D.I.Y. Illuminated tailcap

hello. this is my first post on this forum. i dont sign up for forums, typically a lurker. ive read quite a bit but still very new to electronics in general. flashlights are teaching me a lot for sure. i need some help with my tailswitch (led switch from simon for s2+/c8+, etc.) i popped it in and at first was bright then flickered to dim and is staying dim. for my s2+ and c8+. theyre both using the same drivers. qlite rev.a 87135 from richard. on the c8 driver it is now a 127135 and the s2+ which i have not done anything to yet (until i finish the c8) is a 10*7135. not sure if LEDs matter but s2 is the triple build with nichia 219c and c8 is single led thrower with xpl hi. ive noticed other posts talking about 221 resistor and saw the pic as well. the tailswitch really lights up well in the c8+ now and i love it but now i dont have modes. seems like its stuck at 100% or whatever mode i was in last before i made the change. i unfortuneatly do not have a multimeter yet to test anything with so im just tinkering untill something works. looking at this picture again it seems like that resistor is possibly getting a connection at the other peg to the left. would that cause this? i know this post is old so im not expecting much but any help is appreciated, thank you :slight_smile:

Please enjoy your time here, milkerman!

1 Thank

That resistor looks out of place. Did you do that?

Have you tried swapping back to be regular tail switch? IIRC not all drivers work with the lighted tail switch, but I don’t remember why.

yes i did that. and it did increase my tailswitch brightness but at the cost of only having flashlight on at 100% when activated. the driver worked perfectly fine without the resistor, my issue was the tailswitch light is just too dim. it actually flickered to regular brightness for a moment then went back to dim when i put it in at first before i started this resistor thing. that happened with just about all my lights that operate off the qlite rev.a driver. there is nothin wrong with the lights. they all work normally with the regular tailswitch. im wondering, would ptting a resistor on the tailswitch side do what i want it to do? just make the tail light brighter? or thatll probably work but drain too much battery i assume

Oh, I don’t know too much about those. But the lighted tail switch has a resistor, right? If you want the switch light brighter then I would think stacking or swapping that resistor would be the way to go.

In my opinion that is too low.
It’s possible the low resistance is causing your mode switching issue.

In the picture you posted, the bleeder should go from the Positive Spring to the center pin on the 7135 chip because it connects directly to ground.

If the tailcap was lighting up before adding a bleeder, I’d only use a 680ish Ohm bleeder.

so im actually an idiot. i automatically assumed the flashlight wouldnt come out of 100% mode. i think it was factory reset when i added the resistor becausei tried entering programming and it worked out. now my problem is no memory which i believe someone else had similar issues on what im working with so ill have to read into that. i believe you are correct about the 221 resistor in it being too low. im scrapping old electronics over here so as soon as i come across something in the range of 5-700 or so i am going to try it out. i am eye balling my battery too to see what the drain is like. i have also since swapped out the resistor from the location it is in and put between the spring and star number 1. its a better spot.

1 Thank

If you have a second 220ohm you may be able to fit 2 of them in series.

2 Thanks

its been awhile. but ive got everything working for the most part now. i just dont have mode memory anymore and its a thrower light so i figure all i need is a high and low and thats what its got. i dont mind flipping between the two without memory. i took off the 220 resistor, and added 2 - 331s in series. i do not have a multimeter still but the light has been hangin out for about a week with random uses through out. cant imagine ive got too much drain on it so id say mission accomplished :slight_smile: thanks guys.

on a side note, im wanting to do some more modding :smiley: i think i read the convoy drivers all run convoys lighted tail switches without a problem, is this true? i have a triple build i will be working on soon. i want to use the 17mm FET + 7135 MTN driver for a triple CSLMN1.TG build in an S2+ that is paired with of course a convoy lighted switch. i already own the MTN driver with bistro on it and the host which is why i first asked about the convoy drivers. no orders have been placed yet but i figure if i have to order from MTN then i might buy an easier driver to work with or maybe a backup if i fail. thanks again, i know i type a lot. :slight_smile:

1 Thank

Not all but you should be safe with any of the 12group drivers.

1 Thank

That MTN driver with Bistro is my favorite driver for triples/quads! You’ll need to put a bleeder resistor on it though in order for it to function properly.

oh awesome, whats the magic number for that driver? just ordered a 1206 and an 0805 resistor kit along with some purple leds. 1206s to make life easier on driver and 0805s for the switches. gonna swap out the leds on a convoy switch first as some practice then ill look into making my own board with pots on it. also just discovered this driver and ordered it, will be tinkering with it on this topic. ill update in 2 or 3 weeks when aliexpress delivers :slight_smile:

I use a 220 ohm resistor. For the last several of them I placed them on the bottom of the driver, but before I used to put them on top:

FYI: Most Purple LEDs I’ve seen are UV or Near UV.
So they don’t produce a lot of visible light.

I found some “Pink/Purple” LEDs on Ali that produce nice Purple light.
The Store is LoCN.

i knew the purple LEDs were suspicious. the pictures looked dimmer than the pink but i chose purple on faith instead. ill have to take a look at that for next time i order something off aliexpress. purple is my favorite color. @NeutralFan thanks for the pics!

1 Thank

I’ve also gotten some pink purple LEDs. They are more purple than the pink ones (duh), but definitely not the dimmer purple/UV LEDs.

Here’s where I bought them on eBay (they have pink, pink purple, and purple): SMD LED 0402 0603 0805 1206 3528 5730 Diodes Single Chip RGB Light PCB

1 Thank