Current Best Single 18650 thrower

Pok, I can never get over just how astounding that light is!

Wow that's a really amazing thrower. Would love to see something like that in person. The best thrower I seen or tested is a friends DBS v3 2x18650 light.

Maybe the twice farther criteria is a bit too much, 80k lux maybe?

Wow...Pok is very fast. :D

80k cd can just get a Dereelight DBS aspheric and be done with it. 82 bucks i think.... 90k cd plus with 2 cells, i believe with 1 x 18650 i measured to be like 50k or so. it's not budget light, but the built is definitely at the top level of budgetlight, and I don't see many CPFers dissing it as well. Not too bad!

How much do you ask for this light if you would make it again :p?

I would be surprised if a stock HD2010 out-threw your X9 setup. If you modded it with a U2 flux BIN and UCL lens maybe it would, but stock I dont think it will. The stock 2010 driver drives the XML pretty hard with a good cell that can deliver ~4A. The 2010 and X9 have very similar reflectors... IIRC. The X9 and HD2010 are the biggest single cell XML reflector designs I know of with reflector dish slightly over 50mm diameter. Someone posted in another thread that their stock HD2010 did about ~40K Lux. Andi did an XML mod to get nearly 80k Lux from an XML... thread here. I am not sure if double Lux equates to double the throw distance though.

Since you're looking for TWICE the throw distance, I think you need to start looking at XRE die projection aspherics, XRE in a big (50mm++) reflector or bigger HID designs. The XML is just not the best coice if you want to put a spot of light way out there. You have to go to pretty extreme measures with designs that may not be very practical physically or financially.

FWIW I have this light on order... they say its overall diameter is 58mm. So I am guessing it also has a 50+mm reflector. I'll post impressions when it arrives, I would not expect this light to out-throw the HD2010 or X9 though.

http://www.easylightbuy.com/mxdl-sa76-cree-xml-t6-led-5mode-flashlight-torch_p2456.html

I can throw a single 18650 cell 127 feet! Try and beat that...

:bigsmile:

Is that because the XRE has a Vf>Vbatt in a single cell configuration?... so you need to buck 2xseries Vbatt down to XRE-Vf?

thanks!!

I will tell you when I get bezel host

If you drive XR-E @ 1.4A Vf is around 3.6 - 4.0V.

But @ 1.4A while 1x18650 Vin sag to 3.8-4.0V, so you need Vin > Vf around 1V up and depend on driver.

OK thanks!!

I have a lot of XR-Es with relatively low Vf, I mean if you drive them with a good cell, the current goes up to 2A easily. Starting from this, if you combine these XR-Es with a 1.5A amc7135 board, you will get a nicely regulated output.

And this is my cheap version of 66mm aspherical:

lens was $4.9, host ~$6, led ~$3-4 = 130-140k lux ;)

but I don't like it so much, the beam is too narrow for me, like a laser.

Wow nice host, could you have any link for this host.

Thanks.

Not so "nice", but moddable. That was 1280HUF = $5.5 on a hungarian auction site.

something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqpmqDEQOcw

Thanks for link,I think this bezel of this host is 62mm

But DX aspheric lens is about 66-67mm and bezel will be about 70-72 mm

So It fit with this host? or maybe you lathe a bezel to cover lens?

Hi Kramer, I have the 2x18650 version of this light. The reflector itself is about 48mm and taking into account the complete external diameter with the stainless bezel, it's 55mm. Although this light throws well and has decent brightness, on HIGH mode it only draws .78a. So it's no powerhouse at all. I only purchased it because I liked the looks of it and not to be blown away by it. I'm curious to hear your impressions of your 1x18650 version when it arrives.

The best throwing single cell light I own is my Romisen RC-T601 from Shiningbeam. I have the old model and I hear the new model he has is even better. Less than $30. Will it throw as far as my best throwers, Olight M3X and Fenix T41? No. But it's better by quite a bit than my other throw lights and throws far enough that I don't feel a lacking need for more when I'm using it.

Harbor freight has this 109 LED light with a gigantic head just begging for a huge aspheric. The specs don't say lens diameter but I'm guessing between 3.5"-4". All aluminum with a side-clicky and it takes 3*AA cells in a fat body. $18 right now.

have to grind down the outer border of the lens, and because of the big focal lenght, I had to put the lens to the top of the original bezel, and I made a new protective bezel...

I have this host and 75mm aspheric lens from DX too.

But DX 75mm lens is very poor quality.

Left 75mm lens with 109LED host, Right 66mm lens