Custom orders from hank?

I heard that you can order customized lights from Hank on intl-outdoor. I tried to find a guide on both reddit and blf on how to do this but couldnt. I know i have to send the order number to Hank in an email after the purchase but how do i know what options are available for the light in question? And can i get mules like on jlhawaii808 directly(im in europe so intl-outdoor would be the best for me) or would i need to order a light without the mcpcb and solder my own and put that in the light?
Thanks in advance

1 Thank

I would say first you need to know exactly what you want to ask for to be customized. Maybe you take too literally some of the jokes put out online, “Hank secret menu” for example.
On the same note jlhawaii808 sells some stuff that are his own, some SFT40 mules for example and others, which aren’t available at Hank.

My first custom order would be a d4v2 mule with high cri and low colour temperature nichia leds(probably), havent decided on the exact details yet. But as I dont really know whats a possibility an what isnt I cant really decide. I dont like to make decisions when I dont know all my options and I cant just order a new light every time I get/see a new idea.

Just email Hank first with what You’re looking for and he’ll guide You through the process if it’s possible :slight_smile:

3 Thanks

Well you gotta figure that out first. Browse the forums, watch some videos, check out some of the hanklight ordering guides like this one by Chuele, or this one by luxwad.

3 Thanks

The more interesting off-menu modifications I have seen involve the metal used for the bezel and button ring, copper and brass being popular.

I have not asked for any off-menu changes as I am a simple man with simple tastes.

1 Thank

But this option is on stock.
You don´t need to custumize

https://intl-outdoor.com/led-flashlights/emisar-d4v2-high-power-led-flashlight.html

You have to scroll all the way down to see this option.
Also available: Nichia E21A down to 2000K and Nichia 519A down to 2700K

1 Thank

I also see the mule version is on the bottom of the description. Theres a 16x mule also right? Its no in the description.

When I use the word Custom in regards to Hank lights, Im refering to the choice of LEDs and other accessories. Hank does not build mules, that JLHawaii offers.

Regarding Mules
We can get a similarly diffused beam from a Hanklight by choosing a floody optic. Floody optics can serve the same purpose as a mule.

Which Hank to get:

The newest Hank light is the Emisar D3AA, on the order page you can choose the body color, LED, and several other details and accessories such as a pocket clip and a magnetic tailcap.

here is a pic of an order I would suggest for your consideration:

I chose a nice warm LED for you (personal favorite), plus a floody optic as an extra option.

I did not choose the Stainless bezel, due to weight balance, but that is something you might want to choose, if it pleases your aesthetic preferences.

I chose the magnetic tailcap, it can be useful, but you may choose to also add a non magnetic cap, so you have both options.

The D3AA is a small light, good for close range and indoor distances.

If you want a larger, heavier light, with more battery capacity, the D4V2 is the next step up, with similar LED and accessory options…

but if you have your heart set on a JLHawaii Mule, which he builds himself, buy it from him :wink:

I saw a picture on reddit with a DW4 mule with 16 E21A LEDs

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hanklights/comments/103agd8/nld_dw4_mules_e21a_and_519a/

And it´s claimed to be ordered by Hank directly: "My custom order from Hank directly. "

Thank for the link. Hank does offer a Right Angle Mule called DW4.
Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 11.12.37 AM

I thought the D4V2 Mule the OP is talking about, is something that is only offered by JLHawaii.

But I could be mistaken. It would be a good idea for the OP to ask Hank directly, if he can build a D4V2 Mule.

1 Thank

Im gonna ask Hank probably because I know he makes 8x mules but jlhawaii also has 16x mules and i dont know if hank makes them.

1 Thank

Regarding Mules
We can get a similarly diffused beam from a Hanklight by choosing a floody optic. Floody optics can serve the same purpose as a mule.

I want a mule because they are even floodier than the floody optics and when you spread the light over a larger area(flood) you need more light to get the same visibility but in turn you illumnate a larger area. Leds are more efficient on lower power levels so if you have 4x the leds(16 instead of the base 4) you have a more efficient light and that matters a lot with high cri low temp leds because they are inefficient. So with the mule id get more uniform flood, higher output, longer runtime but much less throw.

In the past Hank did build a 16x Mule D4.
In my case a D4 with 16x E21A in 3500K. It´s from Dez. 2020

https://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/threads/emisar-d4v2-nichia-e21a.77145/post-1100953

Impressions from the Taschenlampenforum (in German)

thanks for sharing your reasoning

these are some of my thoughts, not meant as an argument, just sharing a different perspective

the reason I dont like mules, is that I find they spread the light wider than necessary. This is inefficient and wastes power sending light sideways, where I dont need it.

A mule will be dimmer on target (Lux as opposed to Lumens), than a more collected beam that gathers light that would have gone sideways, and focuses it forward.

A narrower beam is more efficient than a wider beam.

A mule is not efficient. In actual use it will be dimmer on target, than a light with a narrower beam, at the same Lumens.

otoh, if your application actually needs the full 180 degree light spread of a mule, definitely get a mule. Not because of its efficiency, or lack of, but because you want the ultra wide beam.

Yeah but technically speaking in lm/w is higher but the “useful” light is lower. I mainly want it for indoor use and in thick forests as a total mule in those conditions is AMAZING. Indoor its nice because you dont get an annoying hotspot and you get a full field of vision. My edc is actually much throwier as i dont want to carry around extra weight just to shine all over the place. For edc the carclo optics used on hank lights are my favourite because they have a nice hotspot and a nice equal spill.

sounds beautiful!

I hope Hank can build you the mule you seek :wink:

1 Thank