Cut down mini mag driver thread

Not sure if there is a thread like this but I wanted to make this for reference for builders of the mini mags :)

Post any drivers that will work/fit into a stock mini mag and a cut down mini mag flashlight

Even for triple builds ect.... Will delete post if there is a thread like this ?

1. BLF SK68 15mm

2. Designed but not tested yet

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/

3.posted this here for know :)

Triples won’t fit in a stock AA Minimag and any 17mm driver fits. The BLF sk68 is 15mm.

I could certainly post links to the build threads of the few I’ve done but mine all involve boring out the head with the drill press to fit a copper pipe pill. Some like to use the led version to gain added depth for the driver but I’m cheap and would rather start with the $10 Incan version and add fins to gain head length. Even that’s not really necessary.

That would be great to have the links, I started this thread because iv been seeing few nice builds but they don't post where to buy the driver and info on it, so it would be a great reference thread if anyone would envoy it as much as I would :)

To begin with I think most of the posted Micromag builds are listed in a sticky in the DIY forum but by builder and not sorted for this particular mod. OL has far and away the most numerically but Match and JohnnyMac have some as well and each modder brings their own talents and tastes into play. If you want them all here then you’ll have to edit them into the op as only you can do that.

I recently put this 15mm driver on OSH Park, but it is untested. I haven’t started a driver thread for it or ordered any - I don’t use 14500’s etc.

A15DD-SO8

It’s got the tallest components on top. IIRC you shouldn’t need a driver spring for a button-top AA / 14500.

thanks wight ill add it to the top, and mark it as (in progress) just so everyone knows it might not work in a cut down mag

What’s the keep out dia on those bottom components. One of the typical parts of a Micromag mod involves cutting back the tube threads a bit which also opens the tube end so a 14xxx cell fits there as well as the tail. I typically isolate driver ground from the pill and have it only make contact with the deanodized tube end so component clearance is key. The recessed pos is easily taken care of with a copper/brass button which I need anyway for the flat top 14650 Efest cells I use.

edit- 2 examples of the isolated ground of the driver.

It sounds to me like a 17mm driver makes more sense for these builds than a 15mm driver.

The A15DD-SO8 uses an approximately 13.5mm component keepout, but note that traces and pads actually extend far beyond 13.5mm. The pads extend out to a hair over 14mm.

I agree. Both of those pictured above are 17mm, 1 AK-47 single sided with 6 chips (2 added) and 1 105C with 6 chips(2 removed). Making that tinned copper disc and connecting it to the driver gnd was a pita but necessary for clearance.