Cyansky Hunter - Flawed Filter Design

Flawed Filter Design.

The filters are too close to the LED and is heating up and darkening, this is reducing the range rapidly and makes the red only usable out to 40m of good lighting. Cyansky state 245m red ANSI. I measured 220m down to only 75m ANSI. These should never have been sold. This issue has been missed on every review for the Cyansky H3, H3 V2, H5 and Hunter models.

It seems Cyansky only tested the turn on lumen and range numbers for the filters.

3 Thanks

That sucks

Back when you noticed it I checked my H3 v2 and was able to confirm it, so I updated my review. It happened so quickly that I always observed the poor performance and never noticed it performed better in the first few seconds. This really sucks.

1 Thank

Linking the r/flashlight discussion on the issue, just to have all the info in the same place: https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/189udla/red_filter_darkens_in_color_can_someone_explain/

1 Thank

Lol, that’s really bad.

Cyansky have mentioned that they tried various filters and it’s made no difference, the darkening still happens from the rapid heat. It’s just a poor design that they never properly tested.

Hopefully they learn from this, but really they should be recalling the H3 V2.0 and Hunter models. I don’t know how much they care for their customers when they’re still on the market. They should have taken everything down when they themselves verified my findings.

1 Thank

Are those filters made of plastic, or glass?

They should have used dichroic filters.

GOBOs have figured this out long ago, they get plenty warm without adverse effects.

As far as I’m aware, they’re glass filters.