Custom High power LED light bar

how about this as a driver?
you can use one of this converter for each LED,
assuming you gonna use it as a 6 volt configuration. and assuming you want one mode (high all the time)
it could go up to 5 amper with hitsink, but 3 amper will do fine without.

I have the drivers set in stone for the bar, I won’t be changing that part unless I find something super special. They look a little too flimsy for my liking, the inductor in particular and I’d prefer soldered connections over screw terminals. Also yes, the drivers I have picked out have 4 current modes: 100, 50, 25, 12.5. Thanks for posting though, keep it coming, you never know. Anyways, the 30mm Carclo’s came in, (4 more of them), still waiting for the Gaggione, but those are coming from the U.S…

Here are a couple of quick beam shots from the 67mm Gaggione and the 30mm Carclo Elliptical. It is quite different to see next to no field with the Gaggione, just a nice even flat hot spot.

!!

I love it.

!!

Check out that hotspot!

!!

!!

!!

!!

Looks really good so far. Keep up the good work. Nice and a needed application, we don’t need 50” bars to put out proper degrees of light. I can see these discretely mounted on bumpers, cargo racks or on a roof top remote control.

Glad this project is still alive.

How do you plan on switching modes?

Thanks. Well this bar will put a 50” light bar to shame, pick any on the market, I guarantee you it will outshine and have a much better quality of light. :slight_smile:

Remote control, yes, that would be nice.

Me too. :slight_smile:

This is something I haven’t worked out exactly, but a nice small rotary dial switch is in order for that task. Speaking of which, the light bar would need (if I want spot and flood to have individual controls and 4 modes) a master on/off switch, on/off switch for spot, and two 4 position turn dial switches for flood and spot brightness modes.

Something like this, an inexpensive remote control device so you don’t have to drill holes in your vehicle

I prefer simplicity and reliability. ON / OFF rocker switches, no modes. My headlights already give me low and medium.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-Shipping-12V-DC-6-Channel-RF-Wireless-Relay-Remote-Control-Home-Control-Switch-System-Light/1415075_32272624145.html

Or this?

I would still prefer a solid control panel in the dash of the car, personally. I might be worried about wireless devices like these for long term reliability?

For a dial switch, I was thinking something like this, but not so expensive…

http://www.kuranda.co.uk/kalori-heater-matrix/kalori-accessories/rotary-switch-black

I don’t know about long term reliability any better or worse than an inexpensive multi-position switch, but I do know I’m not going to drill holes into the firewall or dashboard of my brand new truck. I keep a vehicle for about 4 years, then resell or trade it in. Would want my $300 light bar easy to de-install and re-install on a new vehicle without leaving behind damage on the old vehicle.

I like that idea.

I’ve yet to come across a vehicle that didn’t have grommets in the firewall that worked for pushing wires through and left it sealed up.

I can barely get my phone to pair to things with Bluetooth, I’d hate to be trying to fight with my wireless light bar while driving if there was oncoming traffic.

What does bluetooth have to do with a wireless fob? I can open my garage door a block and a half away from my house. But never mind.

Yeah, these are not the same as a bluetooth connection, more reliable no doubt than BT. Whom ever is seriously interested in this, I will have to custom make the wiring harness to accommodate either a wireless switch, or a switch panel… I am not sure if brightness modes will be possible with the wireless units, at least not ALL the modes, but we will get to that point later.

I somtimes just want to say F@#$ it also, having different modes makes wiring a headache.

EDIT: In fact, let’s make a poll, whom ever is SERIOUSLY interested in the light bar let me know if you would want simple on/off or modes…

1. Simple mains ON/OFF switch

2. Simple(ish) mains ON/OFF switch w/spot ON/OFF switch

3. Mains switch, spot switch, and a rotary switch to select 4 modes

I live in an area where it can be 106F. I think I would much prefer method 3. Main toggle, spot toggle, mode rotary. 4 wheelin hot summer running max, too much light, too much heat, too many bugs. Low to Medium for running it up the creeks. Medium for wooded areas. High for large open running. Turbo for beach, dunes, grins and giggles or cooking hot dogs. You made them so small they SCREAM “RUN IN PAIRS”

Cargo mounted side lights LOW all night long in flood any where.

I vote just make the light bar simple on/off.

I can worry about putting a remote switch on it if I’m the only one who wants one. There are several of them if you google 12volt wireless off/on switch. Even a waterproof one made for boats.

Still interested in these. It would be great if once I check out the first one, I could buy more, any chance of having a second run? Sure friends would want one once they see mine but probably wouldn’t buy one until then.

Very interested. I prefer option 3 with modes and the spot on/off would be beautiful as well.

My other concern would be waterproofness, durability and reliability, and resistance against rock pitting and chipping. What are your thoughts regarding those items?

Perhaps, if people post reviews or like them then sure I will make more.

If this stays around 350 range, I’m very interested. Beam profile looks great, 5k emitters sound perfect, and 20k lumens from something that small is fantastic! Using 4 modes would be nice, but if it comes down to only on off for spot and flood I’d still buy one.