Not sure what’s going on here…

Am I working this out wrong? 10W should be 2000lm not 1000?

But from what I’ve gathered, in stock for because of the smaller dome they’ll throw further than an XML2. but De-domed it will be similar or worse due to the smaller heat pad.

I guess only one way to find out… We need this emitter tested STAT

Cree is saying there's improved output of the XM-L2 by about 10% across the range of currents they publish. Unless djozz tests prove otherwise, I have no reason to doubt Cree's claims.

I expect dedoming to have the same effect as dedoming an XM-L2, which is a reduction in lumens. Fortunately that doesn't affect my plans in the very near future, and hopefully after that there will be updated Carclo lenses.