Custom AMC7135 Driver

Hi everybody

Can You tell me the efficiency on lo and med mode?
i thing it should be much more better than regular 8x7135

It seems to me there is no low mode without using PWM.
380mA in a XM-L produces 130-140 lumens OTF.

On my board, there is one small additional section that isn’t on the schematic. It handles current regulation at the very low power levels (I can control it down to 0.1mA). Unfortuantely, I can’t share that part of the schematic as it’s a circuit that my employer considers confidential, and I’m bound by NDA.

PPtk

Don’t you hate that.

More than you know. I think I’ll re-design the circuit just so that I can release it…

Because of the thermal control this would work great in a Surefire G2.

Awesome little driver PPtk - specially fitting all of that in a 17mm board. Very well done :bigsmile:

The $25 would be more than fair price given how much time/effort it takes to design/build/write software/etc., plus of course the raw cost of the parts. You said it well - can’t compete with minimum wage in Asia.

texaspyro - that is the same behavior I found with my own 7135-based drivers. Even when the PWM signal from the Tiny85 is zero, the 7135 is not “completely” OFF - there is enough internal leakage or some high impedance path (the chip’s ground is of course still connected) that still allows some very small current to flow through the LED.

Will

Yes, it is not a problem when you are switching power via a tail cap switch, but can be really bad news if you want to do a “soft” power switch via the PWM/Vdd input.

I would not build a high power driver using the 7135’s due to these issues and power wastage issues in linear regulators. A switch mode driver would be more appropriate. Unfortunately, due to the fact that the LED Vf and the battery voltage curves (for single LiPo cells) can cross, you need a buck-boost driver. These can have their own efficiency issues.

I hope you have fun here, kicaj222!

Thank You. BDW i am s.u.r.f.a.c.e user too.

Awesome driver PPtk!

Would it be possible to modify a standard Nanjg 105C board to have Mode-Memory that sets after turn-off rather than after turn-on?

How expensive would a custom AMC7135 board be with (because I recon you would get a lot of interest off the forum for something like this, I know I would buy 4):

• 3-mode (L/M/H) or 5-mode (moonlight/low/medium/high/turbo), maybe have 2 stars and people can solder them on their own free will. I will simplify coding the chips.
  • Had Mode-Memory that sets after turn-off rather than after turn-on.
  • Had Low-Voltage cut-off that would reduce brightness, but not completely leave me without light.
  • Had Temperature monitoring/throttling so that I wouldn’t burn up a light if I left it on.

Does anyone know of someone who could build something similar for me? I don’t need the low-power mode and I’m basically just interested in a driver which turns on a new AMC7135 chip for each click of the button. This would create an eight-level driver without PWM. I think that could be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Can't believe I missed this one! Great work pptk!

Did you work with FT on their driver? Individually controlled amc. Then your light bar I drool over... Was that WiFi or BT controlled?

Simon,

We can do it together if you like. I’m thinking of using a 20pin SSOP part but might be hard
to put/layout it in a 17mm board.
:beer:

Thanks Pulsar. Nope, I didn't work with FastTech on theirs - in fact, I didn't even know they had one! Link?

My light bar is Blue-Tooth controllable, although I never got around to writing an android app for it. I have an app that I pounded together in VB for windows that runs on my netbook, but I really do want to figure out how to write it for Android one of these days..

PPtk

their driver in the flex asgard

Ohhh.. That one. Gotcha. I thought they had an individually addressable 17mm driver available. That Flex Asgard driver won't quite fit in a P60 :)

no it wont, but both of the good features were already featured in your features...

by the way, anyone mention lately how awesome that light bar is?

Very nice. Seems like there would be some out there willing to pay for them. Especially professionals working with moving machinery.

Do you have any links that could help one learn to program the type of mcu you used?

I’m up for a challenge, although even the abbreviation SSOP is beyond me. I’m sure I’m out of my depth.