Custom AMC7135 Driver

:slight_smile: Glad you enjoyed the sneak-peak! Just remember, no-one builds up a Shelby as their first project!

PPtk

Great work! Where did you buy the thermal epoxy? How does it compare to arctic silver epoxy?

Thanks Alex. Compliment appreciated :slight_smile:

The Wakefield Deltabond 155 can be bought from lots of Electronics distributors. Newark, for instance, is but one of them.
http://www.newark.com/wakefield-solutions/155/adhesive-epoxy-tube-6fl-oz-us/dp/00Z743

How does it compare to Arctic Silver Adhesive? Honestly - I wish I could say for sure. I canā€™t find (and I JUST looked again) any meaningful datasheet on the stuff.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_thermal_adhesive.htm
I trust wakefield - theyā€™ve been in the Thermal management game for a LONG time, and theyā€™re well respected in applications way more important than overclocking a gaming computer. My opinion of Arctic silver has never been that high - Itā€™s more of a marketing shill than anything. Additionally - Arctic silver fully admits that their material is quite electrically capacitive - thatā€™s bad for some types of electronics (including buck/boost drivers). Kids overclocking their PC use Arctic Silver, Engineers and Scientists using Wakefieldā€¦ Thereā€™s probably a reason :slight_smile:

PPtk

What to say? ORSM. I dont understand how the different components work but do understand what you wanted to achieve. Good stuff.

PilotPTK,

In a word, Wow! Outstanding execution of design. It almost seems a pity to use it for a mere P60 Cool

Match, coming from you, that is quite a compliment! Thank You!

I know, I knowā€¦ But I like the P60 form-factorā€¦ I canā€™t help it :slight_smile:

Total respect for your work. Iā€™m a little sad that you donā€™t want to commercialize these (youā€™d be right in line, price-wise with Georgeā€™s Taskled drivers, fwiw), but thereā€™s a lot to be said for not taking on an outlandish number of projects.

Amazing work, PPtk!! You never fail to impress. :wink:

+1! Me too. I donā€™t think that price ($25)is crazy at all.

Keith

Bravo!!! Nothing like making something truly unique for yourself. Cheers, Willie

Iā€™ll be buying tons if they were produced

WOWā€¦ that left me speachless. Very impressive work.

So your current levels are achieved by powering ON-OFF the 7135 chips independently?

Which side of the 7135 do you switch, the -B or +Bā€¦ or both?

How well does each 7135 handle the ā€œinrushā€ of current, or the current surgeā€¦ with adjacent chips being turned on / off?

Sorryā€¦ I dont know how to read schematics very wellā€¦ thanks!!

All I can say is AWESOME

HOT! It should have said hot!

As in :

"And does you host actually get that hot that you see a stepdown?"

I am sorry about the typo. I do most of my forum rummaging late evenings early nights and it does show from time to time.

Proof reading my own posts is something I tend to forget.

But thank you for the show and that you also have/take time to answer questions.

That clarifies things a bit :slight_smile: Happy to take the time - Iā€™m glad you enjoy reading my ramblings.

P60 hosts donā€™t have much thermal mass - when running an XM-L at 3 Amps, thats (3 * battery voltage) Watts of heat (at 4.0V, 12 Watts) that gets generated between the emitter and the linear driver. A P60 canā€™t handle that for long without getting uncomfortably hot. 50C thermal-cut off will almost certainly trigger a step-down after some time of being on.

PPtk

Glad you like! Quite a compliment coming from our resident Driver Provider :slight_smile:

Thank you, thatā€™s very kind.

The 7135 has an on/off input that allows it to be turned on and off. The 7135 is perfectly comfortable being controlled even by high(ish)speed PWM so itā€™s designed to tolerate switching on and off frequently and rapidly. Because of the way these chips operate, they donā€™t ā€œSeeā€ the current of other chips in parallel Electrically, they have no idea that theyā€™re not all by themselves which means that adjacent chips have very little effect on each other.

PPtk

So weā€™re pretty much the exact opposite of each other in that respect, lol.

One thing to be aware of with 7135 type chipsā€¦ if you try and switch them off via the Vdd pin and an LED is connected, the circuit can still draw a couple of milliamps! The chip is specā€™d with a standby current of 100 uA, but that is apparently with no load path connected. For the lowest possible standby current, you want to PWM/enable via an external FET.

Havenā€™t gotten it fired up yet (no time to write micro code), but if thatā€™s true, that would suck. A lot. On a 17mm board, there just isnā€™t room for much more than I already have!

PPtk